Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 01-15-2019, 11:31 PM
Auction Addict

Default Another ATV Issue

My 2006 Honda Rancher carb is leaking gas from the carb. Found the float to be the problem and it is not adjustable so that you can set the float level. Ordered a carb last week and screwed up and read the model number wrong so had to return it and just ordered a new one. New carb with fuel filter was $16.87 free shipping on Amazon. Fuel petcock shut off is also on the way.

Pics when parts arrive.

You want a friend in Washington? Get a dog.
Harry S. Truman
Old 01-16-2019, 11:27 PM
Karma Avenger

That's another one of those Chinese knock offs. I've seen those things new right out of the box needing a carb overhaul. Hopefully it works out for you.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:23 AM

Default rancher repair

The Honda Rancher is a great reliable utility quad for getting around..they were one of the best utility machines out there.Don't know if I'd do any serious hillclimbs with it but for everyday flatland use they're great. For $16.87 I think I'd get two carbs,one as a spare-can't beat that price..don't forget eBay for used parts if you need them,lots of quads get parted out there by licensed shops..I had an a-arm go bad,new was 323.54 from the dealer even with a discount,eBay had many used ones to pick from in good shape for around $100..something to think about FWIW
Strands Gear Drive Drill Press, RongFu 3hp Gear Drive Drill
Tannewitz 36" Contour Saw, 16" 5hp Chop Saw
Rockwell 6x48 belt grinder,Grizzly 6x48 belt sander
48" Chicago Box Pan Brake, Hydraulic compact Press Brake
3 forklifts,4 generators,2 IR Air compressors
Not Enough Room
Old 01-17-2019, 06:23 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

Hate to tell you the bad news, but the originals were a Chinese knock off, too.

The Harbour fright knockoff engines are from the same Chinese factory that makes Honda motors.
I met with a rep from the importer that brings them in for Princess Auto and others in Canada. They had a legal confrontation with Honda and the Chinese manufacturer on this, as Honda insisted that the engine had to be different from their brand. So both companies and the mfg came to a settlement that the difference would be that Honda has a cast iron cam gear and the Chonda's will have a nylon gear.
I'd say Honda lost that one.

He says, and I have no reason to doubt him, that Honda makes cars and motorcycles only and any other motors, cycle accessories, ag tools, mowers, etc are made in China.

"I must abide by my core values, my ethical responsibilities and constitutional obligations. There can be a cost to acting on one’s principles, but there is a bigger cost to abandoning them.” Jane Philpott
Old 01-17-2019, 12:02 PM
Lubrication Consultant

And GOD Said Let There Be Light...................An There was Light
And the Courts' said there must be a difference......... And then there was a plastic gear...... And then the China MFg said......... But you will still be able to use the metal gear in place of the plastic gear, They'll interchangeable......

In today's world brand names no longer mean anything to the ones who Know!
all too often we are going to run in to people who are still afflicted by the E.F.Duh;ah syndrome, And will always believe that if they pay XXX Time the amount for a Branded Name they think they know... Will always believe they are so much better than the other guy who has the same unbranded unit, Or unit branded with another name on it.. and want to think assembled in the U.S. with parts of unknown origin and even when they leave that out and simply say assembled in the U.S. that it's Sooooo Much better and are now Sooo much more superior too... and don't even realize it still just a branded Name.....
Still nevertheless A branded name they think they know, And you will never convince them otherwise....

So when the rest of the world is paying 16 bucks for a carburetor that came out of the same mfg. Just as the other one that came from there, With the difference of....being sold by the branded dealer for 300 plus, well its just perfect math for me... To Just simply allow the other guy too know more than the rest of the world....

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!
Old 01-17-2019, 12:29 PM
Something's Fishy ...

When the chondas first appeared in princess auto a friend and I had a contract cleaning up dead wood and dangerous trees in Jasper national park.
We ran crews of national park employees using park owned splitters to cut and store the wood which Parks Canada then sold to campers for use in approved fire pit in campground throughout the park.
The splitters saw a lot of abuse because the operators were minimum wage types. The splitters had asset numbers and needed to match the inventory description at inventory.
Long story short it was far cheaper to put the honda tin on a Chonda then to buy Honda parts and rebuild the burned up Hondas.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:37 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry lingle View Post
When the chondas first appeared in princess auto a friend and I had a contract cleaning up dead wood and dangerous trees in Jasper national park.
We ran crews of national park employees using park owned splitters to cut and store the wood which Parks Canada then sold to campers for use in approved fire pit in campground throughout the park.
The splitters saw a lot of abuse because the operators were minimum wage types. The splitters had asset numbers and needed to match the inventory description at inventory.
Long story short it was far cheaper to put the honda tin on a Chonda then to buy Honda parts and rebuild the burned up Hondas.
you can now buy honda engine kits dirt cheap you just have to assemble the engine at almost 1/10 the cost of complete engine buy so when it was hard here to get the chandra aparts we put honda parts on them but those moldes then and now are still XL models not the GS but most bolt ons still work back and forth.... internals not so much for the GS models

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!
Old 01-17-2019, 01:32 PM

Here is a Tube video on China, history and manufacturing.
I found the comments interesting also.
I liked this one:
Quote:
Zawlwin Moe
2 months ago
China sees a problem, the government fixes it.
USA sees a problem, both political sides fight over it until no one remembers what the problem was..And i'm not chinese!!!

"I must abide by my core values, my ethical responsibilities and constitutional obligations. There can be a cost to acting on one’s principles, but there is a bigger cost to abandoning them.” Jane Philpott
Old 01-17-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalWolf View Post
And GOD Said Let There Be Light...................An There was Light
And the Courts' said there must be a difference......... And then there was a plastic gear...... And then the China MFg said......... But you will still be able to use the metal gear in place of the plastic gear, They'll interchangeable......
I agree with you post but why the gear was a win for the Chonda, is that if the plastic gear piles up, you just wash it out and put in another gear.

If the cast gear piles up, you replace the crank because the crank gear is chewed up, and the bearing surface scored with metal parts, and maybe the piston or bore is damaged by flying chunks of gear mixing it up with a con rod....

Old 01-17-2019, 01:44 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
I agree with you post but why the gear was a win for the Chonda, is that if the plastic gear piles up, you just wash it out and put in another gear.

If the cast gear piles up, you replace the crank because the crank gear is chewed up, and the bearing surface scored with metal parts, and maybe the piston or bore is damaged by flying chunks of gear mixing it up with a con rod....
I expect he implied China was still selling and making money. A smart person would replace the plastic gear with a metal one as soon as they bought it, IF THEY KNEW.

You want a friend in Washington? Get a dog.
Harry S. Truman