Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-03-2019, 05:22 PM
JBFab JBFab is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NorthCentral Wisconsin
Posts: 1,252
Default Chinesium Plasma Cutters

This topic has been posted here before, but it appears as though it's been a few years.

Has anyone here actually purchased one of the Lotos or other chinesium branded plasma cutters? I normally wouldn't consider this. I've used Hypertherm, Thermal Dynamics, Miller, and Linde plasma cutters - all with good results. Here's my situation:

My "lifetime lease" that airgas fucked me out of after purchasing the company I leased the bottles from is gone. I am out of oxygen. I could pay $400 per bottle for the lease (from one of Airgas's competitors) and likely will at somepoint. However, I find myself needing to cut material more than I need to heat it lately. Also, since getting the spoolgun I find myself playing with aluminum more.

So now I find myself thinking I have a decent position to talk the wife into letting me buy one of these - it's the same price as a leased bottle. But I'm finding a hard time shelling out 25% of the cost of a "real" machine without knowing if it will work out of the box and last more than 3 minutes.

What say ye?
__________________
I believe the appropriate metaphor here involves a river of excrement and a Native American water vessel without any means of propulsion.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-03-2019, 05:32 PM
astronut's Avatar
astronut astronut is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Down South
Posts: 542
Default

Years ago I owned a Giant Tech Cut 50D. It was okay for what I paid for it of around $400 at the time if I remember correctly. Only thing is it had the Mosfit electronics in it instead of the IGB electronics. Back then Mosfit electronics were known to go up in smoke at the drop of a hat. I never had an issue with mine when I had it and it would cut up to about 1/2" steel if I remember correctly. The only thing I did not like about it was that it did not have a pilot arc. It was contact start only. After a year or two of sitting with no use I put it up on ebay and sold it. I had a Thermaldynamics 25amp 110 volt unit before it and it would cut up to 3/16 steel and 1/4" with slow patience. I wish I would have kept that one since most of my plasma work that I usually did was 1/4" or less.
__________________
I love the smell of napalm in the morning. It smells like, victory!

Victor Torch Set With Meco Regs
Lincoln Weld Pak 100
Giant Tech Arc 200
Miller Roughneck2E
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-03-2019, 08:15 PM
digger doug's Avatar
digger doug digger doug is offline
Not to be used as a Flotation Device
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NW Pa
Posts: 11,818
Default

There is a 3rd option:
I had purchased (2) 40 amp older xformer units (a hypertherm max 40, and a
solar model)
outfitted new torches to them, and used them for a few years.

HF start, torch's, hoses, consumables are all cheap on e-bay (pt-31 torch).

However I wanted to upgrade.
So I picked up a non working snap on ya-5550.
Original torch was made by Hypertherm.

55 amp xformer unit, dead simple, no HF to deal with.
Replaced the melted glob of a torch with a new Chinese copy ($80).
IIRC s-60 blowback torch.

I see them made under Century, Dayton, etc.

No they aren't portable by any means (well they doo have wheels
under them).

But, no one will steal it either.......
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-04-2019, 12:09 AM
JBFab JBFab is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NorthCentral Wisconsin
Posts: 1,252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
There is a 3rd option:
I had purchased (2) 40 amp older xformer units (a hypertherm max 40, and a
solar model)
outfitted new torches to them, and used them for a few years.

HF start, torch's, hoses, consumables are all cheap on e-bay (pt-31 torch).

However I wanted to upgrade.
So I picked up a non working snap on ya-5550.
Original torch was made by Hypertherm.

55 amp xformer unit, dead simple, no HF to deal with.
Replaced the melted glob of a torch with a new Chinese copy ($80).
IIRC s-60 blowback torch.

I see them made under Century, Dayton, etc.

No they aren't portable by any means (well they doo have wheels
under them).

But, no one will steal it either.......
Thanks for your input. I took a look at that option, and didn't find anything that seemed to be priced right/something that I'm confident I could diagnose and repair.

Working, well used (beat up) name brand units in the 50 amp range still seem to be fetching $1000 or near that.

Sent from my SM-N960U using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
__________________
I believe the appropriate metaphor here involves a river of excrement and a Native American water vessel without any means of propulsion.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-04-2019, 12:10 AM
JBFab JBFab is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NorthCentral Wisconsin
Posts: 1,252
Default

Thanks for your reply, this particular model is pilot start.
Quote:
Originally Posted by astronut View Post
Years ago I owned a Giant Tech Cut 50D. It was okay for what I paid for it of around $400 at the time if I remember correctly. Only thing is it had the Mosfit electronics in it instead of the IGB electronics. Back then Mosfit electronics were known to go up in smoke at the drop of a hat. I never had an issue with mine when I had it and it would cut up to about 1/2" steel if I remember correctly. The only thing I did not like about it was that it did not have a pilot arc. It was contact start only. After a year or two of sitting with no use I put it up on ebay and sold it. I had a Thermaldynamics 25amp 110 volt unit before it and it would cut up to 3/16 steel and 1/4" with slow patience. I wish I would have kept that one since most of my plasma work that I usually did was 1/4" or less.
Sent from my SM-N960U using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
__________________
I believe the appropriate metaphor here involves a river of excrement and a Native American water vessel without any means of propulsion.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-04-2019, 09:47 AM
Shade Tree Welder's Avatar
Shade Tree Welder Shade Tree Welder is offline
Grumpy Bastard
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kankakee County, IL
Posts: 19,654
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBFab View Post
My "lifetime lease" that airgas fucked me out of after purchasing the company
I leased the bottles from is gone.
Airgas pissed me off and chased me away from BOC back in the day. I followed
Chad over to SJ Smith, they have taken very good care of me over the years.

As far as the chinkomatics, I have no input. My Miller has been good to me
over the years. Next one will likely be a Hypertherm unit, if the Miller ever
dies.
__________________
Shade

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-04-2019, 10:03 AM
moe1942's Avatar
moe1942 moe1942 is offline
Voice of Experience
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Alexandria, Louisiana
Posts: 10,991
Default

I have a Collosal Tech Cut 50...Good machine for the price.
__________________
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you... John Steinbeck

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will
be a nation gone under". ~Ronald Reagan

We should have picked our own cotton...

I love my women hot and my beer ice cold..
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-04-2019, 05:50 PM
digger doug's Avatar
digger doug digger doug is offline
Not to be used as a Flotation Device
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NW Pa
Posts: 11,818
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBFab View Post
Thanks for your input. I took a look at that option, and didn't find anything that seemed to be priced right/something that I'm confident I could diagnose and repair.

Working, well used (beat up) name brand units in the 50 amp range still seem to be fetching $1000 or near that.

Sent from my SM-N960U using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
I think you don't understand all that I wrote.

50 amp TRANSFORMER plasma cutters, but new enough to NOT
be HF start, and are AMERICAN MADE, or CEBORA (Italian made, sold
as the snap on ya-5550A, and a smaller unit sold thru Harbor freight)

And dirt simple to repair.

Max you should spend would be $400.
https://masoncity.craigslist.org/tls...898652358.html
https://columbus.craigslist.org/tls/...924880190.html
https://www.centurytool.net/Century_...rts_s/2381.htm

Last edited by digger doug; 07-05-2019 at 06:15 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-07-2019, 08:02 PM
JBFab JBFab is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NorthCentral Wisconsin
Posts: 1,252
Default

I understood you fine, but I can't seem to find anything like that local to me.

That coupled with the fact that I'm still not confident in my ability to diagnose and repair one.

Sent from my mobile device using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
__________________
I believe the appropriate metaphor here involves a river of excrement and a Native American water vessel without any means of propulsion.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-07-2019, 09:36 PM
Matt G. Matt G. is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 156
Default

I have had one of the Lotos units for about 3 years now. I bought it for a specific project, which it successfully completed, and have used it maybe once a year since. It does the 5% of jobs my 14" band saw cannot do. So far, so good. Consumables are cheap on ebay, and at the rate I use it, I probably have a lifetime supply.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Web Search:

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.