Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 02-20-2020, 09:46 AM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by threepiece View Post
Toe clamping the steel block to the table would have been prudent. I failed to sufficiently tighten the indexing fixture, the result was a wondering off of the slot I was cutting.
Just a small bump in the road.

Liberty has never come from Government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of governmental power, not the increase of it.
Woodrow Wilson
Old 02-20-2020, 10:44 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Just a small bump in the road.
I suppose when compared to the sink hole and the few pot holes I have encountered on this project.

I blame a combination of mission creep, overconfidence and laziness for the mishaps and subsequent delays with this project. Thinking I could pull this off without drawing it up first was a mistake. Not described in this thread is the embarrassing amount of hours I have spent sitting in a chair staring at this thing. Erasing a few pencil lines is always easier, faster and cheaper than grinding off and rewelding.

A technologically advanced society would teach their children how to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together before teaching them how to use a lighter.

Aren't energy consumption and computers supposed to make life less stressful?

If you are not having fun then you are doing it wrong.

Last edited by threepiece; 02-20-2020 at 10:49 AM.
Old 02-20-2020, 11:29 AM
Auction Addict

Quote:
I suppose when compared to the sink hole and the few pot holes I have encountered on this project.

I blame a combination of mission creep, overconfidence and laziness for the mishaps and subsequent delays with this project. Thinking I could pull this off without drawing it up first was a mistake. Not described in this thread is the embarrassing amount of hours I have spent sitting in a chair staring at this thing. Erasing a few pencil lines is always easier, faster and cheaper than grinding off and rewelding.
I usually do not draw things up either. Sometimes I pay for that too.

Liberty has never come from Government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of governmental power, not the increase of it.
Woodrow Wilson
Old 02-20-2020, 06:42 PM
Elite Member

Quote:

I was confused when I placed this post. I was actually referring to the dump contraption that this winch is to be used for. Modifying this winch was a breeze even without a drawing compared to the rest of the project.

I am actually having more trouble developing a mounting structure for it. Again, without a drawing it has taken me three evenings of staring just to commit to a design.

A technologically advanced society would teach their children how to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together before teaching them how to use a lighter.

Old 02-20-2020, 06:54 PM
Elite Member

This is where I’m currently at. I have not completely assembled the winch to ease the handling while I design and make the mounting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	74D37453-4A92-4913-A5B7-6E9534261EF1.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	202.7 KB
ID:	154871  

Old 02-23-2020, 03:53 AM
Elite Member

Sure is cute now! How many feet of cable will it hold?
Old 02-27-2020, 11:17 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpyrobb View Post
Sure is cute now! How many feet of cable will it hold?
I did calculate the amount but I don’t remember exactly what I determined, I think it was 52 feet of 5/16” diameter. I only need about 9 feet to operate the dump and I considered making a single row spool that would only hold a few feet but the winch would then be useless for any other task. With 40 feet I could use it for other tasks like trailer loading.

Old 02-27-2020, 11:29 AM
Elite Member

Default Ramsey Worm Winch Modification

This is the mounting structure I made. It is two separate pieces, the top piece bearing most of the load. I wanted to make it as light as possible to ease removal and installation. With the rope installed it will weigh about 90 lbs.

The bottom section acts as a shelf to hold the unit in place while the top section is being secured. The gussets on the top section also act as grab handles. Four 1/2” screws loaded in shear secure the top to the mast.

The picture is upside down.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	E1F3F400-63F8-45A8-8280-0EBB9DA6A807.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	200.2 KB
ID:	154971  

Last edited by toprecycler; 02-27-2020 at 12:19 PM.
Old 02-27-2020, 12:18 PM
Administrator

Please bear with me as I try to rotate the pictures. Something changed on my iphone, so the pictures are not rotating like they used to. Have to find the workaround process.

Name:	Adjustments.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	194.1 KB
ID:	154973

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden