Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 11-17-2020, 11:01 AM
Director of Languages

Default Thinking of buying a Mill Drill

I've been shopping for a better pillar drill, I have a chinee one where my daughter can make the table flex with ease when drilling, no hole is straight through.

I've won a startrite mercury on ebay, a decent british drill, not extremely heavy but well enough regarded. of course in my searches I found what I wasnt looking for too. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alpine-Mi...v/254776570305

it looks rough, but it runs, and is cheap.

Would I be mad? it's about a quarter of a new machine, a cleaner second hand would be twice the price at least.

I got a great deal on the startrite drill so with a cleanup if it's running ok then I should be able to easily double my money on it, plus the sale of the chinee drill I wont be losing much cash wise, but is it likely to be a money pit?

I can't run the machine myself, it's in the UK so I'd be buying unseen. very few of these for any money over here.
Old 11-17-2020, 11:16 AM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoy View Post
I've been shopping for a better pillar drill, I have a chinee one where my daughter can make the table flex with ease when drilling, no hole is straight through.

I've won a startrite mercury on ebay, a decent british drill, not extremely heavy but well enough regarded. of course in my searches I found what I wasnt looking for too. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alpine-Mi...v/254776570305

it looks rough, but it runs, and is cheap.

Would I be mad? it's about a quarter of a new machine, a cleaner second hand would be twice the price at least.

I got a great deal on the startrite drill so with a cleanup if it's running ok then I should be able to easily double my money on it, plus the sale of the chinee drill I wont be losing much cash wise, but is it likely to be a money pit?

I can't run the machine myself, it's in the UK so I'd be buying unseen. very few of these for any money over here.
The table looks good. Just needs cleaned up and oiled. At 1/4 the price of a better machine, it is worth the gamble. Tooling for it will equal the price of the machine.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
Old 11-17-2020, 12:23 PM
Administrator

It is a decent start of getting a bigger mill for sure. They have their place in a small shop. Sounds like you could resell it if you decided you did not want it, after comparing it to your other drill press.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 11-17-2020, 12:43 PM
SFT Historian

My first question is what style of collets does it require?
In the US R8 is standard.

also looks like the quill stop-screw has been removed along with its bracket.
the top column cap is missing.

Hard to tell, US money from $450-$750
Old 11-17-2020, 12:54 PM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

Depends a lot on what your intended use is. If you want a heavy duty drill that you can use to cut the occasional keyway you'd probably be OK but if you're looking to use it a lot as a milling machine I think it's going to let you down. It depends a lot on what condition it's in. If the X and Y travels are tight (or adjustable to a reasonable degree) then it will work OK for lighter jobs.

One big problem with the drill/mills is headroom (distance between the bottom of the quill and the table). If you go from a small centre drill to a large morse taper drill, for example, you may have to raise the head to make room for the drill. This presents problems in aligning the holes.

If you feel that the price is reasonable and you really want something better then it's probably worth a shot, otherwise I'd hold out for a proper milling machine, they are much more useful...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 11-17-2020, 01:21 PM
Director of Languages

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKeithR View Post
If you want a heavy duty drill that you can use to cut the occasional keyway you'd probably be OK.

That would be it in a nutshell.

I'd like a good bench drill, and if I can mill slots in things rather than filing or grinding a bunch of holes together then that's a nice increase in capability for my shop.

I'd love a Bridgeport or similar but have neither the room nor the budget for one.
Old 11-17-2020, 01:57 PM
Blast this!

Read all the info you can find on a Rong Fu round column drill/mill . Lots of good work done with them just need to learn how . We do have cutters threads on Mable .
Old 11-17-2020, 04:58 PM
The Real Deal

extra long center drill will be your friend
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	drill.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	158489  
Old 11-18-2020, 05:12 AM
Director of Languages

Well the deal on the startrite drill fell through so I'm going for it, just threw in a cheeky offer as there's no bids at all on it.
Old 11-18-2020, 10:52 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoy View Post
Well the deal on the startrite drill fell through so I'm going for it, just threw in a cheeky offer as there's no bids at all on it.
Is your bid the 41 Euro?

If you want to cut key ways, I think the Wrong Flu machine would be better and more rigid. And you can control the depth of the key way much better. Keep on having those impure thoughts.

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson