Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 10-13-2019, 06:27 PM

Before I went ahead and unloaded the ballast from the bed, I wanted to start toying with how I could possibly add an outrigger in the future.

I had originally used 2" square tubing with a 1/4" wall when I added the original reinforcement for the crane under the old rusty truck bed. I still had those pieces of tubing handy, so I went ahead and slid them right inside the larger square tubing that the dealership used for their reinforcement.

As a quick proof of concept, I just supported my 2" tubing with some old 4x6 posts and a floor jack before I went to unload the ballast.

This temporary proof of concept setup was rock-solid and realistically I think if I even just used one piece of tubing and some kind of swing-down jack would be more than sufficient.

Although I may not find the time to actually build any kind of outrigger system anytime soon, I'd love to hear any suggestions any of you may have.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191013_174325.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	192.1 KB
ID:	152538   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191013_174344.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	152539   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191013_174602.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	189.4 KB
ID:	152540   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191013_174728.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	191.5 KB
ID:	152541  
Old 10-13-2019, 06:30 PM

The tethered remote control for the winch easily unplugs and will be stored in the glove box of the truck.

The power cable unplugs from the winch too and for now I'm going to keep in unplugged to both protect it and keep it from being messed with while I'm parked in parking lots, etc.

It slides nicely right inside one of the reinforcing tubes under the bed. I'd really like to get a pair of male and female dummy plugs, that I can plug into both the winch and the power lead when not in use to keep them from becoming corroded.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20191013_175400.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	152542  
Old 10-13-2019, 09:16 PM
no bull it's huge!

Looks like a nice setup. The only issue I see with some outriggers is they pin into place with no way to release the weight when the suspension squats too much. I used side crank jacks for my truck, they also let you level the truck before lifting to some extent.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Old 10-14-2019, 01:18 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Although I may not find the time to actually build any kind of outrigger system anytime soon, I'd love to hear any suggestions any of you may have.
I've been following Essential Craftsman for some time. He did an episode on his Tool Tank, what he calls his work truck. You may find some inspiration on his crane and outrigger, starts about the 8:00 mark.

I believe in gun control.

Gun Control: The ability to consistently hit what you are aiming at.

Weldor by choice, engineer by necessity.
Old 10-14-2019, 09:14 AM

Looks like the bed company did a great job fabricating the crane support!

The only question I have on that... did they put steel spacers between the steel underneath up to the aluminum bed? It looks like that is an extrusion, so there is space between the top flat surface of the bed, and to the steel plate in spots. I would use steel spacers so that the aluminum extrusion doesn't get compressed by the top plate of the crane over time.

I'd definitely make some simple outriggers, especially for the side the crane is on. I'd get some steel tubes that slide in with minimal gap and go into both tubes, then connect them with a cross tube, and then weld on a swing down trailer jack. The whole thing would be removable, so you'd only have to use it if you're lifting something heavy.

The electric winch you put on there looks like a great upgrade as well. That should be a pretty useful setup on that truck!
Old 02-24-2020, 11:38 PM

I got started on the conceptual drawings for the outriggers today. I'm trying to incorporate a step into the design as well, to help me climb up onto the flatbed.

The thinking so far is to have 2" square tubing that slides into the existing 3" square tubing. Other than coming up with a way to ensure the whole outrigger assembly doesn't rattle around when driving, there should be no need to have an extremely tight fit inside the 3" square tubing.

There will be three pieces of 2" tubing that will be spaced equally, so the assembly can be pulled out, rotated 90 degrees, and slid back in.

I believe I'm going to go with a Bulldog 5K Square Tubular Steel Square Jack, part #195362, model SWL 195 DTSXFQ. Instead of the typical weldable round tube mount, this one has a 2" square weldable mount.

In addition to rotating the 2" square tubing assembly, I will also have to rotate the jack 180 degrees to get the foot of the jack further away from the rear tire when stowed.

I need to double-check all my depth dimensions in the next few days, but if those all work out, the only potential issue I may have is with the orientation of the foot of the jack itself. As you can see in the attached photo showing the jack in the stowed position, the foot of the jack be higher up than the bottom edge of the side rail on the bed.

If the telescoping portion of the jack can't be removed and reinserted 90-degrees of the factory position, I'll likely just cut the foot off and reweld it on in the position I'd prefer it be in.

With the 2" square tubing assembly in either position, to allow the jack to be down or stowed, I should have a fairly accessible step right above the muffler and I can hold on to the crane itself as a hand-hold.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Outrigger Down.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	154957   Click image for larger version

Name:	Outrigger Stowed.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	154958  
Old 02-25-2020, 10:42 AM
Voice of Experience

I have a Western Mule bumper crane that I will part with for a reasonable price.Down side....too heavy to ship..it is 80 inches long and the 1500 lb crane folds into bumper..Bumper has class 3 receiver. Condition is like new..Used three times before truck was T boned...

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will
be a nation gone under". ~Ronald Reagan

We should have picked our own cotton...

I love my women hot and my beer ice cold..