Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-05-2020, 10:48 AM
Shade Tree Welder's Avatar
Shade Tree Welder Shade Tree Welder is offline
Grumpy Bastard
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kankakee County, IL
Posts: 20,044
Default Engine Oil, Reading the Label.

This is nice short video. If you are running a stock engine, this is all you need to know.

https://youtu.be/bBRpcD3Y93s
__________________
Shade

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-05-2020, 12:23 PM
toprecycler's Avatar
toprecycler toprecycler is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Petoskey, Michigan
Posts: 4,529
Default

Since that video was 5 years old, is the current spec still SN?

For 2020 cars?

And are all oils usually backwards compatible? If I am using a 2000 car, and it calls for SL oil ( making this up, not sure how often they come up with new oils) is SN good enough for that motor?

Or do I have to have an engineering degree to be able to figure out the lawyers / engineers terminology in the actual specs?


Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk
__________________
Brian

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-05-2020, 01:32 PM
Shade Tree Welder's Avatar
Shade Tree Welder Shade Tree Welder is offline
Grumpy Bastard
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kankakee County, IL
Posts: 20,044
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by toprecycler View Post
Since that video was 5 years old, is the current spec still SN?

For 2020 cars?

And are all oils usually backwards compatible? If I am using a 2000 car, and it calls for SL oil ( making this up, not sure how often they come up with new oils) is SN good enough for that motor?

Or do I have to have an engineering degree to be able to figure out the lawyers / engineers terminology in the actual specs?


Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk
Yeah it is older but still applicable. SN is backwards compatible. SP is the
next spec to be used and is scheduled for May of this year. They skipped
the SO so they don't confuse democrats, uh, oh I mean morons...

There is some issues with backwards compatibility with some of the Diesel
engine oils as they have split in recent years. I don't own anything new
enough to worry about it. But if that comes up as a question we can review
it then.

https://www.api.org/products-and-ser...oil-categories
__________________
Shade

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley

Last edited by Shade Tree Welder; 03-05-2020 at 02:46 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-05-2020, 01:47 PM
astronut's Avatar
astronut astronut is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 927
Default

Simple and to the point info in the video. Thanks Shade!
__________________
I love the smell of napalm in the morning. It smells like, victory!

Victor Torch Set With Meco Regs
Lincoln Weld Pak 100
Giant Tech Arc 200
Miller Roughneck2E
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-05-2020, 02:34 PM
MotorDoctor's Avatar
MotorDoctor MotorDoctor is offline
Karma Avenger
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 4,815
Default

I looked up the specs for the wife's Honda HR-V 2016. There's no "S" rating listed in the owner's manual.
Quote:
Honda Genuine Motor Oil
• Premium-grade 0W-20 detergent oil with an API Certification Seal on the
container
This seal indicates the oil is energy conserving and
that it meets the American Petroleum Institute’s
latest requirements.
__________________
Director of Sarcasm (by appointment) Director of Innuendo (by suggestion)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-05-2020, 02:49 PM
Shade Tree Welder's Avatar
Shade Tree Welder Shade Tree Welder is offline
Grumpy Bastard
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kankakee County, IL
Posts: 20,044
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorDoctor View Post
I looked up the specs for the wife's Honda HR-V 2016. There's no "S" rating listed in the owner's manual.
Quote:
Premium-grade 0W-20 detergent oil with an API Certification Seal
on the container This seal indicates the oil is energy conserving
and that it meets the American Petroleum Institute’s latest
requirements
.
So that would be API Service SN as of today, in a 0W-20 viscosity grade;
and SP starting in May of this year.
__________________
Shade

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-05-2020, 03:11 PM
MotorDoctor's Avatar
MotorDoctor MotorDoctor is offline
Karma Avenger
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 4,815
Default

Thanks. I figured that. I'm sure the actual bottle of oil from Honda has it listed on the back also.
__________________
Director of Sarcasm (by appointment) Director of Innuendo (by suggestion)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-05-2020, 04:09 PM
nelstomlinson nelstomlinson is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Interior Alaska
Posts: 25
Default

So for my mid-'80s Ford Navistar diesels, and my mid-'70s Deeres, should I:

Use CK-4, which is current?
Use an oil which claims to meet CJ-4?
Or do I need to try to source CI-4 or CH-4, which are the last ones to mention being compatible with the CD or CC specs my old engines were designed around?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-05-2020, 05:19 PM
Shade Tree Welder's Avatar
Shade Tree Welder Shade Tree Welder is offline
Grumpy Bastard
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kankakee County, IL
Posts: 20,044
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelstomlinson View Post
So for my mid-'80s Ford Navistar diesels, and my mid-'70s Deeres, should I:

Use CK-4, which is current?
Use an oil which claims to meet CJ-4?
Or do I need to try to source CI-4 or CH-4, which are the last ones to mention being compatible with the CD or CC specs my old engines were designed around?
CK-4 is find to run in them, if your engine manual states SAE 15W-40, you
can use that or a SAE 5W-40 or SAE 10W-40 with no worries. If you have
an engine that states to use only a monograde oil like SAE 40 like the Detroit
Diesel 2 strokes then you should find a monograde, CITGO has it.

The reason the CC or CD are no longer mentioned is that testing is no longer
performed. But even when it was it was more for the test method and not
every formulation.

Stay clear of the F series for diesel engines unless you have an engine that
specifically calls for it. And then only use the F series products.


https://www.api.org/products-and-ser...l-c-categories
__________________
Shade

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-05-2020, 05:48 PM
toprecycler's Avatar
toprecycler toprecycler is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Petoskey, Michigan
Posts: 4,529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade Tree Welder View Post
CK-4 is find to run in them, if your engine manual states SAE 15W-40, you
can use that or a SAE 5W-40 or SAE 10W-40 with no worries. If you have
an engine that states to use only a monograde oil like SAE 40 like the Detroit
Diesel 2 strokes then you should find a monograde, CITGO has it.

The reason the CC or CD are no longer mentioned is that testing is no longer
performed. But even when it was it was more for the test method and not
every formulation.

Stay clear of the F series for diesel engines unless you have an engine that
specifically calls for it. And then only use the F series products.


https://www.api.org/products-and-ser...l-c-categories


Drat, you had to mention Detroit Diesels, didn’t you. Guess I better check the oil I use and do an oil change in my loader this year. I think I have only added maybe a quart or two since the last oil change 15 years ago.


Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk
__________________
Brian

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Web Search:

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.