Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 02-05-2019, 06:18 PM
Elite Member

I've got a couple ruger cranes, they are nice but no way in hell worth what they charge for retail! If it wasn't for getting them surplus, I'd never own them. Nice crane and press.
Old 03-10-2019, 12:00 PM

I would really like to come up with a way to make this shop crane more maneuverable. With having the two separate swivel casters on the back under all the counter-balance weights, it is challenging to get this thing to go where I want it. As I'm sure many of you have encountered on other types of equipment with swivel casters, it is often difficult to get the casters to synchronize with each other, as far as which direction they are pointing.

This manufacturer, Ruger Industries, seems to have figured that out themselves some years ago, as they no longer manufacture these with two separate swivel casters. If you watch the video at this link below, you'll see they now have one larger and wider pivoting wheel centered on the back of the crane. They call this 'Easy Steer' and I'd like to somehow mimic this design.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2vO...ature=youtu.be

My initial thinking is to reuse both of the wheels themselves off of the two existing swivel casters in the attached picture, as obviously they are already rated to handle this kind of weight and they are already paid for. I'd weld up a new yoke similar to the one shown in the second attached picture, which is just a screen shot from the video, to mount the two existing wheels inside, probably with a center support separating the two wheels.

I may need some help in designing the best way to weld on a new crossmember to the back of the crane to mount the wheel to, but first I need to figure out what type of bearing I'd want to use between the new yoke and that crossmember.

According to the truck scale that I used when I picked this crane up from the auction house, it weighs 2,820 pounds by itself. I'd like the bearing to be rated quite a bit above that, as I'd like it to operate very smoothly and it is not something I'd want to have to replace.

If someone could point me in the right direction for the type of bearing I should be looking for at McMaster or some other source, I would appreciate it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Existing Casters.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	195.2 KB
ID:	149815   Click image for larger version

Name:	Easy Steer Wheel.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	149819  
Old 03-10-2019, 01:02 PM
The Real Deal

Something like this would work, the thrust bearing would depend on the size of the shaft you use. Nothing critical here with as far as the bearing goes
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bearing.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	149826  
Old 03-10-2019, 01:02 PM
trust but verify

It would be easy to weld a tab on each existing caster, a tab for a pivot in the middle, then have both casters steer together like a kids wagon. Stable, cheap, easy to steer, no bearings to buy, no casters to remove and move.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monckywrench View Post
It would be easy to weld a tab on each existing caster, a tab for a pivot in the middle, then have both casters steer together like a kids wagon. Stable, cheap, easy to steer, no bearings to buy, no casters to remove and move.
Unless I'm misunderstanding, they would no longer be able to swivel 360 degrees. That is what dissuaded me from pursuing that option.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:15 PM
I can dig it

Yep, they are a nightmare to move around. There’s a reason why we used a bridge crane instead, we only used the picker when we absolutely had to.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Old 03-10-2019, 01:57 PM
trust but verify

Quote:
Unless I'm misunderstanding, they would no longer be able to swivel 360 degrees. That is what dissuaded me from pursuing that option.
They won't go 360 but the reason that's handy with separate casters is for them to self-align like a shopping cart when the crane was pushed in a given direction since they aren't connected by a drag link. The nice thing about unsteered casters is they self-align most of the time. The sucky thing is when they don't.

If you have a forklift shop nearby they often have nice beastly used castering wheels with bearings, some with self-levelling suspension. Dual wheeled versions exist since I have one, but I can't determine the brand. Used forklift wheels can turn into large diameter steel wheels if the urethane tire is removed.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:49 PM
Elite Member

Id just find the steering end of a pallet jack and weld it on. No injuneering needed.