Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Blacksmithing & Forming

SFT Search:   

Old 10-06-2019, 02:30 PM
Gold Star Dad

Way to go! Good work!
Old 10-06-2019, 10:56 PM
Elite Member

Yay, Jen. You are a pro, as in you know what you are doing vs fumbling around trying not to waste time. Beautiful work.

I believe in gun control.

Gun Control: The ability to consistently hit what you are aiming at.

Weldor by choice, engineer by necessity.
Old 10-07-2019, 04:18 AM
Gadget Girl

ok, I guess the Non pro card is lost on you guys as well. chuckle, chuckle.

I just know the difference between what I can do now and what I could do back then.

Few more years I'll be in pretty good forging shape again.

If I defend myself I am attacked.

My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.
Old 10-07-2019, 08:46 AM
Elite Member

Forging shape, think I will never see that shape in my body again. I equate that shape with being able to trim 6-10 horses and shoe two horses in one day. Ain't happening again for this guy! I can still trim that many if allowed to use my stocks.
Beautiful work Jennifer, attention to detail is everything. I love looking at your work and now watching your videos. Keep on keeping on girl!!!!
Old 10-07-2019, 08:13 PM
Gadget Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWS View Post
Forging shape, think I will never see that shape in my body again. I equate that shape with being able to trim 6-10 horses and shoe two horses in one day. Ain't happening again for this guy! I can still trim that many if allowed to use my stocks.
Beautiful work Jennifer, attention to detail is everything. I love looking at your work and now watching your videos. Keep on keeping on girl!!!!
It is funny how certain jobs really do just take it out of you.

31 years this year as a farrier.. Not shoeing anymore moved that customer along last year. Now Barefoot only..

I get decent money per trim but not nearly what I made in the shoeing game and besides that I put on about 75miles a day if not more.

If I were able to forge a few weeks everyday in a row I would be back in forging shape in no time. Problem is finding the time and then if I even had the time to be dedicated enough to get out there and do it. I think it's the reason why I love teaching and doing demo's so much now.

For years as a pro the only time I would forge is if I had a paying job. Otherwise the forge and shop would sit idle till the next job would come in.

Today I really have to forge 3 or 4 days in a row to get any decent return and then I take off a day and it's like I haven't done it in a month. Old age, change of season.. Blah, blah, blah.

I think what helped was I'm a perfectionist and still pretty good compared to status quo. But back in the day.. I could have been a contender. LOL.

Now I need a week off after an event like that. I come home from doing the 8-10 horses everyday and don't want to move.

Anyhow, Yes I am complaining as it's a thankless job and it's one of those jobs that just doesn't get any easier. On the backside of a half a century now so it's all downhill from here.. Wish I was on a bike or at least a skateboard vs swim fins.

I'm glad you found the videos and at least get something from them. The format will be changing as I got such rave reviews after the last one.

Thanks again. I certainly feel your pain. I used to trim 14 horses a day, come home run 4 miles and then go rock climbing for 3 or 4 hrs. then get gussied up to go out to dinner. LOL. Now I don't even bother to comb my hair but once in the morning and once at night.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Old 10-08-2019, 09:03 AM
Elite Member

As to combing your hair, that is why I went to a flat top haircut! Wash my face and hair with the same facecloth!! I went to OK Horseshoeing school in 1977. I would run a route of horses four nights a week after getting home from teaching school. Now I run a bus route and it is easier on the body. The one thing I found, after reaching a level of horses on a route I didn't want to have anything to do with my horses at home once I got home. It is starting to change finally, but it really screwed with my enjoyment of horses. I did my borium and toe clips using a heating tip on an oxygen-acetylene torch. I have had a couple different forges from time to time but the time to get the coal going, just wasn't me. Bought a forge from JW on this forum a couple years back, what a great buy! Life is to short, enjoy and do what you enjoy. Good luck on your endeavors!
Old 10-14-2019, 06:54 PM
Gadget Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWS View Post
As to combing your hair, that is why I went to a flat top haircut! Wash my face and hair with the same facecloth!! I went to OK Horseshoeing school in 1977. I would run a route of horses four nights a week after getting home from teaching school. Now I run a bus route and it is easier on the body. The one thing I found, after reaching a level of horses on a route I didn't want to have anything to do with my horses at home once I got home. It is starting to change finally, but it really screwed with my enjoyment of horses. I did my borium and toe clips using a heating tip on an oxygen-acetylene torch. I have had a couple different forges from time to time but the time to get the coal going, just wasn't me. Bought a forge from JW on this forum a couple years back, what a great buy! Life is to short, enjoy and do what you enjoy. Good luck on your endeavors!
wow, 1977. That is a heck of a lot of time working with horses. My original plan was to go to OK school. Served a local apprenticeship instead.

For sure on the hanging with them. mentally spent at that point in the day.

I can have a coal forge going in 5 minutes. I always looked at Gas as longer to come up to heat. I'd start the gas forge go and strip and by the time I got back from stripping 4 shoes the forge would be nearly ready for more work. but the second horse it would be plenty hot.

I don't think I have ever had a moment in my life where its been a "Do what you love" Moment.

For the most part everything I have ever done has always been in search of something.

I enjoy little facets of everything I do, but for the most part that percentage is very small. I know that when the time comes it will be what it is supposed to be.

9 more years and then I can slow a little.

I thought about being a bus driver about 5 years ago. It just never happened. What is the wage potential for a school bus driver?

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Old 10-14-2019, 10:15 PM
Elite Member

Jen, I doubt you would have any trouble "Driving" the bus. The HS kids are usually quiet both coming to school and going home. The Jr Hi like to see what they can get away with, but most of them are good. The little ones have more energy than they know what to do with. I think the teachers must feed they sugar about a half hour before they leave for home. Each school district has their own guide lines for discipline, but I think all you would have to do is stand up and tell them what you wanted. A cross-peen hammer kept for checking the "Tires" would definitely reinforce what you say.

Why do I have to press one for English when you're just gonna transfer me to someone I can't understand anyway?

Grant me the strength to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can & the friends to post my bail when I finally snap!

Last edited by Norm W; 10-14-2019 at 10:18 PM. Reason: bad typing