Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 11-09-2020, 02:52 AM
Elite Member

Default Unusual Fly Cutter

I found this at the scrap yard recently. I think it was intended for use in a hand drill, probably electric boxes. I have not tried to adjust it but it looks like the two cutters are secured with one set screw. I guess it would be tricky to adjust.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BDA5A922-6E83-4068-9A32-0C4689BDCD6B.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	193.2 KB
ID:	158425   Click image for larger version

Name:	6F68BE72-3980-4765-8BD6-5A1AB22B6421.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	195.2 KB
ID:	158426  

It started hitting the fan in the 1950's https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nRnNDkHb0MU

A technologically advanced society would teach their children how to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together before teaching them how to use a lighter.

If you are not having fun then you are doing it wrong.
Old 11-09-2020, 12:16 PM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

Tools like that can be set so one cutting edge is cutting a little deeper or a little wider than the other.
You get twice the amount of material removal for each revolution without overloading the tool. Still,
I've never been a fan of flycutters in hand-held drills. It's hard to keep them square to the workpiece
so they don't grab or cut oversize, especially when cutting larger holes. If that's all you've got they'll
work OK but, given a choice, I'd always grab a holesaw before one of these...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 11-09-2020, 02:25 PM
Armchair Webbie

I have a couple of similar cutters except, mine have 3 bits. They work great in a Bridgeport. You take a pair of dividers and scribe a circle of your desired sized hole.

Then, drill a hole for the pilot. Put the cutter in the mill, loosen the set screw or screws in my case and adjust the knee or quill up and down until the cutters land exactly, on the inside of the scribed circle. Then, have at it.

I cut two 4 inch holes through a 1 inch die block and the clearance holes through the die set and the stripper plate. It would have been a PITA using other methods.

I should mention that the die holes were finished to size with a boring head. The hole cutters saved a lot of time with the roughing in.

Dave
Old 11-10-2020, 07:46 AM
Why, Hell Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by threepiece View Post
I found this at the scrap yard recently. I think it was intended for use in a hand drill, probably electric boxes. I have not tried to adjust it but it looks like the two cutters are secured with one set screw. I guess it would be tricky to adjust.
i think this tool is used on automotive cylinder heads,the pilot follows the valve guide.