Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 10-27-2020, 09:09 AM
Elite Member

I rough cut much of the shaft with a carbide cutter had from the scrap yard. This cutter has a shank diameter of 16mm but held with a 5/8” collet.

I also attached an end support bracket with a 3/8 screw into the previously threaded hole on the end. This was necessary to prevent the shaft from rotating when milling.

The extra length of the new shaft was to provide a heat sink to reduce the amount of heat conducted into the motor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CD8DC552-EBC6-4827-B4EC-FCA8CCAF784D.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	158177  

It started hitting the fan in the 1950's https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nRnNDkHb0MU

A technologically advanced society would teach their children how to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together before teaching them how to use a lighter.

If you are not having fun then you are doing it wrong.
Old 10-27-2020, 09:14 AM
Elite Member

The milling is done. The last .040” will be done with a stationary tool.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BD0350AE-443E-475E-9031-8036D15D4D1D.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	197.2 KB
ID:	158178  

It started hitting the fan in the 1950's https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nRnNDkHb0MU

A technologically advanced society would teach their children how to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together before teaching them how to use a lighter.

Old 10-27-2020, 09:17 AM
Elite Member

But first I must cut the excess shaft. Nothing like a bit of exercise first thing in the morning. Can you guess where I got this hack saw from?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	23D7C08C-B20F-4DD4-B069-275C793EF681.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	197.2 KB
ID:	158179  

Old 10-27-2020, 09:20 AM
Administrator

Get the hacksaw from the scrap yard? Or as I like to call it, the recycling yard.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 10-27-2020, 09:24 AM
Elite Member

Checking the alignments before the turning operation. It was good to see almost no change.

I only have 3/4” of indicator travel so I made extra certain it was as close as I could get.

This is where I left it. I will now make the electrical circuit for the turning operation.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A1C58C79-6877-4DF3-8527-AE50B5E51341.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	195.1 KB
ID:	158180  

Old 10-27-2020, 11:43 AM

Default shaft modification

instead of using a grinding wheel on the angle grinder, use a rubber backup pad and a 80grit sanding pad to get it close..for a much nicer surface finish..then full shaft rpm and a cloth sanding belt or strip pulled back and forth along the length by hand..FWIW
Old 10-28-2020, 02:21 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkclimber View Post
instead of using a grinding wheel on the angle grinder, use a rubber backup pad and a 80grit sanding pad to get it close..for a much nicer surface finish..then full shaft rpm and a cloth sanding belt or strip pulled back and forth along the length by hand..FWIW
I’m assuming you either didn’t read the earlier posts or you misunderstand my objective. The sole reason I bought this motor is to see if a shaft could be added without disassembly using the milling machine for the process. Or maybe I misunderstand what you are referring to.

I get what you mean about the grinder. A hard wheel does not like to travel over uneven surfaces. A rubber or foam pad under a flexible grinding disk is better.

Old 10-28-2020, 08:57 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by threepiece View Post
I’m assuming you either didn’t read the earlier posts or you misunderstand my objective. The sole reason I bought this motor is to see if a shaft could be added without disassembly using the milling machine for the process. .
Looks like you got'er done to me.

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 10-29-2020, 12:27 PM

Hi,
Looks good, I would not of done it that way, but...

I would of machined a step on the shaft stub and then a peice of steel to fit that, with just enough room to pre solder (tin?) those together...

Then would of drilled a 1/8" inch hole through the middle and peened a peice of drill rod to mechanically lock it.

That would of kept the heat down, protecting the bearings and the new shaft would be auto aligned, so to speak!

I worked Merchant Ships and sometimes you have to get creative to fix things, but that was the fun part to me.

At the end of the day, it is whatever gets you to the Dock!
May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
Old 10-29-2020, 11:58 PM
Elite Member

The turning worked out reasonably well. I used a 3/4” boring bar in the machine spindle. The backlash in the gears caused a bit of trouble.

I used a typical light switch to somewhat regulate the speed. After switching off, I advanced the tool as the motor slowed. It was strange operating the mill without it running, I repeatedly reached up to the spindle control switch till the very end.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	309D8DB5-63D2-4E78-90EE-F0DFB51C6B2B.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	199.3 KB
ID:	158216