Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 11-09-2019, 06:56 PM

Hi Jennifer, your build brings back lots of good memories. My shed is the same size 60x40x12/14' walls that I designed and fabricated. A large sliding door and entry door at the front (driveway) and a second sliding door and entry door at the side into our yard.
I did have shire restrictions on the height but needed a 14' high entry door, Looked everywhere but could not find an existing supplier who had a standard design to suit my needs. This build is 19 years old this year and unfortunately it was pre digital camera days so I dont have a lot of pics.
I have a few more pics and lots more build information if you are interested.
Gazza
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shed ground layout.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	152963   Click image for larger version

Name:	shed frame front.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	152964   Click image for larger version

Name:	shed front adding roof.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	152965   Click image for larger version

Name:	shed front almost done.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	152966  
Old 11-09-2019, 07:03 PM
Gadget Girl

That is really amazing..

So what did you end up doing for the build? did you do it yourself?

what did you end up with for a peak roof height?

What did you use for insulation?

I know it will all work out. Not sure exactly how or time frames but it will be exactly what it is supposed to be. Faith I guess.

If I defend myself I am attacked.

My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:27 PM

Thanks Jennifer, I will start with this, I hope you dont mind a cut and paste.
It all started when I needed a large shed to relocate my business from a factory to a home based business, so after a few months of not finding exactly what I needed I decided to design and build my own.
My local shire had restrictions on overall size and height, I was able to build oversize up to the 40' x 60' (18 x 12m)but was restricted to a maximum height of 17' (5.1m) but still had to have a 14' (4.2m) high front door so I could fit a truck inside. Then to complicate things I was required to allocate a set area for the business but the rest could be storage workshop area, so I built an office area at ground level with a raised floor area 20' x 10' (6 x 3m) work room 4' above the floor so I could use the space underneath for ground level storage.

First pic is an overall drawing of the shed taken off my computer to give you an idea of how it was constructed. The other images are basic sketchup designs in 3d to give you a better idea of what was built.

Will post some more tonight, cheers
Gazza
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Shed layout.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	152967   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shed front sketch up.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	152968   Click image for larger version

Name:	shed inside sketchup.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	152969   Click image for larger version

Name:	shed side sketch up.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	152970  
Old 11-09-2019, 08:00 PM
Gadget Girl

That is interesting.. So, did you build the building itself? Or did you contract it out?

Did you end up making the building wider with the aim of having the restrictions and needing to include the office?

Did you insulate? No windows? What about power? AMPs/service?

it looks amazing.

If I defend myself I am attacked.

My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:58 AM

Yes,I drew up the design for my 60x40 x14' steel framed shed using a 2d sign program and had all of the computations done by an engineer. He originally said that I should add another truss/frame so the span between the frames was about 4.5 metres but he added more strength to the structure by overlapping the "Z" purlins and girts by nearly a metre on all joints, plus he added lots of diagonal bracing which was easy and cheap to do as it was only made from 1/2" rod.
All of the steel of the 2"x6"x1/8" frame was cut out using a standard 4x6 bandsaw. I had access to a factory and decent mig to weld all of the 1/2" base plates and connector plates and 1/4" plates for the purlins and girts, all of these were supplied cut to size and punched, they were that accurate that I did not have to file or re-drill any hole in the whole structure.
We are not in a snow area and are not rated for the higher cyclone specifications.
I had all of the foundation holes drilled, located all of the hold down bolts in the correct locations and concreted them, then poured the slab.
Using a scissor lift, a mobile scaffold and 2x 12' aluminium trestles (ladders) over 2 weekends and a couple of mates we had all of the frame finished ready to clad.
This worked well, the scissor was used to lift not only the rafters but all of the purlins and girts, if you look at one of the pics you can see a lot of water, it rained off and on all day.
The combination of the scissor and the scaffold worked well, you could move them around safely while you were in the air and you have all of the tools you need up there with you, much safer than hanging off a ladder while you are trying to align bolts and steel all at the same time.
The 60x40 design was all designed to suit what I needed and this area was the maximum size I could have, it took a while just to get this passed by our shire, even our neighbor put in an objection to the size. To gain a "Home occupation" permit I had to show where I would be working as this was a percentage of the whole building, so that determined the size of the office and up stairs workroom. My digital printer and laminator are in the office and the vinyl cutter and clean work area to make signs are up stairs. The area under is just over 4' high so this is used for storing sheet metal and aluminium composite panels, in front of these racks are a 8' guillotine and sheet metal folder.
There is a large window and glass door into the office and a smaller window upstairs. There is however 3x 30' lengths of clear polycarb roofing to allow the sun in, during the day there is no need to have any lights on, but I will admit it can get a bit hot under the clear during the summer.
On a really cold winters night we might get as low as 2-3 degrees C, during the Summer we have a few days over 40c.
The only insulation I have is a thin sheet of sisalation to help stop condensation, but thanks to a family of possums that took me nearly a year to get rid off lots of this needs to be replaced/upgraded to actual insulation.
I am looking into adding solar panels on the roof so this will help determine which way I go.
From memory I think we have 2x 80 amp 240v supply, the power is underground to our house then underground into one end of the shed, then under the slab to a sub board at the front of the shed.we are in a semi rural area so we have 480v or 2 phases of 240v.

Feel free to ask for any other information, looking at some of your many projects there is no doubt in my mind that you have the ability to build your shed with some help, do your homework first, maybe find the same shed locally that is already made, take pics and try to work out the easiest sequence, but most of all do it safely, good luck.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	shed side with cladding.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	152971   Click image for larger version

Name:	shed side with roof.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	152972