Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 12-30-2011, 07:20 PM
Elite Member

Default Wet Table for Plasma Cutting

Can anyone point me to a link on here that shows plans for making a plasma cutting table (non-CNC) that can hold about an inch of water to keep the sparks down. I could have sworn that it was someone on this site that came up with this little beauty. It also is made so you can replace the sheet metal slats after they get too butchered........I have tried the search using about every key word I can think of but .......nothing...........thanks.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:55 PM

Pat,
I can't point you to the link but, all you'd need is a pan to hold the water, coupled with some slats to hold the material.
2" X 1/8" would be just about right, similar to what I have on my CNC table.
It wouldn't be hard to make and, wouldn't hurt to put a drain tap on the bottom either.....just size it to suit whatever material you cut on a regular basis.
I've posted a pic of my slats and a pdf of a design....hope it helps.

Mick.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	grates.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	85927  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Plasma water table.pdf (1.2 KB, 404 views)
Old 01-02-2012, 01:18 AM
Armchair Webbie

I have a thought. Look out, this could be dangerous! If you could get your hands on an old metal topped workbench, you know, the industrial ones with the steel legs and usually, places for electrical outlets. Flip the top over, re-attach the legs and close up the ends or any other holes.

This would make a nice pan to hold the water and be realatively easy to fab especially, if you don't have access to a big brake. Fab up the slats and away you go.

Those benches are always showing up at industrial and sadly, school auctions, when they decide to do away with their industrial arts programs. That's how I got one.

Dave
Old 01-02-2012, 08:19 AM
Why, Hell Yes!

i don't have a wet table,but i did build a cutting table out of a John Deere shipping crate,the metal one.
I put angle iron across the top,angle up,and i built a sheet metal range hood looking thing,that i mounted upside down under the table.
All of the sparks and small parts fall into the upside down range hood and fall to the floor.
I built it to keep the sparks out of my shoes,mostly.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:57 AM
Standard of Excellence

Take a look over at CNCZONE.com , there are quite a few builds in the plsma section.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:10 AM
I fear I'll do some damage one fine day

Default Wet Plasma Table

Pat when I first read the title to your thread, I thought you were going to talk about those high powered CNC plasma cutting tables that have the plasma arc and the work submerged in water.

I believe that the problems and safety concerns might outweigh the advantages of a water table. I have been using a table I built around a piece of catwalk grate that Cutter was kind enough to ship to me.

It is fitted loosely in a deep metal box and aligned so that it is level with my welding table. I made the box deep enough so that the sparks can cool before they hit the thin metal bottom. To clean it, I simply lift out the grate and vacuum out the box.

Of course I could fab a metal pan to hold water,or simply use a cookie sheet from the baking supplies section of the supermarket.

I believe that it would create problems because the slag would now be wet an messy to get rid of instead of being easily vacuumed out.

Just my $0.02

Happy New Year

DrBob

Last edited by DrBob; 01-02-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:14 PM
Standard of Excellence

Hey Doc, the water table is supposed to be 'The' thing for combating smoke from the plasma cutter. It sits just below the slats and catches the parks and the hot ironoxide plasma (?).
Pat, I think however you could form a 3"deep pam amd hold it under your table would work. Drain valve would be a plus. I have also heard of guys using a machine coolant in them to help retard the rust.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:19 AM
Elite Member

Sorry for the delay. Other than checking in from time to time I have been busy installing a new sump pump and trying to conjure something up to keep all the lint and stuff from the washing machine from getting in the pump, and also covering the ground where it emptys......(use only eco-safe detergents)....still in search of a filter better than an old sock that won't plug so easy...............anyway's

Looks like a bunch of very good ideas on the plasma cutting table. On my next days off I will have to get going on something........thanks.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:16 AM

I copied this one,using an oval shaped wash tub...........https://www.911motorsports.net/Plasm...ters_p_29.html
Old 02-17-2020, 09:32 AM
Elite Member

The water helps trap the dust associated with the cutting that gets on everything in the shop.