Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Blacksmithing & Forming

SFT Search:   

Old 01-28-2019, 04:32 PM
Gadget Girl

Default How to Forge a Flatter.. :)

How to forge a flatter from 1" sq 1018 mild steel..

Was a fun project..

https://youtu.be/kLUCvkpLKlc

If I defend myself I am attacked.

My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:06 PM

Watched this one ,appreciate the effort that it took.Many thanks for posting.
wayne
Old 01-29-2019, 02:54 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Jen... Just wanted to say I enjoy watching your videos... you are truly a remarkably skilled person, And I see the meaning of blood sweat and tears and the passion that you put into your work... truly amazing...
And I would love to have a piece made by your hand if only I knew what I would want... and sorry to sound dumb here but do you have a site of the good's made by you for sale make to order type of work?

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!
Old 01-29-2019, 03:10 PM
Standard of Excellence

I guess in this case flattery can get you somewhere. I have made exactly one hammer. It is my most used hammer. I am glad that I made it, as it taught me a valuable lesson, making hammers is hard. Now I don't mind paying for a good hammer as I know what goes into them. I can make more money in the hour it takes to forge a hammer than what it cost to buy one.
Old 01-29-2019, 05:37 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
I guess in this case flattery can get you somewhere. I have made exactly one hammer. It is my most used hammer. I am glad that I made it, as it taught me a valuable lesson, making hammers is hard. Now I don't mind paying for a good hammer as I know what goes into them. I can make more money in the hour it takes to forge a hammer than what it cost to buy one.
No flattery meant, Just saying how I appreciate the work Jen does I my self can not do and well I would rather not do, it is some hard work and takes, in my opinion, some pretty good control of your tools... hell I know i would in that situation have either broke or put a hammer through the window door or wall just because of my clumsiness or forget what the heck I was doing and grab a hot piece of metal without tongs because of issues I have of being focused on but the one thing when there are several in motion prosses you need to focused on at the time...

as well as I appreciate things that are hand made more so than assembly line made everyone's got one like...
I'm sure Jen and others would agree that she or others with her skills can make to hammers or two sets of tongs yes they are the same but no two are identical each will have a different characteristic...

Besides flattery don't get anyone anywhere, It just makes one blush is all...

Old 02-12-2019, 07:51 PM
Gadget Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
Hammers can be fun to make.. I've been enjoying making things that before i would not have simply because time is money..

Now I don't really sell anything so for me to go and make a video or to play around with steeling hammers or making wrought or mild steel items and facing them.. Its fun and can add or refine a skill set.

I still like my hand made hammers better than bought ones.. My original hammers are still used regularly but this changes from time to time..

The 2.75 steeled wrought iron is a little to light but it has its place..

Making money is a great thing.. I am so impressed with smiths who can stick it out..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalWolf View Post
No flattery meant, Just saying how I appreciate the work Jen does I my self can not do and well I would rather not do, it is some hard work and takes, in my opinion, some pretty good control of your tools... hell I know i would in that situation have either broke or put a hammer through the window door or wall just because of my clumsiness or forget what the heck I was doing and grab a hot piece of metal without tongs because of issues I have of being focused on but the one thing when there are several in motion prosses you need to focused on at the time...

as well as I appreciate things that are hand made more so than assembly line made everyone's got one like...
I'm sure Jen and others would agree that she or others with her skills can make to hammers or two sets of tongs yes they are the same but no two are identical each will have a different characteristic...

Besides flattery don't get anyone anywhere, It just makes one blush is all...
Thanks.. The comments are much appreciated.. I could teach someone in 6months that took me 20 years to learn..

Your point about items forged.. It is one of the things that makes smithing to me so appealing.. While the items might look the same... There is never the same hammer blow... Though once you get good enough you can predict to the exact moment where the metal will go and by just how much..

Thanks again..

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Old 02-16-2019, 01:32 AM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by allessence View Post
Hammers can be fun to make.. I've been enjoying making things that before i would not have simply because time is money..

Now I don't really sell anything so for me to go and make a video or to play around with steeling hammers or making wrought or mild steel items and facing them.. Its fun and can add or refine a skill set.

I still like my hand made hammers better than bought ones.. My original hammers are still used regularly but this changes from time to time..

The 2.75 steeled wrought iron is a little to light but it has its place..

Making money is a great thing.. I am so impressed with smiths who can stick it out..

Thanks.. The comments are much appreciated.. I could teach someone in 6months that took me 20 years to learn..

Your point about items forged.. It is one of the things that makes smithing to me so appealing.. While the items might look the same... There is never the same hammer blow... Though once you get good enough you can predict to the exact moment where the metal will go and by just how much..

Thanks again..
Jen, you are Welcome it was meant as a compliment. I do enjoy watching your videos. and also believe a person should be told that their work is appreciated when people tell me they appreciate my work it doesn't give me a swelled head but does make me want to strive even more to do even better and reminds me not to change the way I work for others...

and although there are two pieces that are the same the hammer blow is what makes it different an not alike and that it still a one of a kind...

I know there is a lot more heavy labor that goes into smithing of metals...

I kind of see napping in the same way... I can make twenty dart points and all have the same geometrical shape and similarities but no one is ever going to be alike, in flaking of the point its self. not even sure if it is possible either

I've made some nice pieces, but I do not do the napping as a money maker or hobby it is one way I use to deal with pressure, boredom, and stress as odd as that might sound...

I always seem to amaze my self when I'm done with a piece. when I've started out with a fist size piece of flint or chert and come out with a nice point... and then all that stress seems to have gone away...

Old 02-16-2019, 06:15 PM
Elite Member

Default The life of a vise

The video makes you realize the life a blacksmith's vise lives.
Off center loads and the getting the heck beat out of it.
Old 02-16-2019, 06:30 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs2244 View Post
The video makes you realize the life a blacksmith's vise lives.
Off center loads and the getting the heck beat out of it.
Domestic vise abuse....

Old 02-16-2019, 07:09 PM
Gadget Girl

Its the reason why a Leg vise is the only one that will work for any given length of time..

They were mainly made out wrought iron and until very recent times nearly always forged..

The newest version are mild steel with tool steel faces welded on.. What I read that somewhere..

It really is amazing what a leg vise will put up with..

My google+ page

DoALL 36"