Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 02-06-2020, 07:17 PM
Made From Scratch

Default Options for a motor with speed control on a wood lathe?

My dad has a Delta 1440 wood lathe and it is belt driven with a variable geometry pulley to adjust the speed. The cone shaped pulley grenaded in spectacular fashion last weekend and he just told me that nobody sells replacement parts and that every place he calls is telling him he has a nice gray boat anchor now.

I told home I was pretty sure I could change it over to a direct drive, or single speed belt, and then put a variable speed motor on it and it would be cheaper than buying a whole new lathe. He's not convinced yet, and I'm not sure if he wants a new lathe or just doesn't want to mess with this one but I figure I should look into it further.

I believe it currently has a 1 horsepower motor on it and the motor itself is fine. I was thinking about replacing that motor with a 3 phase motor and a VFD, are there any other options?

I still need to look at the lathe and make sure none of the shafts got destroyed and that I can in fact put a new fixed pulley on it also.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:08 PM
Stuff, Just stuff

When you get a look at it post up a picture or five and let’s see what ya got.

I’d be interested to see what kind of variable speed drive Came apart.

Treadmill motor and drive maybe.

VFD and 3 phase motor that small is a good choice.

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Old 02-06-2020, 09:21 PM
Made From Scratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotts View Post
When you get a look at it post up a picture or five and let’s see what ya got.

I’d be interested to see what kind of variable speed drive Came apart.

Treadmill motor and drive maybe.

VFD and 3 phase motor that small is a good choice.

Scott

I will see if I can find the parts. He handed me a ziplock bag full of metal shards a couple days ago before he started his search for a replacement so I am not sure what is left to get pics of but I will try.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:33 PM
Stuff, Just stuff

Found this and the pulley on Amazon

Gheard
May 13, 2013 04:52pm
lennelson wrote:

I too had a pulley shatter. After exhausting all the Delta sites, I found a replacement pulley. It is manufactured by Lovejoy. The part is a Econoline 4007. It went on hard since the motor shaft seemed a bit over=sized. I mounted it with the spring away from the motor. I just got it installed, but must say it is much quieter than the old pulley which had become warped. The cost of the pulley was #136.00 pluis tax and shipping, but since my lathe was useless without it, I felt it was worthwhile.

Lennelson,

How is the Lovejoy Pulley holding up on hte Delta? are you able to get all the speeds? Is it quieter and less vibration free then the original pulley?

lennelson wrote:

I too had a pulley shatter. After exhausting all the Delta sites, I found a replacement pulley. It is manufactured by Lovejoy. The part is a Econoline 4007. It went on hard since the motor shaft seemed a bit over=sized. I mounted it with the spring away from the motor. I just got it installed, but must say it is much quieter than the old pulley which had become warped. The cost of the pulley was #136.00 pluis tax and shipping, but since my lathe was useless without it, I felt it was worthwhile.

Scott

Old 02-06-2020, 09:50 PM
Stuff, Just stuff

https://www.lovejoy-inc.com/wp-conte...vspinstall.pdf

Here is a page on setting up these drives. I’m on the phone and it’s a bit hard for me to see all this.

Scott

Old 02-06-2020, 11:04 PM
Auction Addict

Could you replace with two 4 step fixed pulleys? Is there room for that?

Liberty has never come from Government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of governmental power, not the increase of it.
Woodrow Wilson
Old 02-07-2020, 05:39 PM
Made From Scratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Could you replace with two 4 step fixed pulleys? Is there room for that?
The motor hangs behind the lathe and the speed changing is all done inside a box that houses the head/chuck. I have step pulleys on my belt grinder and that seems like a simple fix but I think I'd have to add a 2nd shaft inside the box since you can't change where the belt goes in and out.

That is from memory though. I will try to get a look at the lathe tomorrow morning and grab some pics.

Honestly I'm pretty disappointed in Delta. This thing is at most 15 years old and didn't even get used once a week. It's a cast iron bed lathe with a 14" swing and 40 inch bed, it shouldn't be worn out and obsolete already.
Old 02-07-2020, 05:44 PM
Elite Member

If you are still in need check youtube for tread mill motor conversions
I have done one on my drill press and am collecting the parts for my wood lathe.
Old 02-07-2020, 08:53 PM

I put a small VFD and 1hp motor on a drill press a while back.

https://dealerselectric.com/Sub-Cate...&GdPageSize=20

They've gone up a bit since my project IIRC I paid @$200 but it looks >$300 now.
Old 02-07-2020, 09:19 PM
Elite Member

Matt, don't know what Delta lathe your dad has, but have put one of these on a midi lathe at the school. It is from PennStateIndustries.com

https://www.pennstateind.com/store/TCLVSKIT2.html

It is a 3/4 Horse. Didn't know if this would be any benefit or not.

Also have bought parts for the school wood lathes from E replacement. I put in Delta wood lathes and came up with this: https://www.ereplacementparts.com/se...he+step+pulley

Find the model number and then click on that one, schematic with parts and numbers are provided. If nothing else, can give you sizes to find it elsewhere cheaper.

Hope this helps.