Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 09-24-2020, 11:56 PM
trust but verify

I spray machined surfaces etc with Dow chain wax to protect them from flash rust and I get machine tools under cover ASAP. If tarping a moving blanket keeps condensation (tarps act like solar stills!) from condensing on the steel...mostly.

If you want it even more easily mobile, check out scaffolding casters. They're available with large diameter wheels and they come with brakes and are a breeze to install as they just slide into appropriate pipe.

Nice score.
Old 09-25-2020, 07:13 AM
Grumpy Bastard

Did he include ammo too?

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 09-25-2020, 10:06 PM
I can dig it

The cast plate is definitely some form of lapping plate. it is likely charged with either a lapping paste or diamond compound.

Run a hardened piece of steel (HSS toolbit for example) over it and see if it affects the surface.
Old 10-09-2020, 08:30 PM

Default a good friend

Nice that your friend thought enough of you to send it your way . I have several things from buds that have passed over to the other side .their very fresh in my mind every time I use one of them . I have the same machine that just recently came my way from a buds dad , did yours come with any documentation of any kind ? mine came with nothing . I was surprised when I picked it up that the motor was non reversible & It looks like the power cord is only 16 gauge . I will be replacing the motor when I get to setting it up . almost done with a new place so when its done it's time for my stuff
animal
Old 10-10-2020, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animal View Post
Nice that your friend thought enough of you to send it your way . I have several things from buds that have passed over to the other side .their very fresh in my mind every time I use one of them . I have the same machine that just recently came my way from a buds dad , did yours come with any documentation of any kind ? mine came with nothing . I was surprised when I picked it up that the motor was non reversible & It looks like the power cord is only 16 gauge . I will be replacing the motor when I get to setting it up . almost done with a new place so when its done it's time for my stuff
animal
Nope, no documentation.
Old 10-10-2020, 11:16 AM

The location of the on / off switch around the left side of the column struck me as strange as well as unsafe.
The lack of a fine down feed is also a little worrisome.

I've also discovered an issue with the spindle.
the R8 collets seem to start binding up prematurely when being inserted and require extra taps with a mallet to get them out.
Old 10-10-2020, 12:54 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken98k View Post
The location of the on / off switch around the left side of the column struck me as strange as well as unsafe.
The lack of a fine down feed is also a little worrisome.

the R8 collets seem to start binding up prematurely when being inserted and require extra taps with a mallet to get them out.
My switch is on the left as well. Expect that was done due to most people would use their right hand to do the down feed. I need to tap the draw bar after loosening it to pop the collet loose.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
Old 10-10-2020, 07:41 PM

Default Downfeed

ok , Mine has the find downfeed which you guy's doesn't . do either of yours have a reversible motor ? Mine is just a forward direction . Mine alos has a one shot oiler , looks to be factory . this one here https://www.kbctools.com/itemdetail/6-380-002 Looks the closest to mine except mine just has a on-off switch located on the left side of the head .
Mine does have KBC tag on it , if I get up to the new shop tomorroow I'll look for a pn
thanks
animal
Old 10-11-2020, 04:11 AM
SFT Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken98k View Post
Looks like you have the same Import collets I have.

First test fit all the R8 tooling in the spindle, without the drawbar, make sure they contact the spindle taper without issues.
I had issues with the index slot being tight with the index pin, so I opened up some of the slots with a hand grinder.

My import R8 collets are two piece, the threaded end is pressed into the back AND they crimped the OD. of the collet to secure the insert.
the insert was threaded first then crimped, once they crimped the collet it distorted the threads and I had to run a very sharp tap through all the collets.
The threads are somewhat hard and a dull tap may seize and break.

The draw-bar would not pull the collets tight enough until I re-tapped all of them.
Old 10-11-2020, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWIZ View Post
Looks like you have the same Import collets I have.

First test fit all the R8 tooling in the spindle, without the drawbar, make sure they contact the spindle taper without issues.
I had issues with the index slot being tight with the index pin, so I opened up some of the slots with a hand grinder.

My import R8 collets are two piece, the threaded end is pressed into the back AND they crimped the OD. of the collet to secure the insert.
the insert was threaded first then crimped, once they crimped the collet it distorted the threads and I had to run a very sharp tap through all the collets.
The threads are somewhat hard and a dull tap may seize and break.

The draw-bar would not pull the collets tight enough until I re-tapped all of them.
I tried some collets from a different set and they worked much better.
There seems to be some sort of a ridge up inside the spindle which catches and drags on the upper part of the collets.
I'm thinking maybe a break cylinder hone to smooth this area.