Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 09-16-2020, 05:39 PM
Elite Member

Default Water Seeping From Pipe in Ground?

I remember the previous owner of my property had a hydrant or a faucet of sorts from which water was delivered under pressure to this pipe coming out of the ground. I actually remember drinking from it nearly 40 years ago as my then neighbor Myron was showing me around the place.

This pipe has been seeping water for the 30+ years that I have owned it. I have never had any significant flow from it.

The house, about 100 feet away has a well with electric pump but there is no trace of piping that would feed to the rear where this pipe is.

It would be great to have water near the shop. I’m looking for ideas where to start. I thought about de-pressurizing the well tank to see if the seeping stops. What would you fellows do?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	429C54EF-5668-49F7-A666-EB810FADD622.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	218.3 KB
ID:	157698  

It started hitting the fan in the 1950's https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nRnNDkHb0MU

A technologically advanced society would teach their children how to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together before teaching them how to use a lighter.

If you are not having fun then you are doing it wrong.
Old 09-16-2020, 05:54 PM
The Real Deal

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	429C54EF-5668-49F7-A666-EB810FADD622.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	157699  
Old 09-16-2020, 05:55 PM
Auction Addict

Is it a actual yard hydrant? With a handle that moves up an down. If so dig down to it and tie a a new line over to your shop and put in a new yard hydrant. I would eliminate the pipe coming up out of the ground unless you have a real need for it.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
Old 09-16-2020, 05:58 PM
The Real Deal

Shut your pump off and see if you lose pressure, a friend of mine has 4# head pressure without a pump running
Old 09-24-2020, 07:23 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Is it a actual yard hydrant? With a handle that moves up an down. If so dig down to it and tie a a new line over to your shop and put in a new yard hydrant. I would eliminate the pipe coming up out of the ground unless you have a real need for it.
What was on the end of the pipe is gone. It looks like the water inside froze and broke the pipe. The last time I saw it was nearly 40 years ago when the previous owner was using it. I don’t recall what it was.

I don’t care to have water in the shop, I just would like to get this pipe delivering again, it’s only 20 feet away. The house is more than 100.

It started hitting the fan in the 1950's https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nRnNDkHb0MU

A technologically advanced society would teach their children how to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together before teaching them how to use a lighter.

If you are not having fun then you are doing it wrong.
Old 09-24-2020, 07:38 PM
Blast this!

Dig it out . I am betting valve is still in ground but pipe broke off .Where it comes from could be taking a round about way .
Years ago I worked as a movie assistant manager . We had to inspect and sign off every week on two closed houses. 1 had a light that would not turn off even killing the main .Traced it back and it went into a wall of the building next to it .
Maybe the water comes from a neighbor .
Old 09-24-2020, 07:44 PM
The Real Deal

Could be a artisan well, A friend of mine has 4# pressure at his well head, and he says it's a PITA
Old 09-24-2020, 09:30 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by threepiece View Post
What was on the end of the pipe is gone. It looks like the water inside froze and broke the pipe. The last time I saw it was nearly 40 years ago when the previous owner was using it. I don’t recall what it was.

I don’t care to have water in the shop, I just would like to get this pipe delivering again, it’s only 20 feet away. The house is more than 100.
Looks like digging it out is your only option at this point.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
Old 09-24-2020, 11:51 PM
trust but verify

Since 20 feet is so little if I bothered to dig it up the trifle of running water to the shop (even if you don't immediately hook up more than a spigot) wouldn't bother me and it's always nice to have the option for water in the shop. (Freestanding sinks are easy to find or make from a discarded stainless steel sink. I just placed one near one of my spigots and hung a few feet of leftover PVC pipe off it (not cenented for easy cleaning) to place the water away from where I'm standing and it's surprisingly handy.
Old 09-25-2020, 02:35 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by threepiece View Post
I don’t care to have water in the shop, I just would like to get this pipe delivering again, it’s only 20 feet away.
I think once you have water in the shop you will wonder how you ever did without...

Quote:
Originally Posted by midmosandblasting View Post
Maybe the water comes from a neighbor.
A little OT but back when it was easier to "steal" cable, an acquaintance of mine living in the top floor apt. of a 2-story apt. house tied into the downstairs apt. cable that was on the outside of the bldg using a "T". About a month goes by and apparently the cable co. noticed and the tech literally RIPPED the cable out of the wall from the outside. In doing so, the tech pulled the TV off of its stand where it fell into a shelf with knickknacks on it and another with stacks of VHS and DVDs and even knocked a picture off the wall! I laughed my ass off but my buddy was livid and called the cable co. where they informed him they would be happy to press charges for him stealing cable if he wanted to come in and file an official complaint...

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
TA 95 lunchbox w/tig
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...