Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Blacksmithing & Forming

SFT Search:   

Old 04-09-2020, 09:03 AM
Made From Scratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by allessence View Post
thanks.

.. 5160 Metal of this size just doe not want to move..
I don't think the novelty of how differently types of steel move will ever wear off on me. Its hard to believe how red hard some alloys can be, and for sure the thicker the piece the more you have your work cut out for you.

I had my nephew over to try and forge a blade right before this virus deal started and we were using leaf springs. I would show him a step while his piece was in the fire and then he'd hammer while my piece was in the fire. When I got ahead I stuck a piece of 1/2" round mild steel in the forge and showed him how to make a leaf. Going straight from leafspring to mild steel I think I drew the point out in 5 swings and I looked up at my nephew and his face was kinda like

That's a really nice job on the hardy. I need to make myself make some tooling like that one of these days.
Old 04-09-2020, 04:41 PM
Gadget Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Shade View Post
I don't think the novelty of how differently types of steel move will ever wear off on me. Its hard to believe how red hard some alloys can be, and for sure the thicker the piece the more you have your work cut out for you.

I had my nephew over to try and forge a blade right before this virus deal started and we were using leaf springs. I would show him a step while his piece was in the fire and then he'd hammer while my piece was in the fire. When I got ahead I stuck a piece of 1/2" round mild steel in the forge and showed him how to make a leaf. Going straight from leafspring to mild steel I think I drew the point out in 5 swings and I looked up at my nephew and his face was kinda like

That's a really nice job on the hardy. I need to make myself make some tooling like that one of these days.
Thats cool. Your nephew must have loved it..

I need to pickup some leather for a sheath for the hatchet.. Recommendations on where to buy it? Online shop perhaps.. I was thinking 9 or 10oz.

If I defend myself I am attacked.

My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.
Old 04-09-2020, 09:30 PM
Made From Scratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by allessence View Post
Thats cool. Your nephew must have loved it..

I need to pickup some leather for a sheath for the hatchet.. Recommendations on where to buy it? Online shop perhaps.. I was thinking 9 or 10oz.
Thats a bit of a complicated question so bear with me, I will try to explain...

I have been buying from Tandy Leather for the simple fact that they have a local store, and they have a buyers club kind of deal where I can get wholesale pricing (which was well worth the membership when I was selling a lot of leatherwork, hasn't been worth the hundred bucks lately) I think their normal regular folk pricing is kind of steep.

The biggest thing about ordering from Tandy online is that it ships from wherever the closest store to you is, and you get whatever leather they have in stock. My local store switched managers about 2 years ago. The old manager kept good leather in stock, and if I ordered something particular(like a medium grade 8oz double shoulder) and he thought the lot of leather he had in wasn't up to par he would contact me and recommend switching to something else(like going up one grade, or buying a side instead of a double shoulder). I never got a bad piece of leather whether I went to the store and picked it or I ordered it online.
The new manager seems to be more into the arts and crafts side of things and I have noticed that the overall quality of leather in the store has gone down significantly. I struggle to find leather I like going in to the store, and I really don't feel safe ordering online now.

So it is possible to get very good service and material from Tandy but it comes down to which store is closest to you and who manages it.

The other option is I have heard good things about Springfield Leather, and find that they have some very good videos on youtube. The also appear to carry more professional quality stuff(sewing machines and what not) versus kits and craft stuff. I am inclined to give them a try, but haven't quite brought myself to give up on the store that is a 20 minute drive from my house.
https://www.springfieldleather.com/
Old 04-10-2020, 05:31 AM
Gadget Girl

Thanks Matt, that was well explained.. Rather enjoyable really.

Sorry to hear your Tandy was taken over by a crafter.. That's never good.

We have a Tandy Leather in Boston, and get promo emails and get informational emails from Springfield as well.

So, maybe I'll just start off with Springfield.

I was thinking a button vs a snap for the closure on the sheath with a back strap. Also a belt loop though the hatchax is a little long for that.. But If I ever sell it, the new owner might want a shorter handle.

I won't be tooling it. Just basic stitching.

If I defend myself I am attacked.

My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.
Old 04-11-2020, 09:26 PM
Lord of the Minions

Jen, Matt, the last several boxes of leather I've gotten came from Tandy. They have a location in N.O.. Whether it comes from N.O., could not tell you. But the boxes are shipped from the big sleazy.

For my uses, the product has been up to par and of quality. But, I'm no expert. lol

Well done on the work Jen. Really well done.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!