Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 07-22-2020, 10:45 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by platypus20 View Post
If I could get plutonium, my Harbor Freight nuclear reactor would currently be on line. It has the Princess Auto control rod up grade, the JC Whitney control module up grade and Montgomery Wards radiation protection package, all that missing is the plutonium.
Kim Jong Un has some for sale. Delivery is difficult.

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 07-22-2020, 06:10 PM
Karma Avenger

Quote:
Kim Jong Un has some for sale. Delivery is difficult.
He keeps saying he's going to airmail some to us but you know how those sales guys are
Old 07-22-2020, 06:52 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
Seems these things are a crap shoot.

How about a pix of the good one ?

FWIW my neighbor picked up a used Lotos 50 for $100....while it works.....it struggles to cut 1/8" plate, 1/4" it was very rough, and struggled to go all the way thru.
Here's the one I picked up. Working good so far. I did have to take the case apart this weekend and reattach the nut on the strain-relief .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	amico plasma.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	156999  
Old 07-22-2020, 08:00 PM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBFab View Post
Here's the one I picked up. Working good so far. I did have to take the case apart this weekend and reattach the nut on the strain-relief .
Pssst. I was addressing my request to member "JohnBoy" hence me quoting him.

Did I ask you ?
Old 07-22-2020, 08:20 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
Pssst. I was addressing my request to member "JohnBoy" hence me quoting him.

Did I ask you ?
You know what Doug? Fuck off. I'm a pretty damn easy going guy, believe it or not. I can read, and comprehend - something I wonder about with you many times on this forum. You quoted JohnBoy's post and said "maybe we should post pictures of the ones that actually work" or some other drivel. The one I purchased seems to be working well so far, so I posted a picture. If you don't like it scroll the fuck on and fuck off.
Old 07-22-2020, 08:30 PM
Blast this!

I want one ,but do not feel use would ever justify the cost of a Hyper therm .I would really like to hear more success stories on the off shore units . The AC-DC is Hobart ,one of the wire units is Hobart ,They century is a joke but kept for 16 gage down .
Old 09-22-2020, 10:54 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midmosandblasting View Post
I want one ,but do not feel use would ever justify the cost of a Hyper therm .I would really like to hear more success stories on the off shore units . The AC-DC is Hobart ,one of the wire units is Hobart ,They century is a joke but kept for 16 gage down .

I wanted a 120 volt unit for just pissing around with. Found one on Amazon Warehouse deals . It' can draw 35 amps input power, but never snaps a good 20 amp 120 breaker.Without PFC it's in the range of most modern plasma cutters.. I am surprised at the build quality overall. Probably will not survive many drops, but decent IGBT layout.. 10lb unit Consumable life is way better then the Older Mosfet stuff. Runs super cool too.. It does decent with .250 but generally is a pretty nice sheet-metal unit. If you are just cutting 1/8 most the time the breaker or machine would not be taxed at all..The Hi-freq works excellent, and will jump to the plate without touching it.. Esab High freg quality.I run 70 PSI flowing and even the cheap cups stay cool..They burn right up on the Mosfet units..along with the rest of the consumables. The 28 amps output is a sweet spot for these cheap Esab clone consumables. by the way the little firdt gen. Thermal-Arc PeeWee 85 is super tiny.

Anyway, this is a Hero-cut 35i, and is made By Arc Sonic. I ditched the goofy safety trigger, and it is good to go.. Time will tell, but for $91.40 It works very nice..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PICT0009.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	157776   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0010.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	157777   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0011.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	157778   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0013.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	157779   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0012.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	157780  

Name:	PICT0014.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	181.0 KB
ID:	157781   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0015.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	157782   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0016.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	157783   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0017.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	157784  

Last edited by Scott V; 09-22-2020 at 11:02 PM.
Old 09-23-2020, 11:00 AM
Post Fiend

Did it come with the air regulator/seperator?

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
TA 95 lunchbox w/tig
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Old 09-23-2020, 02:07 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccutter View Post
Did it come with the air regulator/seperator?
Yes, and a few consumables too.. I just dug through my junk drawer, and found a bunch more from my last Mosfet unit.. That one is still going but it was the 4th one, and only one that did not blow from light use.. Friend has it, and very seldom uses it..

I am just on a quest to see how cheap a 120 volt system you can put together, and still have quality arc properties. Went with the Klutch 140i for a flux-core only unit, and it's really a pretty powerful 120 volt machine.. Had to cut up a 15 ft Tweco Mini-mig gun to adapt it to this machine. Cut it down to 10 ft, and it makes this machine very nice to use.. The stock gun had a gas valve in the handle for mig use, and it was way to short, and had a 20 pound trigger pull.. Turns it into a flux unit only, but very much like the little Century FC-90 Although the klutch has more power,handle on top, and can run 8 inch spools..I have a cheap 120 volt Stick machine coming from NT (Ironton) for $80 and it will complete my under $500 120 volt setup. I could use the PeeWee for that, and it works very well, but I wanted to see if it was possible to get decent performance for this price range. So far it's been a win..

I am digging the cheap consumable prices for these units.. The IGBT machines have developed over the years, and really are just mostly copies of the Italian Esab's of later years.. This little Herocut 35i would be like a more powerful Esab Handy plasma 250. I used a early Demo one the Esab rep let me take home. Very limited in consumables, using only the short 18/20 amp style tips..This machine out cuts it by far.. I'm sure it would do the same to the $1000 Lincoln 120 volt/ 20 amp machine.. Durability remains to be seen. I did sever some 5/8 for bit before the 20 amp breaker blew. Moved down to 3/8, and a pretty nice cut without any 20 amp breaker issues.. My 20 amp is a strong one but will handle what you should be cutting with this machine. I will just use on a 20 amp breaker to allow for me to limit what I might want to cut with it.. Tip,/electrode/nozzle still looks good (cutting thing with a bit of stand off..)

These are the correct 30 amp tips for these machines.. The swirl ring in the PT-31 is reversible,and you can get the good side bevel on what ever side you want it.. Always liked that design feature of that torch.. setup is everything with these little units. They will suck without clean air, and correct amount /psi. Swirl ring in correctly with lube on the O ring.. Then a good 20 amp breaker or 30 if you need to push it farther. decent consumables but not anything better thn this below..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This looks like the same unit out of the Arc Sonic factory.. $144.00 with a coupon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08FH72DX8...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	handyplasma250.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	157787  

Last edited by Scott V; 09-23-2020 at 08:05 PM.