Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 02-09-2020, 02:09 PM
Made From Scratch

Here are some pics, sorry to leave you guys hanging. I appreciate all the info so far.

The lathe is a DELTA Iron Bed 1440

The pulley that broke is the one from the motor shaft, and there wasn't much left of it for me to really see how it works.

The driven pulley on the lathe shaft has 2 halves that mate to each other via a bunch of slots. When you push the adjustment lever on the lathe, the 2 plates move closer together or farther apart which results in the diameter of the pulley changing where the belt rides.

I don't know why the motor shaft as the corkscrew cut into it, as it also has a full length keyway. In any case, I think the motor has a lot of drag when you turn it by hand, and there is just a bit of squeel even turning it by hand. I think the motor is probably near death and after taking the motor apart on his delta jointer, I would not be optimistic that this motor can be repaired easily.

I am leaning towards putting a VFD and new motor on with a fixed pulley, and leaving the adjustable pulley on the lathe, but taking the adjustment handle off. Without taking the lathe shaft apart to know if that is a sleeve or how big the pulley bore is, it doesn't look like I could easily get a fixed pulley that would fit on it, but I don't see any reason why the one that is there would go bad if you left it locked it down in one spot. As you can see they didn't do much to protect the mechanism from filling with dirt and sawdust so I'm surprised that those style pulley would be going bad.

The current motor is only 3/4 horse power so I would think a 1hp replacement and matching VFD would actually be somewhat of an upgrade. Have to show my dad some options and see what he wants to do with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lathe001-DSCF2037.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	193.0 KB
ID:	154720   Click image for larger version

Name:	lathe002-DSCF2038.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	154721   Click image for larger version

Name:	lathe004-DSCF2040.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	200.8 KB
ID:	154722   Click image for larger version

Name:	lathe005-DSCF2041.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	165.5 KB
ID:	154723   Click image for larger version

Name:	lathe007-DSCF2043.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	154724  

Old 02-09-2020, 08:22 PM

From what I recall they motor is de-rated a bit running thru the VFD. My drill press ran a 3/4 and it was recommended to use a 1hp on it.
Old 02-09-2020, 10:01 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip knot View Post
From what I recall they motor is de-rated a bit running thru the VFD. My drill press ran a 3/4 and it was recommended to use a 1hp on it.
You are correct. A 30% increase is about right.

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 02-09-2020, 11:36 PM
Made From Scratch

Good to know. The only other time I've dealt with a VFD was on a 16hp CNC router and I was taking an old one off and putting the replacement on. I wasn't aware of the loss, but it does make sense that it would work that way.
Old 02-10-2020, 06:00 AM
SFT Historian

https://www.finewoodworking.com/foru...15-lathe-parts
Old 02-12-2020, 06:48 PM
Made From Scratch

I sent my dad the info all of you guys posted here and told him I would lean towards the VFD route, or the variable speed kit from pen state industries.I was not able to find any options you guys didn't.
I'll let you know what he decides to go with. It may be a month or two though