Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 09-26-2018, 08:37 AM

So everyone but me is puking in my house. I just got everyone in bed so I am going out to burn now.

210mp so I don't have the gouge setting but I am goin to play with it

Sent from my [device_name] using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Everlast 160stl
Powerkraft 300

2 Loose Screws Fabrication
Owner
Old 09-26-2018, 10:38 AM

Arc force, dig, hot start...…….. Wow!!

I learned on a tapped machine, and still mostly run that style machine. Feels like the Space Shuttle when I use the Ranger. It has an extra knob for range settings. I'm so impressed by that knob, that sometimes I just stare at it, and fondle myself

http://www.farmersamm.com/
Old 09-26-2018, 11:05 AM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmersamm View Post
Wow!!
sometimes I just stare at it, and fondle myself
Dam.... Sam... I'm impressed you can still do that

But yes it is the space age of almost everything out there now days
some of us have the advantage of being able to pick up a rig and go with it as it is what we cut our teeth on... the ole tomb stones and others and some of us have gone with the wind and learned the new stuff as well
its all good if your good at it and willing to go with the wind on it.

hell just yesterday I seen a "DIY grade" shop Robotic unit for sale on CL
so the winds of change have not stopped yet.... its the future for some

but I think they are for those who can only use their brains and not their hands or at least not at the same time....

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!
Old 09-26-2018, 11:22 AM
Something's Fishy ...

He can fondle all he wants but......NOTHING HAPPENS until Ki'kins comes along and says stop that or it will hurt next time you pee
Old 09-26-2018, 11:43 AM

Well Sam I guess we don't have to talk about pulse per min! Lol my Titan is that way, no electronics, but I miss them when I need the duty cycle. Inverters are where it's at right now. IGBT was the gateway to the new dynasty/diversion/square wave. More power with less current, clean wave forms, and the gap you can cover with 7018 at 1.5 pulses per second..... If you have the toy's you might as well use them.

Consider this, I was running my 210 mp, dual shield flux core 500ipm (Max) and my wife plugged in our coffee pot and brewed a pot before I noticed, on 8kw ( granted I think they are under rated).

Top two beads are 109 middle are 115, bottom are 125. I settled on 122 and the other side is me playing with it. Just trying to get my consistency backClick image for larger version

Name:	0926181116.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	147150Click image for larger version

Name:	0926181116a.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	147151

Everlast 160stl
Powerkraft 300

Owner
Old 09-27-2018, 06:30 PM

Well I was pissed off when I went to the welding store. I ran out of that box of fourney electrodes and I didn't seem to get any better. They where out of the cheap-0 rod so I forked out the extra cash for excaliber. Its like a new welder. My first attempt is the pic below. I am never going to buy that cheap crap again!!!

Flux kept on running in front of the puddle so I thought I was going too slow. I feel like an industrial size jackass for not trusting myself when I thought it was wrong to begin with.Click image for larger version

Name:	0927181817.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	147173

Everlast 160stl
Powerkraft 300

Owner
Old 09-27-2018, 06:40 PM
Elite Member

The cost of consumables are cheap Rework is not
Old 09-27-2018, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomoreusmc View Post
Well I was pissed off when I went to the welding store. I ran out of that box of fourney electrodes and I didn't seem to get any better. They where out of the cheap-0 rod so I forked out the extra cash for excaliber. Its like a new welder. My first attempt is the pic below. I am never going to buy that cheap crap again!!!

Flux kept on running in front of the puddle so I thought I was going too slow. I feel like an industrial size jackass for not trusting myself when I thought it was wrong to begin with.Attachment 147173

I've yet to find any better than Excalibur.

Did you notice the increased puddle visibility? Nice clean line between the puddle and the slag. It allows you to build a very nice profile cause you can see the height of the bead as it begins to solidify at that line.

That slag you think is running in front of the puddle is that magical line. Everything on your side of that dark line is actual molten metal. It's some kewl stuff

Try some overhead fillets. You'll be amazed. This stuff allows you to really manipulate the puddle without doing circles, or anything near whipping.

Point it straight up, and start the puddle. Drag as you move rapidly against the vertical corner with a very short flick of your wrist. It's enough to make your vertical leg.

To keep it all under control, and not have any sagging, or spilling......Move the rod slightly back from the face of the puddle (allows the tiniest bit of solidification at that magic line), then gently push the rod into the puddle to build profile. You'll get the rhythm down in not time.

After you get that "push" thing going good, the material will fill the vertical leg almost on its own. Just a matter of keeping track of the straightness of the bottom of the vertical leg.

Old 09-27-2018, 10:32 PM

By "straight up", I mean put your arc force on the overhead plate. The combination of gravity, and wrist flick, will cause it to flow against the vertical plate.

Hard to describe this shit in words.

Old 09-28-2018, 03:41 AM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomoreusmc View Post

Flux kept on running in front of the puddle so I thought I was going too slow. I feel like an industrial size jackass for not trusting myself when I thought it was wrong to begin with.Attachment 147173

Nah nothing to do with cheap rod heck a lot of us can use cheap rod just as well as high end select rod but if its a paying job if you practice with any ole rod brand and you get good at using it then no reason a select rod should come out anything but a superior weld...

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!