Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 10-16-2018, 02:42 PM
Da Chief

Update: couldn't stand it, kicked payin' work to the curb.(finish later tonight)

Installed McCutters consumables per the drawing. Heard the "click" per Rod's instrictions, hooked up air/power, flipped the on/off switch to "on" got the winding up turbine sound, all indicator lights except the "power" light are off.

Pulled the trigger, air flow starts, no pilot arc. "cup" lights blinks as long as trigger is held. release trigger, air flow stops, "cup" light stays on steady.

Pull trigger again, same drill.

Had the cover off, thought there might be an interlock I missed, re-installed the cover, same result. Putting on the cover, I noticed a red LED, on the right top, on the PCB, as you face the unit from the control panel, glowing brightly any time the unit is plugged in. (not visible with the cover on)

Pulled and reassembled the torch consumables, listen for the click. turn on, same result as before.

OK smart pig's, take me to school.

RED

What I really need to know is, WHEN DOES THE SHOOTING START?
Old 10-16-2018, 03:58 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED caddy View Post

RED
I am guessing like your first post said....Some guys have all the luck..

I would call Miller tech support, and find out what they have to say about that machines issues..
Old 10-16-2018, 05:24 PM
Connoisseur of Old Iron

Quote:

RED
Red, take the torch off the machine, clean the connections, and reassemble. Test again.
While you have it apart test for good conductivity of the control wiring and the high tension cable that feeds the plasma tip. A friend had an older plasma cutter (the size of a medium sized paint locker) he had fits with. It was used on a home made CNC table. I was installing new air lines in his shop. I stepped on the cover of the wire tunnel and the torch went out and would not re-light. I put two and two together and came up with something was not right under that cover.
He had no idea where the problem was, but had a pretty good idea of where to look, then. We took the cover off and there was a connector there he took it apart and cleaned it. Put everything back together. I worked fine after that. He also told me later that he cleaned all the gunk out of the tunnel after that. I think it was the first plasma table I ever saw. He lived down by Washington, Pa. He had vertigo, so he could not climb ladders anymore. I think his son still is running that table, at least he had upgraded it to a new plasma cutter. I talked to him at the funeral.
Dan.
Miller 10-E Wire Feeder
Miller Spectrum 2050 Plasma Cutter
Hobart AC/DC stick welder
Hobart 175 Mig
Craftsman O/A set
Turbo torch and B-tank
Old 10-16-2018, 05:30 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Update: couldn't stand it, kicked payin' work to the curb.(finish later tonight)

Installed McCutters consumables per the drawing. Heard the "click" per Rod's instrictions, hooked up air/power, flipped the on/off switch to "on" got the winding up turbine sound, all indicator lights except the "power" light are off.

Pulled the trigger, air flow starts, no pilot arc. "cup" lights blinks as long as trigger is held. release trigger, air flow stops, "cup" light stays on steady.

Pull trigger again, same drill.

Had the cover off, thought there might be an interlock I missed, re-installed the cover, same result. Putting on the cover, I noticed a red LED, on the right top, on the PCB, as you face the unit from the control panel, glowing brightly any time the unit is plugged in. (not visible with the cover on)

Pulled and reassembled the torch consumables, listen for the click. turn on, same result as before.

RED
Have you had the torch completely apart I had that issue with my machine a couple of years ago and there was a shorted wire in the torch head and handle... needless to say I no longer have that machine but wish I never traded it off though there is a guy who is supposed to be making conversion troches for them at the tune of 350 bucks that resolves those issues somewhere in North Texas.... the new torches come with a 16 to 75' whip. for the price might be the way to go be less headaches and cheaper consumables.. just might be worth looking in to

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!
Old 10-16-2018, 07:18 PM
Post Fiend

Check the workpiece lead (ground) also. Just like an electric welder, you need a clean place to clamp it. Check its connections also...

EDIT: I was thinking about this and you "shouldn't" need the ground to get the pilot to work as I'm pretty sure that circuitry (separate ground) is in the handle...

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
Lincoln Patriot autodark (freebie)
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...

Last edited by mccutter; 10-18-2018 at 10:49 AM.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:01 PM
Elite Member

Do you have a exposed nozzle setup for the torch. If it's totally shielded this won't work.. See if you can get a spark from the cutter if you touch the tip to the work piece.. Maybe it's that start high voltage or pilot arc starting issue, and not the whole IGBT stuff, and the like...

I am guessing you can take the drag shield off, and see if the nozzle will start a arc by dragging on the plate.. hate that old hypertherm style torch. Always sucked hind tit in so many ways from the stiff cable when old, to the really finicky consumables. Others here just love them so much, but really don't have a clue either..

Last edited by Scott V; 10-17-2018 at 03:39 AM.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:49 PM
SFT Historian

Quote:

RED
Well
I assume you know how to use an ohm meter.
assuming I'm looking at the right owners manual

Best I can come up with is check the cup switch wiring
I'm not familiar with the symbol they are using for the switch, lets give it a try any way.

unplug the power
"looks like" a three pin plug on the gun, unplug it and lets check the guns wiring
set your ohm meter to its lowest ohm scale.

see drawing
the cup switch shows normally closed ( I assume cup in place)
check the resistance across the orange and light/blue wire.
remove the cup and see if the reading opens up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cup switch.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	147507  
Old 10-25-2018, 07:40 AM
Urban Gunfighter

Any progress on the machine?

"I am a man of peace, but if war comes to my door it will find me home."
Old 10-25-2018, 01:38 PM
Da Chief

Just got back to paradise, third day thawing out and watching the swelling go down. With a bit of luck, back in the shop Friday.

First trick is to unplug and clean ALL the weather tite connectors on the torch lead. (there are 8 or 9 multi pin plugs) unplug, spray clean, lube, re plug and try lite off drill again. Never did find a separate air filter after the water separator, or after the regulator.

RED

What I really need to know is, WHEN DOES THE SHOOTING START?