Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 01-23-2020, 09:00 PM
Post Fiend

Question Delta Scald-Guard Shower/Tub Control Replacement and Question...

So the shower is only dribbling warm water at the very highest setting. OK, let's replace the cartridge of this Delta unit. It's been about 15yrs. My favorite/local Ace Hdwr had one in stock among other needed items.

So any gorilla can twist the tubes off of a shower/tub valve with a pipe wrench trying to replace the hot/cold mix cartridge. Not this gorilla... Needed to heat the ring holding the cartridge in. The little butane crack torch with tiny pinpoint flame wasn't going to do it--needed to use a propane torch with bigger flame...

In the hole you can see blown-in insulation that has dropped down the vent pipe hole in the framing over the years. It is supposedly "flame-resistant" but I did not want to test it. Not looking to set the house alight, I crafted a heat shield out of a HWH electrical panel cover from a heater replaced a couple years ago. It was PERFECT as it already had the curved cutout from the HWH piping. Snipped a strip off for the bottom and popped a couple holes with the good ol' 75yo Whitney #5 punch to match the screw holes that were ALREADY in place from the HWH. A couple #12s to tie it together. Worked like a charm! Embellishment added to pic #3 (the smile ). I was successful in melting the old cartridge to the point of no return...

Leading up to my question, and referring to the red arrows in pic #1, those are screws/stops to allow cartridge replacement without having to turn off the water. I turned off water to the house because the screws/stops are not going to budge without heat. BUT even with the new cartridge, the no hot water issue STILL exists! Hot water from an adjacent sink flows nice and hot. While not apparent, the hot water stop screw is IN a little more than the cold water screw.

My theory is that a chunk of whatever has lodged into the restricted orifice of the stop. We have hard water here so who knows what could be in there... I removed the freshly installed cartridge and tried back-blowing with compressed air through the partially open stop to see if I could dislodge an obstruction. 1/2" copper pipe, BTW.

Question: what is inside the stops? What does it look like? It is a Delta Scald Guard fixture. I want to at least get the stop out to take a look at it before I go crazy replacing fixtures...

As an aside, I've prepped the wife for the possibility of the back wall (a hallway) having to be cut open to put a new fixture in. A 6' long wall, I can see a piece of wainscot hiding the sin. "But the internet only told me I need a 14" square hole!" Yeah, good luck with that...

PS: I cleaned the cartridge hole and fixture outside with some Scotchbrite and lubed the threads with Vaseline. No Brasso was used in the making of this repair . I thought I took a pic of the completed assembly but i guess not...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scald1.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	154263   Click image for larger version

Name:	scald2.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	154264   Click image for larger version

Name:	scald3.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	177.3 KB
ID:	154265  

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
Lincoln Patriot autodark (freebie)
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...

Last edited by mccutter; 01-23-2020 at 09:44 PM.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:23 PM
The Real Deal

Did you back off the jam nut?
Old 01-23-2020, 10:02 PM
Master Procrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccutter View Post
It is a Delta Scald Guard fixture.
It IS working.

I plumbed my entire house....about 48 years ago. When it comes to repairs, I call my son (the plumber). He makes it look easy & cheap to me.
In life it's important to know when to stop arguing with people and simply letting them be wrong.
Old 01-23-2020, 10:10 PM
I can dig it

There are retro units that can be installed from the front, they have an extra large bezel/cover to give a reasonable sized hole to work in.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Old 01-23-2020, 10:10 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by digr View Post
Did you back off the jam nut?
I'll try tomorrow. Thanks! But as mentioned, everything is TIGHT!

MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart 250ci plasma
Old 01-24-2020, 10:08 AM
Twice the size--half the man

Turn the water back on without the cartridge installed and see what ya get? Are you sure the 'new' cartridge is oriented the same as the old one? I had one that was 180° once and wouldn't work but the salesman promised me it was identical--two extra trips to the store finally figured that out.

It's been a half dozen years or so since I tore into one of those valves. I think I finally threw the old one in the dumpster last summer after holding onto it with the intention of taking it to the scrapper. I guess I never really read the manual on the thing as to the secondary valves before the cartridge. Our water rots through the metal before the rubbers go bad inside so when it gives ya fits you're gonna end up tearing out the wall anyway.

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 01-24-2020, 11:13 PM
Post Fiend

Smile Success!

So I pulled the hot water stop out. Came apart easier than expected! Not the best pic but it shows a thin "chunk/flap" of black rubber blocking the hole from the pipe to the mixer. Where it came from, I haven't a clue... Maybe from the HWH? Or some other device added over the 40years the plumbing has been in place.

Didn't mess with the cold water stop--if it ain't broke, I ain't fixin' it!

Took the stop apart and cleaned and lubed it as well as the hole. Typical stop with gland and seals.

You can see the orifices from the pipe and to the mixer in the pic. Initial pressure test once reinstalled showed no leaks. I'll remove the escutcheon/knob and check for leakage tomorrow--3 screws, NBD... I replaced the rotted 10-24 knob screw with a SS version from Ace. Cost $.30.

I want to point out that I could not find any pics of this particular shower/mixer apart on any of the interwebs. I found the "This Old House" videos to be the most informative, even if they didn't cover my particular style of cartridge or frozen stops. But the majority of vids are not informative at all--more like "look at me, I replaced the cartridge!" No one talked of the potential issues such as a stuck retainer ring requiring a flame shield for heating and removal...

PS: I messed with the contrast a little too much in the last pic so it gave it a "hammered" look. It was not...

PPS: I also replaced the diverter valve for tub/shower. Separate fixture for this unit. I've had a new one sitting in the bathroom closet for about 10 years now...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stop1.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	154361   Click image for larger version

Name:	stop4.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	154362   Click image for larger version

Name:	stop2.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	154363   Click image for larger version

Name:	stop3.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	154364   Click image for larger version

Name:	stop5.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	187.8 KB
ID:	154368  

MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart 250ci plasma

Last edited by mccutter; 01-24-2020 at 11:30 PM.
Old 01-25-2020, 02:53 AM
I can dig it

Default Delta Scald-Guard Shower/Tub Control Replacement and Question...

Does the water flow better after removing the black piece?

Old 01-25-2020, 05:55 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywynd View Post
Does the water flow better after removing the black piece?

Quick,burn that black thing. that looks like the conovirus buglol

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden