Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 04-24-2020, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronut View Post
Years ago I owned a Giant Tech Cut 50D. It was okay for what I paid for it of around $400 at the time if I remember correctly. Only thing is it had the Mosfit electronics in it instead of the IGB electronics. Back then Mosfit electronics were known to go up in smoke at the drop of a hat. I never had an issue with mine when I had it and it would cut up to about 1/2" steel if I remember correctly. The only thing I did not like about it was that it did not have a pilot arc. It was contact start only. After a year or two of sitting with no use I put it up on ebay and sold it. I had a Thermaldynamics 25amp 110 volt unit before it and it would cut up to 3/16 steel and 1/4" with slow patience. I wish I would have kept that one since most of my plasma work that I usually did was 1/4" or less.
Are you still using your Arc200 ?
Old 04-24-2020, 06:54 AM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantTechGuy View Post
cleanup in aisle 2....
Old 04-24-2020, 07:29 AM
Boiler God

As most of you know I’m a Hypertherm guy, with 4 of them (PM30XP, PM45XP, PM65 and PM85), and my actual personal experience with Chinese sourced plasma cuttters has been extremely piss poor, 2 dead right out of the box and one that burst into flames on initial power up.

I have about 10 friends who have bought the Chinese’s sourced plasma cutters, the results have run the scale, about half have had stellar results, one or two, had initial issues, but been fully functional since them, the remainder have had extremely dismal to absolutely piss poor results.

Personally I use mine in a business setting, where I need the Bic pen results (first time, every time). At what we charge an hour, I can not afford any surprises, I need 100 percent every time. Traveling from site to site, with the temperature extremes, rough truck rides, consumable availability and constant input voltage changes, the Hypertherm units have been, to me the best I could buy.

I can see the allure of a sub $1000 plasma cutter, with a decent cut capacity, as the vast majority of the friends who have these units, are home shop people, maybe the roll of the dice is an acceptable option. For me, it’s not an viable option, I don’t believe telephone assistance is a true warranty, as I’m sure as hell not going to go probing around, inside of any piece of equipment, checking electronic components.

For me the local Lincoln, Miller, ESAB, Etc, certified service repair centers have no issue working on the some Chinese sourced welders, but will not even look at a similarly source plasma cutter, I was told too many service/quality issues, for them to deal with.

So basically the local success rate for those I have actually seen and used is in the 65 to 75% range, to me not a viable option, for those willing to take the gamble, they can and do work, when the process goes right.
Old 04-24-2020, 08:12 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantTechGuy View Post
Yes, occassionally as I have not been doing much welding as of late.

Victor Torch Set With Meco Regs
Lincoln Weld Pak 100
Giant Tech Arc 200
Miller Roughneck2E
Old 04-24-2020, 08:52 AM
Elite Member

Well I did it. Took delivery yesterday. With the entire 5 minutes of cutting I have on it, it works flawlessly. I don't feel good about it, I feel slimy, but I just couldn't justify the price of a solid name brand machine right now and I need something to finish a project I'm on. That may be short sighted, but it is what it is.

This is the one I settled on: http://amicopower.com/index.php?rout...product_id=163

I wasn't expecting much in the way of cut quality, but so far - I'm pleasantly surprised. Let the berating begin.
Old 04-24-2020, 09:05 AM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBFab View Post
Well I did it. Took delivery yesterday. With the entire 5 minutes of cutting I have on it, it works flawlessly. I don't feel good about it, I feel slimy, but I just couldn't justify the price of a solid name brand machine right now and I need something to finish a project I'm on. That may be short sighted, but it is what it is.

This is the one I settled on: http://junky.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=86&product_id=163

I wasn't expecting much in the way of cut quality, but so far - I'm pleasantly surprised. Let the berating begin.
2 or 4 months banishment feel about right ?
Old 04-24-2020, 09:14 AM
Blast this!

J Fab Please follow up on this in a year . Note in cell phone , on calendar . Worst part for me is use the heck out of it,then it may set long term before reuse .
Old 04-24-2020, 09:16 AM
Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBFab View Post

This is the one I settled on: http://amicopower.com/index.php?rout...product_id=163

My antivirus software claim a Trojan on the link you posted.

Did you get a free sample of Covid 19 the the machine?

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 04-24-2020, 10:00 AM
Boiler God

JB,

I understand the allure of a plasma cutter (cheap or hi-buck), I’ve had a plasma cutter for over 30+ yrs, and would not want to be without one. I’m sincere in my hopes that it works out for you, long term. To me they are a absolute necessity, like a good welder, to make you life a lot easier in the shop.

Please keep us in the loop about the operation, good or bad.
Old 04-24-2020, 10:02 AM
Boiler God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade Tree Welder View Post

Did you get a free sample of Covid 19 the the machine?

Maybe part of the warranty package.............