Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 07-22-2020, 08:46 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toprecycler View Post
So are you using rivets because you like the look? Looks old school though.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk
Yes, I am wanting the 'old school" look, and I already know how to stretch bolts.

It started hitting the fan in the 1950's https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nRnNDkHb0MU

A technologically advanced society would teach their children how to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together before teaching them how to use a lighter.

If you are not having fun then you are doing it wrong.
Old 07-26-2020, 11:32 AM
Auction Addict

I have set a lot of rivets back in the 70s. Worked in a truck salvage yard. We also did a lot of truck frame work. Heated all the rivets in a propane forge and set them with a pneumatic gun. It was a 4 man job. One to set the rivets in the hole, one to back the rivet up between the frame rails with an air backer between the truck channels, and one to set the rivet on the outside of the truck frame. At 71, it would be way too much for me to do today. Bet it was very satisfying to do rivets. Looks real good.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Last edited by milomilo; 07-26-2020 at 11:37 AM.
Old 07-28-2020, 11:33 PM
Elite Member

In my haste to strike while the iron was hot I failed to confirm hook engagement. I used the crane to raise and lower the beam during the setting process. The action was fast, the weather was hot and I was tired. The 900 pound beam bounced off the stand and crashed to the floor.

Luckily I escaped major injury only bruising my hand.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6E98379A-331B-4B06-B50F-3C11AB3243BE.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	195.7 KB
ID:	157070  

It started hitting the fan in the 1950's https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nRnNDkHb0MU

A technologically advanced society would teach their children how to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together before teaching them how to use a lighter.

Old 07-28-2020, 11:53 PM
Elite Member

The 14 inch beam has four rivets and the last ones for this project.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	78E5E3ED-0F3F-4277-98C4-FC63319CFD43.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	201.4 KB
ID:	157071  

Old 07-29-2020, 12:05 AM
Elite Member

I used this Black & Decker Industrial inline grinder to buff the surface. I bought it and four others like it at the scrap yard for $24. This is a mans grinder but I know one woman who could handle it, some of you know her too.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	EE450D74-3A2A-4183-BE7A-A7B5D69C621F.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	195.9 KB
ID:	157072  

Old 07-29-2020, 12:09 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
At 71, it would be way too much for me to do today. Bet it was very satisfying to do rivets.
Yes, I’m glad to know how to do them but at 58 I don’t care to again.

Old 07-30-2020, 05:57 AM
Armchair Webbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by threepiece View Post
I used this Black & Decker Industrial inline grinder to buff the surface. I bought it and four others like it at the scrap yard for $24. This is a mans grinder but I know one woman who could handle it, some of you know her too.
I had a one like that at a job years ago. About the same age too. I should have taken it with me when the company moved. It hadn't been used in years and I doubt anyone used it since. Probably got thrown out.

Dave