Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 11-07-2020, 08:25 PM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade Tree Welder View Post
Welcome to my life...
Whether you're running a home/farm shop or a small business like ours you're always looking at
your jobs and trying to decide how much money you can justify spending on tooling and fixtures.
Some jobs can't be done without a fixture of some sort but in other cases a fixture or jig isn't an
absolute requirement but it can qreatly reduce the amount of time you have to spend messing
about.

If you're running a business you can look at a job and decide whether or not a fixture or tool will
ever be used again--even one or two more uses will make it much more feasible. And often in the
case of a business the customer pays for tooling anyway. If you're doing something for yourself it's
a very different scenario...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 11-07-2020, 10:28 PM
Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKeithR View Post
Whether you're running a home/farm shop or a small business like ours you're always looking at
your jobs and trying to decide how much money you can justify spending on tooling and fixtures.
Some jobs can't be done without a fixture of some sort but in other cases a fixture or jig isn't an
absolute requirement but it can qreatly reduce the amount of time you have to spend messing
about.

If you're running a business you can look at a job and decide whether or not a fixture or tool will
ever be used again--even one or two more uses will make it much more feasible. And often in the
case of a business the customer pays for tooling anyway. If you're doing something for yourself it's
a very different scenario...
When it is for myself, I always try to figure out is it worth the
time and expense. Sometimes I get it right...

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 11-07-2020, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade Tree Welder View Post
...Sometimes I get it right...
Same applies if you're running a business. I've done jobs where a nice little fixture will make it much easier.
Looked at it and said: "Yeah, we'll definitely be able to use that again." Ten years later the damn thing is still
sitting on the shelf collecting dust.

On the other hand I had a customer bring in a drawing for a part he needed; looked at it and decided: "We'll
never do this again." So we cobbled the thing together with a bunch of clamps and chunks of steel
welded to the bench--a real plumber's nightmare but it got the job done. Wouldn't you know it but the guy was
back for another one within a month. A nice solid fixture would have made the second job so easy...

Old 11-08-2020, 10:29 AM
Elite Member

:-) For me the "fun" is figuring out how to build the "Fixture" . :-)
...lew...
Old 11-08-2020, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew Hartswick View Post
:-) For me the "fun" is figuring out how to build the "Fixture" . :-)
...lew...
Yeah, when I'm doing machine work I probably spend twice as much time on the lathe as on the milling machine but I generally prefer to run the mill over the lathe. Doing mill setups and fixturing is usually more challenging and interesting than just turning parts on the lathe...

Old 11-10-2020, 10:07 AM
Elite Member

Yesterday I spent many hours doing a small job for a friend. (making a hex on the end of a 3/8" socket wrench extension so it could be held in a drill chuck)
The kludge set up took hours to get it done. If I had designed and built a real fixture to hold and index it would have been a ten minute job. And a lot more "fun". Of Course if I was still able to use the high school shop like for the last 20 years it would would have been even faster. With a Spindex no "design and build" would have been necessary. I sure miss access to that shop. Curses on Covid !!!
...lew...
Old 11-10-2020, 02:51 PM

In my experience the cheapest and easiest way to machine flats or hexes on small
shafts is to use a 5C collet block and the appropriate 5C collet. For anything up to
1" diameter this is all I've ever used--in fact, I don't even own a spin indexer...