Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 02-14-2020, 09:36 PM
Elite Member

Default Fuji Electric Motor Brake with Smoke

I got two of these gear motors from the scrap yard recently. Although the motors run smoothly I noticed smoke exuding from the rear where the brake unit is after running for about one minute. It also got quite hot in that area only. I tried the other motor and noticed heat building up the same after about 30 seconds so I disconnected it.

I tried to remove the fan shroud (TEFC) that is covering the brake area but there are two pins protruding through the cover that rotate about 90 degrees preventing it from coming off. The pins had a wire rod connecting them together and a retaining clip to keep the assembly secure.

Can someone shed some light on this? I don’t think I will be wanting the brake, can I disconnect it so it doesn’t smoke? How can I remove the shroud?

Thank you all for any help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8AFE475D-A30E-407C-B361-D4F6930FCBA1.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	197.3 KB
ID:	154806  

A technologically advanced society would teach their children how to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together before teaching them how to use a lighter.

Aren't energy consumption and computers supposed to make life less stressful?

If you are not having fun then you are doing it wrong.
Old 02-14-2020, 09:51 PM
Auction Addict

Expect the brake function is on when power is off. Must not be getting power or is burnt out. Have no idea as to disassembly.

Liberty has never come from Government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of governmental power, not the increase of it.
Woodrow Wilson
Old 02-15-2020, 10:44 AM
Stuff, Just stuff

I have not had hands on with this particular type, however most have a way to manually disengage the brake so you can turn the motor with no power on.

On the picture you attached it shows the wire bail turned to disengage the brake. There is a protrusion sticking out the outer circumference of the brake in the picture, I have a feeling that the wire needs to go back in place and flip it over to disengage the brake, tie it up and the brake should be held in the off position.

Also there is a gap specification for clearance on the friction elements, there is probably an access hole to adjust this, just open it up all the way and you should be good to go.

The brake may have a setscrew on the shaft holding it to the motor shaft.

The coils on the brakes are all over the place as far as voltage, ac or dc ya never know without the book.

Scott
Old 02-15-2020, 03:24 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotts View Post
There is a protrusion sticking out the outer circumference of the brake in the picture, I have a feeling that the wire needs to go back in place and flip it over to disengage the brake, tie it up and the brake should be held in the off position.

Scott
Yes, you are right. I reinstalled the wire/rod, flipped it up and tried running it again. This time there was no smoke or heat.

I’ll post another picture later.

A technologically advanced society would teach their children how to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together before teaching them how to use a lighter.

Old 02-15-2020, 08:58 PM
Elite Member

Default Fuji Electric Motor Brake with Smoke

Quote:

Also there is a gap specification for clearance on the friction elements, there is probably an access hole to adjust this, just open it up all the way and you should be good to go.

Scott

I found an access hole under two rubber plugs. Looking in I can see the friction plates but no means to adjust. I can clearly see movement in the plates when the control arm is moved.

The ratio of the gear box is 30:1 but I can still manage to turn it by hand with the brake arm up/released, I cannot with the brake lever down.

Thanks a bunch!

Attachment 154816
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8AC27936-AC2F-4AE4-A5CB-9B34DE0C6E7D.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	201.8 KB
ID:	154815  
Attached Images

Last edited by toprecycler; 02-16-2020 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Add Rotated Pic
Old 02-15-2020, 09:01 PM
Administrator

Nice find. What are you going to power with them?

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 02-15-2020, 10:12 PM
Stuff, Just stuff

You’re welcome

I did not find a manual for the brake to see how it all come off or gets installed. I did not get to find good info on Fuji website.

Those shafts look like they have to come out to get the cover off.

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Old 02-15-2020, 11:14 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toprecycler View Post
Nice find. What are you going to power with them?

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk
I will be needing help processing firewood soon enough. A splitter is in my thoughts but I have a different plan for this gear motor.

Wood that is too small to stay in place when a chainsaw is applied is troublesome to me. I wish to make a shear or lopper to cut wood up to 4” diameter.

Old 02-15-2020, 11:19 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
You’re welcome

I did not find a manual for the brake to see how it all come off or gets installed. I did not get to find good info on Fuji website.

Those shafts look like they have to come out to get the cover off.

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Thanks again for your effort but I don’t see a need to consider this further. I will simply secure the arm up and run it. I’m concerned that I may find the brake is somehow integrated with the cooling system and should not be removed so no need to take the shroud off.