Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 03-09-2019, 03:04 PM
Made From Scratch

Default A handmade kitchen knife, and my portable grill

Between the high school and college equestrian teams we host 4 or 5 horse shows every winter at the farm and since the college kids come and volunteer all day in the cold, we decided to feed them. I bought a 2nd 16 inch dutch oven and set my grill up and make lunch for everybody. It works out to about 40 people some days, and they really like sparklin taters, so in the last month or so I have cut up close to 50 lbs of potatoes.

I decided it was time that I had a good kitchen knife, so I fired up the forge and smacked this thing into shape.
I started with a piece of leaf spring 9 inches long and ended up with an 8" blade, with a 5" or so handle. The blade is flat ground on the platen and then when it was nearly finished I went back and ground a hollow into the middle of it on my 10" contact wheel. The idea is that food is less likely to stick to the side of the knife. The handle is natural linen micarta. The blade is a little over 3/16" at the widest part of the spine and tapers down to about .010 at the edge before I sharpened it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	k003-DSCF1359.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	184.9 KB
ID:	149788   Click image for larger version

Name:	k005-DSCF1361.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	185.3 KB
ID:	149789   Click image for larger version

Name:	k006-DSCF1362.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	188.6 KB
ID:	149790   Click image for larger version

Name:	k007-DSCF1363.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	172.5 KB
ID:	149791   Click image for larger version

Name:	k009-DSCF1365.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	149792  

Old 03-09-2019, 03:09 PM
Made From Scratch

When we travel to horse shows where we will be out of town for more than 2 or 3 days, I take all my cast iron and we make all of our meals at the horse trailer. It's easier than driving all over, cheaper than buying food from the vendors at the show, and much better eating than mcdonalds.

I have 2-70qt yeti style coolers in the tackroom of the trailer, and made this table for cooking on. You can't haul firewood around thanks for the emerald ash borer and some places won't even let you have a fire, but I' haven't gotten shut down for using charcoal yet.

One end of it has a built in charcoal grill, with cast iron grates and a lid so you can cook steak or whatever you like, the rest of it is 3/16" diamond plate aluminum that you can shovel coals onto to cook with skillets or dutch ovens. The legs come off and fit in the table end of it for travel.

We have made pizza, stromboli, mock lasagna, venison, sparklin taters, steak, burgers, bbq chicken, mashed potatoes, macaroni etc. I really can't think of anything I eat that I haven't made over a fire at some point. If I need to make a meal at home, I am much more likely to go build a fire in the fire pit, or light some charcoal and cook on this grill than I am to cook indoors. Even if its snowing and shitty out.

I will have to get more pics of the grill at some point. I have been meaning to post it for awhile. I'd like to see what everybody else has come up with for cooking outdoors too, I know I'm not the only one.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	k001-DSCF1350.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	212.6 KB
ID:	149793   Click image for larger version

Name:	k002-DSCF1351.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	214.2 KB
ID:	149794  
Old 03-09-2019, 06:58 PM
Curmudgeon

Gorgeous knife, very impressive "toxic masculinity".

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 03-09-2019, 07:43 PM
Why, Hell Yes!

I am so jealous,you guys that are making knifes so impress me.
I would learn how to do it if i had good shoulders,but i don't!
Very,nice!
Now tell me about the taters.
Old 03-09-2019, 09:59 PM
Roving Reporter

Outdoor cooking? We do some. About 3weeks a year.

The stacked Dutch ovens are full of biscuits for biscuits and sausage gravy.
In the other image I am putting one of two 16 lb turkeys I do almost annually. In the background is my 3 burner 90,000 btu stove c/w 2 burner flat top, and another guy's 2 burner stove.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0048.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	197.0 KB
ID:	149807   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0049.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	149808  
Old 03-09-2019, 10:55 PM
Made From Scratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by randydupree View Post
I am so jealous,you guys that are making knifes so impress me.
I would learn how to do it if i had good shoulders,but i don't!
Very,nice!
Now tell me about the taters.
You can always grind them out of bar stock instead of forging them

For the taters...there are a lot of recipes floating around, but this is what I made up. It's super simple and I haven't found anyone that doesn't like them yet. I generally make them in huge quantities for family parties, or feeding 40 college girls so you will probably want to dial it down a little. This will fill 2-16" dutch ovens

20lbs russet potatoes, peeled and sliced.
4.5lbs bacon.(I like the oscar mayer butchers cut) I take the wrapper off and slice the whole stack into 1.5 inch pieces.
Lawrys seasoning salt
chile powder
garlic powder
about 6 liters of sprite (edit, I said 3 liters, but I meant 3-2 liter bottles)

I start off with the coals under the dutch oven and put the bacon in by itself, and cook it til its nice and crispy, just like you were going to eat it by itself.

Add about half the potatoes on top of the bacon, and season with lawrys, chile powder and garlic powder. I don't measure anything, but use mostly lawrys and lighter on the chile and garlic.
Add the rest of the potatoes and season again.
Fill with sprite until the taters and bacon are at least 3/4 submerged and then stir it up a little so all the bacon isn't on the bottom.

Put the lid on the dutch oven and add coals. You want most of the heat on the top now. It should come up to a boil and will probably take about 20 minutes for the taters to cook. Check the taste and add seasoning as needed. If it starts to dry out part way through add more sprite.

Its ready whenever the potatoes are cooked. The sprite thickens up and they have the same consistency of scalloped potatoes.

Most recipes call for onions and chiles, and all kinds of stuff. This one is super easy to make, doesn't require a lot of extra ingredients, and the kids literally ate the entire 25lbs of it the first time I made it at a show

Last edited by Matt Shade; 03-10-2019 at 07:04 AM.
Old 03-09-2019, 11:02 PM
Made From Scratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutter View Post
Gorgeous knife, very impressive "toxic masculinity".
It lacks a little refinement, but my "kitchen" usually has trees in it and I may need to make kindling before I chop up taters. I don't mind if it scares off the yuppies

I'm kicking around ideas for a butcher block of sorts for it next.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:38 AM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Shade View Post
20lbs russet potatoes, peeled and sliced.
Do you mean sliced like french fries or sliced into flat slabs?
Quote:
It lacks a little refinement
That only adds to its appeal, just that little rough strip between that beautiful handle & the cutting edge; I obviously don't know what you call it. And the obvious heft of it. It looks like it should just fall through a raw potato.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 03-10-2019, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Between the high school and college equestrian teams we host 4 or 5 horse shows every winter at the farm and since the college kids come and volunteer all day in the cold, we decided to feed them. I bought a 2nd 16 inch dutch oven and set my grill up and make lunch for everybody. It works out to about 40 people some days, and they really like sparklin taters, so in the last month or so I have cut up close to 50 lbs of potatoes.

I decided it was time that I had a good kitchen knife, so I fired up the forge and smacked this thing into shape.
I started with a piece of leaf spring 9 inches long and ended up with an 8" blade, with a 5" or so handle. The blade is flat ground on the platen and then when it was nearly finished I went back and ground a hollow into the middle of it on my 10" contact wheel. The idea is that food is less likely to stick to the side of the knife. The handle is natural linen micarta. The blade is a little over 3/16" at the widest part of the spine and tapers down to about .010 at the edge before I sharpened it
"Now that's a knife" as some Aussie once said.

I like a wide blade cooking knife with a bit of heft to it. Makes it so easy for slicing.

Good one, Matt!
Ozwelder
Old 03-10-2019, 09:18 AM
Made From Scratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by camdigger View Post
Outdoor cooking? We do some. About 3weeks a year.

The stacked Dutch ovens are full of biscuits for biscuits and sausage gravy.
In the other image I am putting one of two 16 lb turkeys I do almost annually. In the background is my 3 burner 90,000 btu stove c/w 2 burner flat top, and another guy's 2 burner stove.
Stacking is great until you forget what you put in each one

I've been wanting to add a propane burner of some sort for times I don't want to wait on charcoal to get going,just one burner for a skillet would be nice, but we are about at the limit for space in the horse trailer.