Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 03-10-2019, 09:28 AM
Lubrication Consultant

I think this is the best method of choosing paint... questions one should ask him/her self... these questions will determine several things...

1: Is there a budget that needs to be met?
2: The biggest question Is How Often do you want to repaint it?
3: What type of finish are you looking for?
4: how durable will it need to be?

Best paint supplies available for the biggest bang for On a budget buck.
that will give you good long lasting durability and or finish.

Magic brand paints from TSC... durable quality paint used properly with the hardener and reducer will yield an outstanding finish, the finish will determine weather brushed on or sprayed on but are limited to few colors...

Here is the believe it or not! for rattle cans for long-lasting and fair finish for a cheap price the cheap rattle cans from Dollar General... generally are high-quality enamels and lacquers used with the same brand rattle can primer fro DG will yield in a fair finish and durable finish although they also have a clear coat finish suitable to top coat the paint with it as well is a semi-gloss at best.
regardless I would turn my nose up at it as it is a pretty good bang for the buck... but again you're limited to color choices there as well...

There are so many painting prosses out there today and few are of high quality for a cheap cost... cheap cost usually means cheap paint and very short longevity of paint or paint finish...

it comes down to the higher quality, longer lasting, tough durability to the elements or traffic... the higher the cost... but the two mentioned will leave you surprised. Cheap and gives you the big bang for the buck...

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!
Old 03-10-2019, 10:13 AM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
My standards are so low that I think they both look great.
I don't know Gerry. I have seen the JD project you were working on and I didn't see a low standard the paint choice on these two tractors was not intended to ride in any parade but for resale...
both were in, sad rusted out shape when I started and not my best work but I don't find too many people who want a show car finish on their farm tractor a least not around here.

Here is a pic of the blue tractor before it returns to a fair stage of appearance.
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1711.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	179.5 KB
ID:	149810Click image for larger version

Name:	20170320_160053.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	217.3 KB
ID:	149811Click image for larger version

Name:	20170810_131035_HDR.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	202.3 KB
ID:	149812

Old 03-10-2019, 11:24 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalWolf View Post
I don't know Gerry. I have seen the JD project you were working on and I didn't see a low standard the paint choice on these two tractors was not intended to ride in any parade but for resale...
both were in, sad rusted out shape when I started and not my best work but I don't find too many people who want a show car finish on their farm tractor a least not around here.

Here is a pic of the blue tractor before it returns to a fair stage of appearance.
Attachment 149810Attachment 149811Attachment 149812
Thanks, Wolfy. In the original posting, there was mention of spray bombs IRRC. That is a terrible thing to paint with and VERY toxic. Most people, me included, do not use an organic solvent mask when using a spray bomb. Chemical pneumonia is a byproduct of this stuff, as it is 50% MEK and 25% propellant, and 25% color. Another problem is the solvent in a spraybomb will dissolve and wrinkle a previous coat if you are doing a second coat of paint.

Once I started using real paint, I was amazed at the coverage of a small amount of color when using a base/clearcoat paint. I have since graduated to using a two part epoxy paint for primer and color coat. It has a great gloss, and is tough as hell and weather resistant.
I have running battles with runs. I found a light coat of paint is good, and then when it has tacked up a bit I redo it with a second coat heavy enough to flash or wet, and it does not want to run. If you do a flash coat right off and it is not horizontal, you may have runs.

"I must abide by my core values, my ethical responsibilities and constitutional obligations. There can be a cost to acting on one’s principles, but there is a bigger cost to abandoning them.” Jane Philpott
Old 03-10-2019, 10:23 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
Thanks, Wolfy. In the original posting, there was mention of spray bombs IRRC. That is a terrible thing to paint with and VERY toxic. Most people, me included, do not use an organic solvent mask when using a spray bomb. Chemical pneumonia is a byproduct of this stuff, as it is 50% MEK and 25% propellant, and 25% color. Another problem is the solvent in a spraybomb will dissolve and wrinkle a previous coat if you are doing a second coat of paint.

Once I started using real paint, I was amazed at the coverage of a small amount of color when using a base/clearcoat paint. I have since graduated to using a two part epoxy paint for primer and color coat. It has a great gloss, and is tough as hell and weather resistant.
I have running battles with runs. I found a light coat of paint is good, and then when it has tacked up a bit I redo it with a second coat heavy enough to flash or wet, and it does not want to run. If you do a flash coat right off and it is not horizontal, you may have runs.
Yep... I'm no painter. I no nothing, nothing, nothing about painting
Although I painted my first show car when I was 16 left the show in third place... 15ish show car and even a few more various custom paint jobs later, and I still don't know shit about painting...

Have two professional painters in the neighborhood, who use to drive by and holler shit about painting out in the dirt. it's going to be a fudged up yada, yada crap and then felt the need to stop and look em over once I was finished... and they didn't have much to say after...

I am an old school painter I have ways around certain issues allot of people tend to get in a crack with or just plain can't work around...

I don't sweat runs when on occasion I do get them but don't scare me any... And all though I never painted to make a living it was more because I could

I try not to take in any big body and paintwork if I can help it at least not under an 8-10k job...

I get people all the time who want me to paint for them... but I just haven't had an interest in doing the budget paintwork jobs in a long time... arthritis sees to that... the pain is not worth the money.

And I also refuse to shoot any house of colors it's great paint but way too unforgiving to shoot...

As for rattle cans, it is a budget thing for most people who don't know how involved certain paintwork can be or is done... I use A pure air feed respirator when I paint... make no sense not to in any brand or type to not use some sort of proper protection of your lungs...

But for the people who all they know is rattle can all I can do is suggest the ones I know will yield the best results for finish and durability...

But no one should ask er listen to me about painting cause I don't know shit about painting... But if a fella gots a small little 5-10K plus job maybe, just maybe I might be game, just all depends on how much swiss cheese... I have to repair to get it done... too much swiss cheese... Equals too much pain and suffering. So the pain and suffering now days outweigh the greens...

Gerry. you mention using normal automotive paints. still risks with not using a proper breathing apparatus, may not be propellants in it but are some other agents you sure don't want to be breathing in... as for finish and outcomes and runs etc. primers use various sizes nozzles as well as base coats and clear coats all use depending the pain and prosses you are doing my guns range from very high-end Satajets and Iwata to middle of the road all the way down to the HF pro series...

which by the way is an exact copy of straight lines series and are really sweet guns for 60 bucks vs's the same branded one for 300 is a good investment.
an affordable gun and almost anyone can lay a decent coat of paint...

But the use of my spray guns depends on the job I'm doing, and type of paint being sprayed...

you have to look at spray guns like digital pics in the way they lay the paint, the better the gun the better, it will lay the paint... sort of like throwing large pixels on something and getting a grainy pic or something like 1000 times the pixels and getting glamor shots over polaroid pics...

I mean its a bit more technical than that but, I'm trying to explain it in a way that, I think, Most can understand it in a way, somewhat better...