Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 02-28-2020, 11:41 PM
Post Fiend

Exclamation Coronavirus Panic at Lowe's!

Coronavirus Panic at Lowe's!

Was at Lowe's today picking up some items on the list and one of those was 3M 8210plus dust masks. I buy them by the 20pack for around $20. I've got about 4 at the shop and 6 at the house so I'm not "out" yet but figured there might be a run on them and I was correct...

Asked the lady in paint where they were hiding and she proceeded to explain they were all sold out! And not to call Ace Hdwr as they were out also and had asked her to stop sending people there! According to her, they have ALL been commandeered by the gov't? WTF! She had a new sealed mask under the counter she gave me.

So anyhow, the panic-mongers and media have succeeded in decreasing safety for potentially millions of hard-working tradespersons in need of dust-protection. Do I think people will die in the US from CV? Maybe a few and those people probably would have died from the flu anyway...

So use those dust masks to the very end. And buy them if you see them. I use mine to sand Al and will usually not discard until they are on the greyish side (but still white inside).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8210plus.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	155020  

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
Lincoln Patriot autodark (freebie)
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Old 02-29-2020, 05:37 AM
SFT Historian

Some media stated the Masks are being shipped to China where they are needed.

Likely paid for by US tax money. that would be a guess.
Old 02-29-2020, 08:49 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

They are paid for by tax dollars, but they are being stockpiled to protect swamp snakes in Washington.

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 02-29-2020, 09:46 AM
Twice the size--half the man

I snapped a picture of the empty mask shelves at the local Home Depot back on Wednesday and shared it on the book of faces. I've got a 40-pack of some industrial grade (non-3m) masks I bought years ago whenever we were tearing out the fire damage on my mom's house. I labeled one for each of the kids, myself, and my mom. For the most part they're still all in the box.

LadyD and a couple others warned yesterday that bottled water supplies were also soon to be depleted. The CDC sent out some kind of notice asking all US residents to pick up enough to last 2 weeks, as well as ample supplies of canned/non-perishable foods. The idea is not that the disease will likely kill ya, but that you could be quarantined for up to 2 weeks inside your house if they suspect you've got the virus.

We sell bottled water at the gun range, about 2 cases a weekend when the weather's nice. I went into 'prepper' mode and bought 3 weeks worth to keep out there to hopefully last us through the shortage. The shelves were already starting to clear out by 1pm yesterday, and all LadyD's stores were asking about getting more shipped out.

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 02-29-2020, 10:52 AM
Master Procrastinator

There are other options.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Anti_Virus5848.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	155022  
In life it's important to know when to stop arguing with people and simply letting them be wrong.
Old 02-29-2020, 12:26 PM
Something's Fishy ...

That has already been hacked
Old 03-01-2020, 11:51 AM
Da Chief

I still think that we, as a nation, are going to prove much more resilient/resistant than most 3rd world and more populace countries on earth, simply because of diet/lifestyle and sanitation standards. Although I do feel that our open border states, sanctuary and crowded cities may take a major hit, caused by ignorance and non adaptability. Rural and farming areas are gonna be just fine. (those of us, living closer to the land are just naturally more resistant. don't panic, eat yer veggies and you'll be fine.)

Here in Paradise, we are dealing with a particularly severe strain of our yearly "snowbird crud" flu and common cold virus, brought to us each year by our Northern cousins, as they follow the sun and stay too long.

That being said, I long ago laid in a large supply of 3M paper filter masks to supplement my military grade, MK 5 and MK 19 masks and filter canisters.

Just one old farts opinion.

RED, in Paradise with my guns and a bible.

What I really need to know is, WHEN DOES THE SHOOTING START?
Old 03-01-2020, 01:28 PM
Elite Member

"open border states, sanctuary and crowded cities may take a major hit"

Sooo, win/win??!? ... Steve
Old 03-02-2020, 12:59 PM
Connoisseur of Old Iron

Locally, there has been no shortage of bottled water, masks are a different story, there has been a run on them. People are such sheep.
Dan.
Miller 10-E Wire Feeder
Miller Spectrum 2050 Plasma Cutter
Hobart AC/DC stick welder
Hobart 175 Mig
Craftsman O/A set
Turbo torch and B-tank
Old 03-02-2020, 04:30 PM

Like everything else, the time to stock up is when you don't need to stock up.