Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 03-10-2019, 09:22 AM
Made From Scratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutter View Post
Do you mean sliced like french fries or sliced into flat slabs?

That only adds to its appeal, just that little rough strip between that beautiful handle & the cutting edge; I obviously don't know what you call it. And the obvious heft of it. It looks like it should just fall through a raw potato.
Sliced into flat slabs. I'm sure you could do it like french fries too, they might just have to cook a little longer.

I haven't used it in the kitchen yet but I might have to have potatoes for lunch
Old 03-10-2019, 09:29 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by camdigger View Post
Outdoor cooking? We do some. About 3weeks a year.

The stacked Dutch ovens are full of biscuits for biscuits and sausage gravy.
In the other image I am putting one of two 16 lb turkeys I do almost annually. In the background is my 3 burner 90,000 btu stove c/w 2 burner flat top, and another guy's 2 burner stove.
Yep, I;ll second that. You're a fine cook, Cam.

"I must abide by my core values, my ethical responsibilities and constitutional obligations. There can be a cost to acting on one’s principles, but there is a bigger cost to abandoning them.” Jane Philpott
Old 03-10-2019, 11:35 AM
Director: Fish Seduction

You mentioned the Sparklin' Taters before. I know because I have the recipe scrawled down in a book in the kitchen. It used to hang on the fridge for frequent use until LadyD decided to declutter. We havn't made them in forever since it disappeared. Good stuff, and I highly recommend everyone make a batch.

I've never made it outdoors, nor in the quantity. I'm not much good at charcoal cooking but last year I forced myself to only use it so I'd learn. I plan to continue that this year, even though I really want to buy a new grill.

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 03-10-2019, 11:47 AM
Made From Scratch

There are a million variations out there, with sprite and potatoes being about the only common items. I've had a few different versions and none of them were bad but this is my favorite, and is also really easy to make.

I caught onto the idea after watching Kent Rollins make them in a youtube video. He used a lot of onions and green chiles and stuff, that made for more prep work and didn't sound quite as appealing to me so I decided to experiment on my own.

Kent Rollins has a cookbook out that is geared towards cast iron/chuck wagon cooking. I was given a copy for Christmas a few years back. Its a neat book with cowboy stories and quotes and stuff in it, but I don't think I've made anything in the book without changing the recipe. I am a very strict "meat and taters" kind of guy
Old 03-11-2019, 08:37 PM
Made From Scratch

I decided to make a butcher block of sorts. I guess it's still called a butcher block even if it only holds one knife.
I decided if I dressed it up a little bit the knife might be allowed to live indoors, and I used it as an opportunity to try some new stuff. When a saddle is built most of the parts are carved laying flat on the bench and then are fit to the saddle tree. Certain parts require too much wet forming so they get attached to the tree and then carved in place. I decided to wet form leather around a wooden block, and then carve it afterwards. This keeps the tooling from distorting when you stretch and bend the leather.

I made the block out of some poplar I had laying around and then went to work wrapping it in leather. I attached it with both glue and copper tacks.

Then I laid out a pattern and start chasing the damn thing all over the workbench. I think this would have been easier on something heavy like a saddle that you can strap down on a stand.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	k050-DSCF1367.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	175.0 KB
ID:	149869   Click image for larger version

Name:	k051-DSCF1368.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	198.7 KB
ID:	149870   Click image for larger version

Name:	k057-DSCF1374.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	149871   Click image for larger version

Name:	k059-DSCF1376.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	149872   Click image for larger version

Name:	k060-DSCF1377.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	149873  

Old 03-11-2019, 08:41 PM
Made From Scratch

After the tooling was done, it was just a matter of putting dye on the leather and attaching the base.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	k075-DSCF1392.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	149874   Click image for larger version

Name:	k076-DSCF1393.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	149875   Click image for larger version

Name:	k077-DSCF1394.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	181.1 KB
ID:	149876  
Old 03-11-2019, 09:25 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Shade View Post
You can always grind them out of bar stock instead of forging them

For the taters...there are a lot of recipes floating around, but this is what I made up. It's super simple and I haven't found anyone that doesn't like them yet. I generally make them in huge quantities for family parties, or feeding 40 college girls so you will probably want to dial it down a little. This will fill 2-16" dutch ovens

20lbs russet potatoes, peeled and sliced.
4.5lbs bacon.(I like the oscar mayer butchers cut) I take the wrapper off and slice the whole stack into 1.5 inch pieces.
Lawrys seasoning salt
chile powder
garlic powder
about 6 liters of sprite (edit, I said 3 liters, but I meant 3-2 liter bottles)

I start off with the coals under the dutch oven and put the bacon in by itself, and cook it til its nice and crispy, just like you were going to eat it by itself.

Add about half the potatoes on top of the bacon, and season with lawrys, chile powder and garlic powder. I don't measure anything, but use mostly lawrys and lighter on the chile and garlic.
Add the rest of the potatoes and season again.
Fill with sprite until the taters and bacon are at least 3/4 submerged and then stir it up a little so all the bacon isn't on the bottom.

Put the lid on the dutch oven and add coals. You want most of the heat on the top now. It should come up to a boil and will probably take about 20 minutes for the taters to cook. Check the taste and add seasoning as needed. If it starts to dry out part way through add more sprite.

Its ready whenever the potatoes are cooked. The sprite thickens up and they have the same consistency of scalloped potatoes.

Most recipes call for onions and chiles, and all kinds of stuff. This one is super easy to make, doesn't require a lot of extra ingredients, and the kids literally ate the entire 25lbs of it the first time I made it at a show

Thanks for the recipe Matt. SWMBO made them tonight. Pretty good for her first attempt. And inside on conventional stove.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 03-11-2019, 09:44 PM
Made From Scratch

Glad you like them. I don't think there is a rule that you can't cook them indoors, but there may be a rule around here that I can't cook them (or anything else) indoors
Old 03-11-2019, 11:21 PM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Shade View Post
I decided to make a butcher block of sorts. I guess it's still called a butcher block even if it only holds one knife.
Seems like that might be better called a bachelor block since it rides solo.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 03-12-2019, 02:36 AM
Armchair Webbie

Beautiful, just beautiful, Matt!

Dave