Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 11-01-2020, 03:54 PM
Post Fiend

Talking Industrial EZ-Bake Oven! Weldotron Model #7112 220v/34A/7kW

Industrial EZ-Bake Oven! Weldotron Model #7112 220v/34A/7kW

This item did not sell at a recent auction--was a "no sale" at $10. I was tempted to bid on it but didn't even know what it was for! With buyer's fee would have been $11. I DID do a little research on it after the fact--it is some kind of heat shrink oven for packaging. A similar but nicer unit sold for $500 recently on debay plus S/H.

A few days later picking up my other items I determined I had room on the trailer for it so I offered the auctioneer a $20 bill for it. He came back at $25, I hemmed and hawed and $20 it was. On paper was $15 plus tax and fees but I didn't ask for my change. I neglected to get a picture of the loaded trailer and sedan trunk--very Beverly Hillbilly-ish... My car was sagging pretty good and I could feel the weight of the load which included 3 250cf tanks.

While still on the trailer I screwed in/retracted the steadying feet so I could use the hidden casters to roll it. One foot was quite rusted so a bit of juice and in-and-out-and-in with the impact got it to move in. Luckily didn't break or strip out the bracket it was screwed into. Unfortunately, the casters have a mind of their own. We then lifted the top part and put it on the bottom base.

Note that this is TWO pieces: a bottom base that incorporates the conveyor and motor with a plug that plugs into the top section. The top section just rests on the base with no attachment method noted. It is a "tunnel" with heating elements, fans and controls. It appears the tunnel took a tumble at one time or the other but function so far does not seem impaired. There is a lid on top that was not attached.

First step towards seeing if it worked was to sort/verify the power wiring. A 6' cable "stub" with 220v female twist connector was included so I checked that and it ohmed good except for the white wire which I taped up (ie: unused).

The cord to the machine was not so cut and dry. Never mind the pile of dog shit about halfway up the power cable. I haven't had the courage to see what is inside yet. I'm just looking to test the unit at this point to see if it works before I get too involved. Anyhow, for whatever reason the cord had a 30A? 120v plug on the end that would not plug into the stub so it was pulled off because this is a 220v machine. I also taped up an unused wire from the cord at the machine breaker.

Before it could be powered up I took a look inside and pulled some ratty insulation out (will replace later), several labels that were stuck in the large squirrel cage fan and a piece of random melted plastic. The plot thickens as the labels are priced in Sterling--perhaps the unit was sabotaged by the British? The wiring looks OK, albeit dirty and dusty.

I'm sure many of you will appreciate the lightweight temporary plug adapter I used to test it with...

With it plugged in I turned on the breaker and immediately the fans came on. I was able to control the conveyor speed from the knob on the front. It will have to be blown out and a proper plug installed before I go testing the heating elements. I need to push it outside for cleaning, blowing it out, etc.

(to be continued)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	weldo1.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	194.7 KB
ID:	158267   Click image for larger version

Name:	weldo2.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	205.9 KB
ID:	158268   Click image for larger version

Name:	weldo3.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	195.8 KB
ID:	158269   Click image for larger version

Name:	weldo4.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	184.9 KB
ID:	158270   Click image for larger version

Name:	weldo5.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	203.2 KB
ID:	158271  

Name:	weldo6.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	204.2 KB
ID:	158272   Click image for larger version

Name:	weldo7.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	206.7 KB
ID:	158273   Click image for larger version

Name:	weldo8.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	209.6 KB
ID:	158274   Click image for larger version

Name:	weldo9.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	200.1 KB
ID:	158275   Click image for larger version

Name:	weldo10.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	198.4 KB
ID:	158276  

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
TA 95 lunchbox w/tig
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Old 11-01-2020, 04:34 PM
The Real Deal

The lovejoy and the gear reducer are worth the price plus
Old 11-01-2020, 04:56 PM
Blast this!

Did you get the infeed table also ?
Old 11-01-2020, 08:08 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by digr View Post

My thoughts too.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 11-01-2020, 10:37 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by digr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by toprecycler View Post
My thoughts too.
Yup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by midmosandblasting View Post
Did you get the infeed table also ?
Nope!

MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart 250ci plasma
TA 95 lunchbox w/tig
Old 11-02-2020, 08:41 AM
Auction Addict

Might be able to use it for baking small items for powder coat or a welding turn table??? Nice find.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
Old 11-02-2020, 09:55 AM
Blast this!

ebay it . They are used a lot in print industry to package product . they have a table that holds the film with a heat cutter to seal 3 edges the 4thedge is in the roll of film . Then into the heat chamber to shrink to product .
Old 11-02-2020, 02:29 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Might be able to use it for baking small items for powder coat or a welding turn table??? Nice find.
I like the welding turn table idea as the conveyor motor has variable speed controls and wiring that could be harvested. It appears to be a newer motor than others I've seen. I don't know anything about powder coat so I don't know if it gets hot enough for long enough...

Quote:
Originally Posted by midmosandblasting View Post
ebay it . They are used a lot in print industry to package product . they have a table that holds the film with a heat cutter to seal 3 edges the 4thedge is in the roll of film . Then into the heat chamber to shrink to product .
Midmo is correct: gootoob "weldotron" to see a number of videos. A vital part this is missing is the shrink wrap "table" that goes just upstream from this unit.

I took a quick look at the heating elements after pulling the side panels off and they look OK. This was the only evidence of critters in the entire unit... I freed up a "velocity" door with a couple squirts of WD and tightening of the set screw in the knob. That is the curvy wire on the bottom and the bottom knob in "weldo1". You can barely see the flap above the heating elements.

I didn't have a 6-50 plug to attach to my outlet so I'll pick one up on the way to the shop because I usually have one in stock, anyway. Then I'll give it a quick blow or maybe even a vacuum and check out the heat function...

As for debaying, one in nicer condition sold for $500 plus S/H and another in nicer condition is listed in auction for $100 starting bid with "local pickup". So at $100, there is little if NO money to be made on this after transport, cleanup and testing, IMO... I'll throw it up on CL or FBM for a week to see what happens but this thing has the footprint of a small refrigerator so it must go soon...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	weldo11.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	199.4 KB
ID:	158291   Click image for larger version

Name:	weldo12.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	210.3 KB
ID:	158292   Click image for larger version

Name:	weldo13.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	158293  

MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart 250ci plasma
TA 95 lunchbox w/tig

Last edited by mccutter; 11-02-2020 at 02:35 PM.
Old 11-02-2020, 08:00 PM
Administrator

Plus one for a welding positioner. I think Abom79 just bought one made in Wisconsin. Spent like $2500 on it, or more with the 3 jaw chuck.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 11-02-2020, 11:56 PM
Post Fiend

Default It's a runner...

Put a plug on the end of the cord so I could test the heat. Before I ran it, I blew it out with a leaf blower then compressed air. Replaced missing lag bolts that hold the top on. Plugged it in and fired it up AND the conveyor is not working...

Took cover off and everything seemed OK--I figured maybe I blew a wire off or something. Look at motor and it is just spinning in the coupler--the set screw came loose. Grab conveyor and try to move it and it is seized so I loosened the set screw all the way so the conveyor is free of the motor.

Found a couple seized links and worked them back and forth with PB soak and eventually they freed up and conveyor moved easily. Tighten set screw and we were good to go. Heat functions great and felt good compared to the 60^ it was today. Maybe I'll keep it around for the one month I desire heat in the shop. I did a gootoob VIDEO if you want to see it in action...

MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart 250ci plasma
TA 95 lunchbox w/tig

Last edited by mccutter; 11-03-2020 at 12:01 AM.