Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 02-28-2019, 03:21 PM
Elite Member

Default Swivel Base for Parker 985 Vise

I'm not sure if the swivel mount that I wish to make or this vise should be highlighted in this thread as I find both quite kewl.

This style vise with the large diameter screw and built in anvil is called a "service vise". It looks as Parker called this line of service vise (or vice as y'all from the UK spell it) "Big Bear". It was available in a 4" jaw model 984 or 5" jaw model 985. They could be had with or without a swivel base. At 102 lbs. I consider the 985 vise as entering the big vise category. It is in what I would consider extraordinarily good condition, especially for one this large as the bigger ones seem to get beat on more often.

This is a filler project as I have two others going on at this time. I hope this thread will help to keep me motivated to finish it sooner than later.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	191.0 KB
ID:	149632  

Aren't energy consumption and computers supposed to make life less stressful?

If you are not having fun then you are doing it wrong.
Old 02-28-2019, 03:29 PM
Curmudgeon

Parkers are splendid vises, made with fine attention to detail compared to most.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 02-28-2019, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutter View Post
Parkers are splendid vises, made with fine attention to detail compared to most.
I can't get my swivel base to lock tight enough not to rotate when I'm doing any serious work with it. I've actually considered trying to weld it in a stationary position, but I know that would be a crime.

I've somehow tightened the locking handle down tight enough that I can't easily get it loose. One of these days I'm going to have to take the whole thing apart and see what can be done to improve it.
Old 03-01-2019, 12:51 PM
Elite Member

The drawing shows the footprint of the vise in bold line. The light lines show my intention for the swivel base. I have started by trimming off most of the unwanted material from a 1" thick steel plate. I used a horizontal band saw to do this. The rest of the machine work will be done on the rotary table and milling machine.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	84
Size:	192.3 KB
ID:	149642  

Old 03-01-2019, 12:55 PM
Elite Member

A view from the other side. I can spot a Parker from forty feet. They have unusually shaped jaws that form a radius when close together. This is ideal for high clamping pressure while providing clearance for your hands.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	69
Size:	192.9 KB
ID:	149643  

Old 03-01-2019, 10:39 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer View Post
I can't get my swivel base to lock tight enough not to rotate when I'm doing any serious work with it. I've actually considered trying to weld it in a stationary position, but I know that would be a crime.

I've somehow tightened the locking handle down tight enough that I can't easily get it loose. One of these days I'm going to have to take the whole thing apart and see what can be done to improve it.
Geez, don't weld it.
Take the locking bolt handles off and remove the bolt/nut combo from the base. Mark the spots on the table through the swivel base, drill and bolt right through to the bottom of the table.
Now you can reef on it.

"I must abide by my core values, my ethical responsibilities and constitutional obligations. There can be a cost to acting on one’s principles, but there is a bigger cost to abandoning them.” Jane Philpott
Old 03-01-2019, 10:41 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer View Post

I knew a guy who had the same problem. He welded 8 spots inside the swivel base on the upper and lower side with nickle rod so the vise could be moved around and then locked in by the spot welds, so the stress from twisting was contained by the spot welds instead of the friction of the bases.

You want a friend in Washington? Get a dog.
Harry S. Truman
Old 03-01-2019, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
Geez, don't weld it.
Take the locking bolt handles off and remove the bolt/nut combo from the base. Mark the spots on the table through the swivel base, drill and bolt right through to the bottom of the table.
Now you can reef on it.
This is what I did with my vise.

I don't really understand the need for a swivel base.
Old 03-01-2019, 11:22 PM
Auction Addict

I have one with a swivel base and the jaws also swivel. Very handy to rotate the jaws and clamp something vertically.

You want a friend in Washington? Get a dog.
Harry S. Truman
Old 03-03-2019, 12:02 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Zach View Post

I don't really understand the need for a swivel base.
It depends on what you use the vise for and what may be in close proximity to it. My shop often has many objects in and around my work area. There have been numerous times where a swivel vise allowed me to clamp on to an odd shaped or long work piece. In these situations I was able to rotate the vise so I could clear objects on a workbench or the workbench itself. I may have had a vehicle or a machine next to the vise that would have otherwise interfered with an extra long object I wanted to clamp. When forming rod, bar and such a swivel vise will allow one to position the work so a full swing can be made while the iron is hot.