Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 02-28-2020, 09:36 PM
Auction Addict

Default Scott's Tractor

My son bought tractor a few weeks back. It came with a loader sitting on a flat bed trailer. PO says when ho bought the tractor the loader was not on the tractor, but it had been on the tractor that the guy he bought it from.

Now to mount the loader on the tractor. It did not come with any brackets. Studied the tractor and made some measurement, and found out the arms go under the tractor rear axle on the tractor and to the frame of the tractor.

Will need to get 4 grade 8 5/8" bolts and nuts to mount to the tractor frame. In order attache the loader arms to the rear axle will require four 3"x11"x1/2 plates with 5/8" holes on 8 1/2"" centers and four 11" long pieces of 5/8" all thread and associated nuts and lock washers.

Today cut out the 4 plates with the propane torch. Next to run them through the mill to clean up the torch marks and drill the holes. The torch cuts were pretty good for an old blind man.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200228_130253[1].jpg
Views:	131
Size:	204.7 KB
ID:	155018   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200228_130324[1].jpg
Views:	130
Size:	209.5 KB
ID:	155019  

Liberty has never come from Government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of governmental power, not the increase of it.
Woodrow Wilson
Old 02-28-2020, 10:12 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
My son bought tractor a few weeks back. It came with a loader sitting on a flat bed trailer. PO says when ho bought the tractor the loader was not on the tractor, but it had been on the tractor that the guy he bought it from.

Now to mount the loader on the tractor. It did not come with any brackets. Studied the tractor and made some measurement, and found out the arms go under the tractor rear axle on the tractor and to the frame of the tractor.

Will need to get 4 grade 8 5/8" bolts and nuts to mount to the tractor frame. In order attache the loader arms to the rear axle will require four 3"x11"x1/2 plates with 5/8" holes on 8 1/2"" centers and four 11" long pieces of 5/8" all thread and associated nuts and lock washers.

Today cut out the 4 plates with the propane torch. Next to run them through the mill to clean up the torch marks and drill the holes. The torch cuts were pretty good for an old blind man.
I see you are getting the hang of propane cutting. Nice and straight cuts.

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 02-28-2020, 10:19 PM
The Real Deal

I wouldn't bother with the mill
Old 02-28-2020, 11:15 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by digr View Post
I wouldn't bother with the mill
If it was for me, I would not done any milling. Mostly it was just an excuse, since I had not done any milling for the last 6 months, to use the mill. Now I have to clean up all the chips.

Liberty has never come from Government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of governmental power, not the increase of it.
Woodrow Wilson
Old 02-28-2020, 11:36 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
The more I use it the more I like propane. I did use my 2" angle iron guide that I always use for a long cut. Getting the torch adjusted now only takes 5-10 seconds. Preheat is about 25% longer but being retired time does not mean much to me. Even less the older I get.

Woodrow Wilson
Old 03-01-2020, 07:12 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
Curious I have never heard of such a process. Is it a mater of using available resources or is there an advantage of propane cutting over oxygen cutting?

A technologically advanced society would teach their children how to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together before teaching them how to use a lighter.

Aren't energy consumption and computers supposed to make life less stressful?

If you are not having fun then you are doing it wrong.
Old 03-01-2020, 07:50 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by threepiece View Post
Curious I have never heard of such a process. Is it a mater of using available resources or is there an advantage of propane cutting over oxygen cutting?

There are pros and cons with propane. Propane is cheaper to buy, and usually more easily available to refill.
Smaller tanks available. I remember when my dad was cutting scrap with propane, we would roughly use two 200 CF oxygen tanks to one 20lb propane tank. Was easier to move the propane tank around, and if you had to lay it over to transport, you did not have to set it upright for a day before cutting.

You should not lay an acetylene tank down because there is an liquid inside to help keep it stable. And you also can only remove so much acetylene in an hour. If you have a small tank, it might not supply enough gas for a bigger tip.

Some cons- takes a couple seconds longer to preheat before cutting.
And cannot be used to gas weld.
Do need special tips. But generally the tips are two piece, so they can be easily cleaned.
As mentioned by Gerry in another thread, you should have T rated hose. I can’t say that my dad ever verified that though.

I remember when I was a kid, my dad learned of a cutting torch that used gasoline. But alas, he never made an extra $500 to buy it. Supposed to have more BTUs than any other fuel. Never heard much more about them, so must not have caught on.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 03-01-2020, 07:54 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post

Nothing wrong with those cuts. I'd knock the edges off with a grinder and be on to the next task.

Quote:
Originally Posted by threepiece View Post
Still using oxy, just trading the fuel gas for propane instead of acetylene.

I believe in gun control.

Gun Control: The ability to consistently hit what you are aiming at.

Weldor by choice, engineer by necessity.

Last edited by arizonian; 03-01-2020 at 02:57 PM.
Old 03-01-2020, 11:24 AM

Those cuts look great. I'm not gonna show y'all what my last cuts looked like. A grinder is my friend.
Old 03-01-2020, 01:25 PM
Elite Member

"Curious I have never heard of such a process. Is it a mater of using available resources or is there an advantage of propane cutting over oxygen cutting?"

Am I the only one that caught the subtle semantics dig? ...Steve