Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Blacksmithing & Forming

SFT Search:   

Old 04-26-2020, 10:11 AM
Director of Languages

It was. I don't think I'd have given money for it!
Old 04-26-2020, 05:13 PM
Gold Star Dad

I have an anvil something like that, though it still has a tail. Looks like a sway-back horse with the dip in the middle. Mine's pretty hefty. My brother bought it for about $30 and gave it to me. Mine's 22.5" from tip to tail. The top is maybe 1/2" thick welded to the bottom. The body must be wrought iron to take that abuse.

Last edited by USMCPOP; 04-26-2020 at 05:22 PM.
Old 05-09-2020, 12:59 PM
Lord of the Minions

Wow John, that anvil must have a colorful history.

For several years now, I've enjoyed having a box forge, crucible forge and a typical Smithy's hole. I can use propane, coal and heavy oils for casting or heating etc.

With the oil burner I'm able to do brass and cast iron work/casting etc.

Although, my age is telling anytime I pick up one of those heavy hammers. sigh

FWIW, it's a good idea to give a little heat to your box to drive off a bit of moisture before you go full in. Just my thoughts.

Years ago, a friend made a melting pot forge, let it sit for a year and put heat to it without allowing for moisture to move out of the refractory.

The lid let loose and peppered his garage with shrapnel. Put a good sized hole in his thigh.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 05-09-2020, 02:15 PM
Something's Fishy ...

There is a 250 ,000 Btu waste burner at the fish camp used to dispose of food waste as we are not allowed to dump it either in the ocean (polutioon) or in a ( dump site because it attracts Grizzly bears and thus is an extreme hazard to people in the area.
The fire box is cast refractory so we go to lengths to prevent moisture issues during the closed season.
Start up each season is a lengthy careful process that brings the refractory up to 200 deg F and holds it there by multiple short firings over a 24 hour period.
so far so good.
last year we nearly lost the machine because a returning employee that had been in charge of operating the burner decided to burn a load of kitchen waste as soon as I got power to that float which is by choice sheltered and hidden from customer view.
I saw the steam cloud forming and managed to turn it off before if damaged itself. In addition to what he had just put in the firebox was 1/4 full of wet ashes from last season which Were supposed to have been cleaned out as part of the shut down at the end of the previous season.
That little fiasco cost him his job - not the fire this year but the failure to service the machine properly at the end of the previous season.