Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:

Old 06-26-2023, 09:44 PM
Elite Member

Some of the box stores have various grades of cabinets. Avoid the builder grade press board models and you should be ok. You may have to order from a catalog but they should be available fairly quickly.

I usually made my own counter tops and had a formica installer come in and cover them and the backsplash with the same material. IMO it looks better than the pre formed counter tops.
Old 06-26-2023, 10:01 PM
Do I have a life?

Habitat for Humanity stores often have donated items from the big box stores. Maybe that could work for you.

I think you should just get the kitchen functional: sink base & sink and a length of countertop--just make some legs temporarily. Or even a laundry room sink and folding table. Then when you are ready after you have moved in (and have fewer projects) you can do a custom kitchen. Move the "temporary" sink into the shop as a wash basin.

The elders here are trying to help you not make the same mistakes we may have made in the past. I'm sure most of us are/were as stubborn and resistant to advice as you are. That's OK and we learn from our mistakes. But it sucks when the mistakes cost a lot of time and money. I'm sure many of your grumpy uncles here are proud of the progress you have made and would put you in a headlock and give you a noogie!

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
HF 80 lunchbox w/tig
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Old 06-27-2023, 05:54 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccutter View Post

I think you should just get the kitchen functional: sink base & sink and a length of countertop--just make some legs temporarily. Or even a laundry room sink and folding table. Then when you are ready after you have moved in (and have fewer projects) you can do a custom kitchen. Move the "temporary" sink into the shop as a wash basin.

The elders here are trying to help you not make the same mistakes we may have made in the past. I'm sure most of us are/were as stubborn and resistant to advice as you are. That's OK and we learn from our mistakes. But it sucks when the mistakes cost a lot of time and money. I'm sure many of your grumpy uncles here are proud of the progress you have made and would put you in a headlock and give you a noogie!

Maybe Tim really has been listening to us. I know that I have done a lot of stuff “temporary” just get going, with the thought to come back later to redo it. Amazing how I never seem to come back later, because I always have something more important to do. I think in this instance, Tim wants to make do his kitchen right from first time, and wants quality that he is happy with for a long time.

Keep up the good progress Tim.

So, what happens is you do not meet the inspectors deadline? He will charge you building permits again? I don’t think they really should put timelines on someone doing their own project. It’s more important that you take the time to do it right, and safe. And if you want to do it yourself, then it’s your decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 06-27-2023, 07:37 AM
Why, Hell Yes!

$7000?
i doubt that will touch a good kitchen.
I shop at the "reuser" stores alot.
They have some really nice as removed cabinets.
And stoves,and fridges.
Your a lot closer to Atlanta than I am and i bet theres some real deals in your area.
Home owners with money are crazy about fancy kitchens,they buy new shit because they can,not because they need it.

Most of my furniture in my house came from fancy resale shops in the Palm Beach Fl area.
My dining table was a very custom table that came out of a house in Palm Beach,very,very expensive but bought by me for cheap money.
Our sofa is also a custom very well built item,not anything you could buy at a normal store,we paid $400 for it about 15 years ago and it looks like new today,man is it built well.

You admitted you did not use your stove in the trailer,and i agree that a kitchen (if you use it) is a great investment.
I use my kitchen everyday,we eat at home and we eat healthy.

Tim,its not what you make,its what you keep.
Resuser is a great resource,and there are plently of other places like that in big citys.
I shop reuser in Panama City all the time,they have great deals on doors and windows and other building materials.
Of course you use facebook and Marketplace will have some deals too.

Down at the Palm Beach Reuser stores i see Sub zero fridges ans wolf ranges all the time.
That stuff is big and will not fit in most homes so its priced cheap,and its good stuff.
I have 2 sub zero fridges,they cost over 10 grand each when new,they are both over 20 years old and look like new.
My stove is a 60'' wolf,todays cost,$20,000
I got it for pennys on the dollar and it was like new,never used,came out of some fancy house in Naples Fl.
Bought it on craigslist,20 years ago,still looks new and works like new.

You make your money on the buy,shop and save,be ready to drive and go get it.
My 2 cents.
Old 06-29-2023, 07:28 AM
Why, Hell Yes!

More input that you don't want!

I use a bath tub with enclosure as a laundry tub,i raise it up off the floor and build a platform under it.
Its great for washing dogs,big pots,nasty clothes and other stuff.
Its not as flimsy as a normal laundry tub,and it has the surround.
Delete the shower head part and hook a hose to the foot wash pipe.
I have done this in 2 homes and its the real deal for a laundry tub.

Formica is easy to do,you can buy it online and ups will bring it to you in a roll in a cardboard tube.
Its not what the cool kitchens use today but my mom had it for 50 years and it was worn but still servicable.
I used bowling alley lane floors,bought it on CL and its awesome,it took some work to refinish but worth the money and time.

in the motorhome i have a 2 burner induction cook top,a sink of course,a microwave (that sees very little use) and an outside grill and a gas burner for my big skillets.
I suspect you don't do a lot of cooking,so be patient with out fitting your kitchen.
Its a huge money pit,if your not a smart shopper.
And your tastes will change as you start cooking more at home.

Induction stoves are OK,but they suck power when they are not being used,in the motorhome mine works on the inverter and it will suck the batteries down overnight,along with the microwave,i added switches to both,i cut the power to them both unless i need them.
TV's are the same way,they suck power,i swich them too.
Old 06-29-2023, 07:31 AM
Why, Hell Yes!

Ohh,if you do formica or the hundreds of other names used make sure you get the thick stuff for the flat surfaces,and the VT or vertical for the vertical stuff.
VT is thin,not good for countertops.
Its easy to work with formica,you can do it.
Old 06-29-2023, 08:35 AM
Elite Member

I have a guy bend my Formica so it goes from front of counter top to under the upper cabs in one piece. Much nicer look in my opinion.
Old 07-04-2023, 07:02 PM
Kibble King

Send a message via AIM to OldRedFord Send a message via Yahoo to OldRedFord

Keeping going on the sheetrock
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230704_154254881.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	204.3 KB
ID:	168456   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230704_193530338.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	206.4 KB
ID:	168457   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230704_193542802.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	207.4 KB
ID:	168458   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230704_193725663.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	208.5 KB
ID:	168459  
Old 07-10-2023, 10:23 PM
Kibble King

Send a message via AIM to OldRedFord Send a message via Yahoo to OldRedFord

Quote:
Originally Posted by toprecycler View Post
Maybe Tim really has been listening to us. I know that I have done a lot of stuff “temporary” just get going, with the thought to come back later to redo it. Amazing how I never seem to come back later, because I always have something more important to do. I think in this instance, Tim wants to make do his kitchen right from first time, and wants quality that he is happy with for a long time.

Keep up the good progress Tim.

So, what happens is you do not meet the inspectors deadline? He will charge you building permits again? I don’t think they really should put timelines on someone doing their own project. It’s more important that you take the time to do it right, and safe. And if you want to do it yourself, then it’s your decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are very correct..I'd rather be completely finished with my living space when I move in. I have a bad habit of not completing temporary things.

I'd love to do tool boxes etc on the kitchen but I've been looking off and on for Lista style cabinets for five years for the shop side and have yet to find any affordable. Let alone multiple ones.

Randy is right about the pricing. What's displayed on the store is at least 50% under the current cost.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230701_194032069.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	200.8 KB
ID:	168546  
Old 07-11-2023, 08:12 AM
Why, Hell Yes!

Kitchens are crazy expensive,and i think its mostly because kitchens are "ornamental".
I cook everyday in my kitchen,i wanted it to be a more commercial type kitchen.
You do a search on fancy coffee makers,damn some of those things are 5000 bucks.
I do wish i had a 24'' flattop,instead of a 12'' ,but i have what i have.
My 20 year old wolf range (dual fuel) has 2 ovens and the big one just quit,so its either the burner or the Tstat,i need to check that out.

But we see your all over the place,sawmill,dozer,project after project,nothing really finished,but to pay huge money for a shitty kitchen is not in the cards for me.
Most of those cabinets are not good for the long haul.
Tools boxes are trendy and fit you and you can buy new ones and roll them in anytime.

I forgot to take pics of my kitchen at the beach (outdoor).
One thing i do use daily is my pot filler faucet over the stove.
It cost pennys to put it in and man is it handy.