Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 11-04-2018, 06:29 AM
Elite Member

That is a lot of steel. How good of a price are you getting it for? Is it just a lifetime supply, that you are buying at scrap price of 10 cents a pound, that makes it worth while for you to straighten yourself?

I would try it myself if the deal was good enough, but trying to straighten it out is going to be a lot of work in full width pieces? With out making special rollers I believe.

Of course, not sure how much of a curve will be in the sheet when unrolled, the curve might be just right for snow plow blades. Side business you did not think about.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 11-04-2018, 07:35 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKeithR View Post
Wow! Just Wow! I don't like to be negative but I don't think you have any idea how much trapped energy and "spring" there is in that coil. I can't imagine being able to get it straight enough to be useful for anything...
You are almost contradicting yourself here. The more stored energy there is the straighter the sheet will be.

Material like this doesn't need to be straight for all jobs. Sometimes a sheet can be held in place with clamps while it is fastened, or used as is like when making a round tank (which is one thing I want to make with it). In some applications the stress in a certain direction can be an advantage.

You are right, I have no idea, but if I don't try I never will. If I had a lack of "imagination" and listened to the advice of others telling me "you can't or "you shouldn't" or "your'e stupid" I might still be working in the wallpaper wear house.

Aren't energy consumption and computers supposed to make life less stressful?

If you are not having fun then you are doing it wrong.
Old 11-04-2018, 07:53 AM
Gadget Girl

I wouldn't assume people are telling you any of those things which are dirogetory or insulting..

The reason for what is being said is simply because of the size of the job at hand..

a 4" By 2ft long piece of 1/8" is pretty managable from all aspects..

A sheet 4'X ( ) is a whole other bunch of monkeys.. If you have the equipment to work with such large material you can save a bunch of money on it..

But knowing myself just how much is needed force wise to get it flat or in the proper diameter for finishing (welding, cutting, etc, etc.. ) We are talking ton's of force no matter which course of action is taken..

or rollers to straighten the sheet.. Or rollers to roll it tighter..

Also keep in mind that as the roll gets smaller so does the diameter or the force needed to open it till elastic deformation takes place..

I like the aspect of sitting back and watching but please don't take it as an insult..

I always marvel at what people can do... I can't wait to see how it happens and I am rooting for you all the way..

If I defend myself I am attacked.

My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.
Old 11-04-2018, 07:59 AM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

It fell off the truck...Where ?
Fuggataboutit already.....

I would try a simple plate compactor with the plate laying on the ground.

Not on concrete, rather dirt or mud, so the plate can go down
in a bit to over bend.

Most of the coils I see coming from the mills are 40 klbs.
Old 11-04-2018, 09:32 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

Plate this thin is flexible enough to use on some work that needs a curve and some that is straight will be flattened as needed. I have a 12 ft sheet of rolled 1/2" plate that was given to me because nobody could use it. Nobody but me. After I have cut the piece to size that I want I put it through the press to flatten or re-curve it. Just made front fenders for a large loader from some of it. I had to curve it much more than it was.

I would suggest going to a plate shop where they sell plate and ask them for a tour and see how they unroll and chop sheets.

BTW, they always make mistakes and the sheets they cut too short or long go for 50% off.

"I must abide by my core values, my ethical responsibilities and constitutional obligations. There can be a cost to acting on one’s principles, but there is a bigger cost to abandoning them.” Jane Philpott
Old 11-04-2018, 09:32 AM

threepiece

I agree with a lot of comments posted... backyard solutions ain't gonna work. Worked in a steel mill for38 years and they have some serious rolling mills to handle that material.

depending on your cost per pound it might be a good investment to find a fab shop that can roll it flat and cut it at same time into more usable sheets.. say 8' lengths.. they you still have a job handling that without some hydraulic help.

A sheet of 4'x8' 14 ga is about more than one guy can safely handle. Found a table that says 1/8" is roughly 5#s per s.f. so a 4x8 sheet would be 160#s. I wouldn't want to play with that all day, but, I'm old and broke down

j
Old 11-04-2018, 10:24 AM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by threepiece View Post
.You are right, I have no idea, but if I don't try I never will. If I had a lack of "imagination" and listened to the advice of others telling me "you can't or "you shouldn't" or "your'e stupid" I might still be working in the wallpaper wear house.
Hey Now I resemble that statement ………..

Oh Pardon me...….. I'm pretty sure a lot of us here resemble that statement
it's why we are fabricators, weldor's, smithies, mechanics, machinist old school and the new school craftsmen...

I do not know how many times I have been told you can't do that but for some odd reason I found a way or I modified my original intent/idea
But not to prove someone wrong but to satisfy my self....

I do agree with a lot of what OP are saying it is good advise and from some with first hand experience...

But at the same time I believe we can do anything we put our mind too
and it appears to me you have in your mind what you wish and need to accomplish and I believe you will accomplish what you have planned out to do.
but foresee a little frustration in it and some rethinking of different way of getting it done....an maybe a bit of hammer throwing with some choice wording attached But I'm rooting for ya on your project

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!
Old 11-04-2018, 10:49 AM
Blast this!

Please be careful . I have seen guys wear halos for months , broken arms from the slap of coil steel bands being cut when the safties were not properly done .
Old 11-04-2018, 02:26 PM
Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by threepiece View Post
You are right, I have no idea, but if I don't try I never will. If I had a lack
of "imagination" and listened to the advice of others telling me "you can't
or "you shouldn't" or "your'e stupid" I might still be working in the wallpaper
wear house.
Well if you are going to attempt to work with this, please make
sure your health and life insurances are paid up to date.

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 11-04-2018, 02:50 PM
Elite Member

Key to this is safety. Clamps, chain binders and such will assist with this. And do it while someone is close enough to help as needed. Without knowing the properties of the steel, you don't know how it will react to the band removal. If it were me, I would use more than just the 2 clamps to replace the bands. I would go 3 or 4. That way you always have more than 1 clamp on it.