Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 02-19-2020, 06:47 PM

Default Black Stallion 850 Elkskin Stick Glove with Nomex Lined Back

I got a pair of the Black Stallion 850 Nomex lined gloves for use in the adult ed welding class I'm taking and when I wear them I get the same sensation you get when you get fiberglass poking your skin like tiny needles.

My local welding shop swapped them out today for another brand new pair, and even though they felt fine in their store, the minute I actually started using them (handling metal, picking up the electrode holder, etc.) the same sensation started again as if I had been handling fiberglass with my bare hands.

My local welding shop called their distributor to see if anyone else had ever complained, but they've never heard of anyone having this issue. They wonder if I have an allergy to Nomex or wool, but I don't get any red splotches or anything on my hands, no visible signs of any issues at all.

The damn sensation sticks with me for 36-48 hours though, even after multiple hand washings.

Any thoughts?

http://www.blackstallion.com/product...50-detail.html
Old 02-19-2020, 07:54 PM
The Real Deal

Get a pair of plain leather gloves
Old 02-19-2020, 08:49 PM
Administrator

Default Black Stallion 850 Elkskin Stick Glove with Nomex Lined Back

Some sort of allergic reaction, I presume. Even though no visible signs. Try some lotion to help get rid of the irritation?

And stop using those gloves.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 02-19-2020, 10:17 PM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

Quote:
Originally Posted by digr View Post
Get a pair of plain leather gloves
Yeah, I can't believe the amount of money that people waste on all these mystery fabric high-fangled gloves. Plain old leather will do just fine.

And what people wear gloves for. Seems like everybody is afraid to get their hands dirty these days. Try and find an auto "technician" who works with bare hands--they all want to wear surgical gloves. How the Hell can they feel what they're working on--it's like wearin' a condom when you have sex...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 02-20-2020, 12:56 AM
I can dig it

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKeithR View Post
Yeah, I can't believe the amount of money that people waste on all these mystery fabric high-fangled gloves. Plain old leather will do just fine.

And what people wear gloves for. Seems like everybody is afraid to get their hands dirty these days. Try and find an auto "technician" who works with bare hands--they all want to wear surgical gloves. How the Hell can they feel what they're working on--it's like wearin' a condom when you have sex...

One thing that drives me nuts on all the oil sites. Gloves are a ‘must’ for almost everything. Also add to that kevlar wrist protectirs at a lot of them too.

Some sites get caught without them and you’ll be headed home. It’s a major PITA for me.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Old 02-20-2020, 06:05 AM
Director of Languages

Ah you know, skin cancer*, cut protection, not looking like shit for a week after you last worked on something.

* it does actually happen outside california too

Like so many things, when you come up wearing them it's a whole lot easier, but also the technology has come on in leaps and bounds in the last few years.

There are jobs where you shouldnt wear gloves for safety reasons, machining and the like with spinning objects but for most other things they're pretty good these days.

a good pair of rubber gloves gives 99.9% of the dexterity of fingers (and probably better dexterity than fingers where the skin is leathered from never wearing gloves) but for me the real winners are the modern rubberised woven gloves.

I wear these doing most general jobs https://www.atg-glovesolutions.com/en/maxiflex and I would rarely need to take them off for more control, plus they fit inside a pair of welding gauntlets for most situations so I'm not changing gloves all the time either.

for working on cars I wear these https://www.milkers-gloves.com/products.html#standard. Wear them in a size smaller than the box says and they fit like a second skin, when they're tight they are much less likely to snag on stuff.

But that said, I am only a year off being a millenial so clearly I'm soft
Old 02-20-2020, 10:42 AM
Voice of Experience

Quote:

Right on...

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will
be a nation gone under". ~Ronald Reagan

We should have picked our own cotton...

I love my women hot and my beer ice cold..
Old 02-20-2020, 12:00 PM
Blast this!

When a volunteer fire fighter the Nomex hood used to irritate the face . It was not on the do not do list ,so kept it washed with a fabric softener .It helped. May try spraying the inside with a mix with water .
Old 02-20-2020, 03:47 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Yeah, I can't believe the amount of money that people waste on all these mystery fabric high-fangled gloves. Plain old leather will do just fine....
Indeed, I find it amazing that after seeing failed products and associated lawsuits on a regular basis that so many people are so eager to try the latest feel good or look good product. There is usually a cost to going against nature even if it isn’t at first obvious.

I only wear gloves when handling bad chemicals or playing with my dog. There is a cost to this as well, if I happen to go blind I won’t be able to read braille.

A technologically advanced society would teach their children how to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together before teaching them how to use a lighter.

Aren't energy consumption and computers supposed to make life less stressful?

If you are not having fun then you are doing it wrong.