Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 06-30-2020, 10:18 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Buying instead of renting is often financially better. Especially if you sell it, for more than you paid, after you are done.
Yes, that is possible, I did that once with a three point chipper.

My rental cost was high because I rented by the day. Had I known it would take me more than seven to do the job I would have rented by the week. Rented for two weeks, my cost would have been one half what it was and I would not have been rushed to complete the job.

It started hitting the fan in the 1950's https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nRnNDkHb0MU

A technologically advanced society would teach their children how to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together before teaching them how to use a lighter.

If you are not having fun then you are doing it wrong.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:59 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

There is going to be progress now. Once the concrete is done everything else is going upward.

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 06-30-2020, 11:24 PM
Elite Member

It hurts when I think of what it took to get this far. Putting together a project of installing 2,500 lbs. of rebar, and pouring 36 cubic yards of concrete footing in a rural area 300 miles away from home with little experience and less equipment was a huge challenge. I learned a bunch on this one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1963E298-4721-439E-907E-E9869DEE2738.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	205.4 KB
ID:	156707  

It started hitting the fan in the 1950's https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nRnNDkHb0MU

A technologically advanced society would teach their children how to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together before teaching them how to use a lighter.

Old 07-01-2020, 04:43 PM
Auction Addict

What are the rectangle forms for in the middle of the floor?

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
Old 07-03-2020, 11:00 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
There is going to be progress now. Once the concrete is done everything else is going upward.
I hope so. It was a huge relief to get this part done. I felt that I now have greater control and my experience is more inline with what is to happen hereafter, although there was still the block that needs to be placed.

Old 07-03-2020, 11:10 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
What are the rectangle forms for in the middle of the floor?
A good question.

These are island footings that are to be placed in between the three door openings. Each island has two steel pilings that will support columns for the overhead doors. You can see two of the pilings (bolted together for transport) hanging on the end of the loader boom. These got tied together with seven runs of #4 rebar. They were sandblasted and primed with four coats of epoxy prime.

Old 07-04-2020, 01:21 AM
Elite Member

I arrived equipped to lay block, how hard could it be? I found two young Amish men to finish the job after I failed to complete one course in a day. Daniel mixed and delivered the mortar and struck the joints, Lewis placed the mortar and block. They did good. I shall call on them when it is time to pour the concrete floor.

The Amish do not approve of pictures of themselves so I didn’t take any.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	18E055DE-9331-49D2-B32E-3CC2967B7714.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	217.5 KB
ID:	156744  

Old 07-04-2020, 01:46 AM
Elite Member

I used a “bond beam” for the top course of block. These block have webs that are “knocked out” to allow passage of horizontal rebar all along.

Here I have placed two horizontal runs of rebar in the top course and am filling all of the blocks with concrete.

I discovered something interesting while doing this. When mixing one batch I managed to put too much water in the mixer so I dumped some out. With the water some sediment, presumably clay that was in the sand came out as the water was stained brown. I had great difficulty inserting the anchor bolts into this mix. The sediment in the sand seemed to act as a lubricant and made inserting the bolts easy but I strongly suspect made the concrete weak as well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	F39B70F7-8178-475E-A12A-CCEECB0BA73B.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	192.2 KB
ID:	156745  

Old 07-04-2020, 08:11 AM
Auction Addict

What mix ratio are you using for the concrete?

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
Old 07-04-2020, 10:16 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by threepiece View Post
I used a “bond beam” for the top course of block. These block have webs that are “knocked out” to allow passage of horizontal rebar all along.

Here I have placed two horizontal runs of rebar in the top course and am filling all of the blocks with concrete.

I discovered something interesting while doing this. When mixing one batch I managed to put too much water in the mixer so I dumped some out. With the water some sediment, presumably clay that was in the sand came out as the water was stained brown. I had great difficulty inserting the anchor bolts into this mix. The sediment in the sand seemed to act as a lubricant and made inserting the bolts easy but I strongly suspect made the concrete weak as well.
The material you describe is probably ash, or could be clay, and is useful to trap and hold water. Water is vital for crystal growth that occurs to harden conc.
Probably should add more sand and cement to the excess water to sop it up in the future.
The water in concrete is also the reason you cover fresh conc in hot weather, to keep the water in, and not have it dry out.

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson