Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 03-10-2019, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Are you planning on having a slip fit on the tube steel for disassembly?
I was thinking of using slip fittings with square tube, at the corners I could use solid bar and the forge them to 45 deg angles for the inserts. If I use rectangle stock I may make plates to bolt at the corners. Not sure what would work best tho' any suggestions are more than appreciated

Bob
Old 03-11-2019, 10:31 AM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by CactusBob View Post
I was thinking of using slip fittings with square tube, at the corners I could use solid bar and the forge them to 45 deg angles for the inserts. If I use rectangle stock I may make plates to bolt at the corners. Not sure what would work best tho' any suggestions are more than appreciated

Bob
I dono Bob. down here, round, this neck of the woods. chewtabacky and some creek mud, are the usual go-to fix-alls along with baling wire duct-tape and occasional super glue...

BUT, I would think that square would be the easiest material used in the application of your project...

I think you can just buy slip joint cuppings from specialty steel places like triple-S steel... If there is A TripS location available to you, if not try looking them up on the online cat and take a look-C... possibly have em for rectangular tubing...

If so It would IMO be maybe a bit cheaper over laboring to make em... But slip joint is prolly your best bet for movability purposes...

Would be cool to see it once ur finished I think it a Way-cool project idea and design...

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!
Old 03-11-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalWolf View Post
I dono Bob. down here, round, this neck of the woods. chewtabacky and some creek mud, are the usual go-to fix-alls along with baling wire duct-tape and occasional super glue...

Would be cool to see it once ur finished I think it a Way-cool project idea and design...
Yea I was thinking of using the duck tap or as we use in Az a bunch of bailing wire but, this is for my daughter and her dog, and well they are both too cute to have it fall so I think something a little stronger might be better. Plus it will keep the wife from burying me under the bed .

I started looking at that catalog and wow they have a lot available.

For the slip couplers would it be better to have it inside or outside, or would it make a difference?

Bob
Old 03-11-2019, 05:45 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Yea I was thinking of using the duck tap or as we use in Az a bunch of bailing wire but, this is for my daughter and her dog, and well they are both too cute to have it fall so I think something a little stronger might be better. Plus it will keep the wife from burying me under the bed .
Bob
Bob, I'm glad you took all that in Stride of it being meant only in a humorous way of which it was intended...

Quote:
I started looking at that catalog and wow they have a lot available.Bob
If our referring to the triple-S catalog? yep, they have a lot of stuff there.

They have specialty items as well as specialty dimensions of steel products also...
Not sure what shipping steel would cost as they are a local source here... and if i need something its usually a trip over... but they do have a few things to offer that can aid in project related build's or fabrication that might sometimes make thing a bit easier on a guy or gal...

Quote:
For the slip couplers would it be better to have it inside or outside, or would it make a difference?Bob
Now as for which direction to go. I'm thinking it does not matter. I think it really depends on the Look of the frame project you are looking to come out with.
Now, this is just my opinion as I don't feel one or the other will make much difference of strength per, say... both will be strong enough...
But I am looking at it this way we know both will be strong enough!
but personally, I think if you want it to look cookie cutter commercially designed "Go with the inside couplers" But if your looking for that custom Irion grid type look I'd "Go with the Outer couplings" maybe use your knowledge as a blacksmith to give em a lil bit of a hammered look and there ya go...

"But" also taking into consideration it is for your little girl well she may not like that look of hammered old iron... so really I think that would be your call and maybe get her input on it as well...

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!
Old 03-11-2019, 08:26 PM
Perpetuus Discipulus de Vita

I was thinking like a caster bolts to a bolt pattern. Two identical ones, welded like a cap on a mitered steel tube.

Sent from GPS tracking device

David Finch Mixed Media Creations
My YouTube Channel

"Of all of our inventions for mass communication, pictures still speak the most universally understood language." - Walt Disney

"Formal education will make you a living;
Self education will make you a fortune." - Jim Rohn
Old 03-12-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Bob, I'm glad you took all that in Stride of it being meant only in a humorous way of which it was intended...
LOL, yea it was pretty easy to see the humor in that! If you take things to serious this world would be a pretty bleak place

Quote:
If our referring to the triple-S catalog? yep, they have a lot of stuff there.
We dont have a TripleS but we do have an Industrial Metal Supply which is very similar, although with the prices I'm thinking a trip to the scrap yard.

Quote:
"But" also taking into consideration it is for your little girl well she may not like that look of hammered old iron... so really I think that would be your call and maybe get her input on it as well...
LOL, she's 19 and at college right now, hopefully this will be done before she comes home in May, I figure if I put a pink stripe down it she wont even look at how its made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weldor2005 View Post
I was thinking like a caster bolts to a bolt pattern. Two identical ones, welded like a cap on a mitered steel tube.
Now I understand what you meant by a bolt flange, I don't know why I didn't realize that before

Thank you for all the help

Bob
Old 03-12-2019, 11:57 AM
Made From Scratch

The bolt flange would probably be the easiest but it wouldn't have a very clean look to it. Sockets, or solid inserts would probably look the best.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Shade View Post
The bolt flange would probably be the easiest but it wouldn't have a very clean look to it. Sockets, or solid inserts would probably look the best.
Having an edge might be an issue if she gets to close, I dont want to leave that sticking out. Hopefully tonight or tomorrow I'll figure out what I want to make this with and then saturday hit the scrap yard

Bob