Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 02-28-2020, 01:00 PM

Default Parting blade holder

We have a little lathe at work so we are picking up some tooling to do minor bushings and rollers etc.

The parting blade setup they wanted to sell us was overkill so I bought a few cheap HSS 5% Cobalt blades. I didn't like any of their cheap parting blade holders, so I made one. Given the effort, it was more about an excuse to fool around with the mill over saving work money.. Didn't really realize that the blades are tapered on 3 sides. I cut that little dovetail with a single point form tool I (crudely) ground from an old 1/8 npt tap. Worked surprisingly well for first try at something like that.

The tool height ended up being quite low. I was shooting for about .030 low but its probably closer to .100 below centre.

Fixed for upright photos, probably out of order now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200228_094011.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	199.6 KB
ID:	155014   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200228_093840.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	188.9 KB
ID:	155015   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	155016   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	155017  

Last edited by KevinF; 02-28-2020 at 01:10 PM.
Old 02-28-2020, 01:42 PM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinF View Post
The tool height ended up being quite low. I was shooting for about .030 low but its probably closer to .100 below centre.
Ditch the turret, too much screwing around with shims for height.

Many, Many years ago, people smarter than me,
fixed the problem with the quick change tool post, Aloris, Mulitfix, etc.

Simply turn the knurled nut, to adjust the tool right to center as needed.
Old 02-28-2020, 03:42 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Nice. Glad you are enjoying that mill.
And yeah, for a couple hundred you can get a QC toolpost. Years ago, I built a turret because it was light years ahead of the Lantern style POS.
But when they invented the quick change post, I scrapped that turret in about 10 minutes.

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 02-28-2020, 04:12 PM

QCTP probably won't happen on this machine. It sits unused but for a couple times a year.
Old 02-28-2020, 04:52 PM
SFT Historian

Quote:
It should be on center or 0.005 above.
if it is below the part will try to roll over the top of the tool and then pull it into the part,
say you have 0.010 of back-lash or "more" in your cross-slide the rollover will pull in all the back-lash at once and you will snap the tool.
Old 02-28-2020, 06:17 PM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

Quote:
QCTP probably won't happen on this machine. It sits unused but for a couple times a year.
AXA wedge type set from shars/cdco is what ? $100 Canuck coins $125 ?
Old 03-02-2020, 09:44 AM

It doesn't really matter. I did a thing that I was proud of and shared. It will hopefully work for its intended purpose. I am aware of the benefits of a qctp holder but it is not in the cards for this machine which might turn a puck from plastic or a small bushing once per year.
Old 03-02-2020, 10:19 AM
Administrator

Quote:
It doesn't really matter. I did a thing that I was proud of and shared. It will hopefully work for its intended purpose. I am aware of the benefits of a qctp holder but it is not in the cards for this machine which might turn a puck from plastic or a small bushing once per year.

Nice job. And I get you at the part of not buying anything for it. But, if it was easier to use. Would it get used more? Sometimes I find that is the case. But then again, it is hard sometimes for the company to spend money. I get that.

There are a lot of things that I wish I could have at work, and for the most part they have been pretty open to buying more tools if I request them. But, I don’t just ask at everything I see. I wait for several months, or have to have a need for it so many times before I ask.

I had asked for a digital bore guage about two months ago, and the bosses discussed it. I seen one on sale in a KBC catalog and asked if they were considering it, and they came back with the story we got along without it for 25 years now, why get it. Then Forman asked if I would be willing to go half on it, and if it proved useful they would pay me later. I brought the money in the next day. Later he came back and handed me the money back and said if I was willing to spend my own money, I must be really serious that it would be productive for us.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 03-02-2020, 01:15 PM

I work in materials (soil, concrete, asphalt, waste rock etc) testing lab and we outsource 99% of anything that requires machining. That isn't likely to change because I have to spend my time doing engineer things more than machinist things. No one else in the building will touch it (which is a good thing).
Old 03-02-2020, 07:35 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Sorry I brought up the QC. The job you did was fine.
I was using my cutoff blade today and noted that the top is angled to each side from the center spine of the blade. The holder has a little slot like a shallow keyway for the ridge of the blade to be captured in.
There are probably more than one style.
Your holder looks rigid and that's what it is about, to save blade breakage and chatter.

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson