Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 12-12-2016, 03:38 PM

Default Angle grinders

I was looking for a good first angle grinder, i don't need something to cut through super thick metal i'm primarily going to use it for rounding edges on different things like my anvil, or sharpening different tools, etc. Iv done some looking and found two cheaper ones. One is a Ryobi 7.5 Amp 4.5 in, angle grinder at home depot, here's the model number #AG454 And i have also found a Kawasaki 7.5 Amp 4.5 in, with variable speed control, #841428 They are both 40$ which is a great price for me, but i'm willing to pay more for something that's higher quality if its a better investment. I would prefer ones with a trigger grip because it seems more comfortable for long usage, but if someone recommends i get the regular barrel grip style from a better company i would.
And i did find this one too, Dewalt Heavy duty 4.5/5 in 13 Amp 9,000 RPM grinder with the trigger grip, model #D28115. i found this one on amazon, but i'm wondering if i should find one with a variable speed control as well?
Old 12-12-2016, 04:28 PM
Stuff, Just stuff

Welcome,

The ryobi and kawasaki probably are not much different in manufacture. Little grinders seem to multiply once you start using them. Some folks can use a Harbor freight one for many years and some are less than a second or three. You may have good luck with a low cost one for home use. If money is not a big concern I prefer metabos, some folks do not.

Get one in your budget and have at it and see what works for you.

Scott
Old 12-12-2016, 04:50 PM
Elite Member

I have been very happy with the 4.5 inch dewalt grinders I've gotten(about $100). They last for years and I do not baby my tools. Adjustable speed is nice on a 7inch, but I don't think its needed for a small one.
Old 12-12-2016, 05:20 PM
The Real Deal

Here ya go OOPs look's like it is sold out
Old 12-12-2016, 05:45 PM
Standard of Excellence

Anything under 10amps is a waste of money. I have been running the dewalt D28402 grinders for about 10 years. I keep replacement parts on hand, brushes, switch, and cord ends. I run 'em hard and aside from those parts, which are common wear parts n all angle grinders, they last well. I prefer the paddle switches over the side switches. I have about 6 or 7 of them between the shop and the truck. If you are good with small equipment repair you can buy broken ones on eBay for about $15-$20. They rarely take much work to get them going. The most I have put into one is $20 for a set of bevel gears, usually it is the cord or brushes.
Old 12-12-2016, 06:01 PM
Chairman of the Headboard

Grinders, seem to be like pickups, everyone has their favorite brand.

Foregoing that mess, Id share 2 things, Amps is a big deal if you want to get anything done, and the hand grinder ( mostly the 4-5" ) is easily the most dangerous tool in the shop.

It will put a hurt on you, a good hurt, long before you ever know its happened, I make a habit of wearing my stick gloves whenever using a grinder. I own way too many battle scars not too.

Beyond that, metabo, seems to be well liked, ( Ive never owned one to know ) I have a party mix of grinders myself. I do have a Milwaukee from the late 1980s Im still running, its a higher amp paddle grinder. Keep in mind that was built by an entirely different tool company than the one that carries that name today. That grinder was also a domestically made tool. Its got a million miles on it, and looks like it too !

Like Walker said, Id be tempted to buy an old good model, and run the risk or repair, than a new Chinese POS.

Id buy as much "amps" as possible, and paddle switches, I like a hell of allot more than top mounted thumb switches, just personal preference.

Best wishes with your first grinder, and remember they can bite.
Old 12-12-2016, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battlebarge View Post
I was looking for a good first angle grinder, i don't need something to cut through super thick metal i'm primarily going to use it for rounding edges on different things like my anvil, or sharpening different tools, etc. Iv done some looking and found two cheaper ones. One is a Ryobi 7.5 Amp 4.5 in, angle grinder at home depot, here's the model number #AG454 And i have also found a Kawasaki 7.5 Amp 4.5 in, with variable speed control, #841428 They are both 40$ which is a great price for me, but i'm willing to pay more for something that's higher quality if its a better investment. I would prefer ones with a trigger grip because it seems more comfortable for long usage, but if someone recommends i get the regular barrel grip style from a better company i would.
And i did find this one too, Dewalt Heavy duty 4.5/5 in 13 Amp 9,000 RPM grinder with the trigger grip, model #D28115. i found this one on amazon, but i'm wondering if i should find one with a variable speed control as well?
In that price range it is tough to find anything really good but for lighter duty use you can find some ok stuff.

I actually own that variable speed Kawasaki that you mentioned. I bought it because of the variable speed function. It is tough to find a variable speed angle grinder and they are good for running lower rpm wheels for some of the polishing I do and for wire wheels. My only complaint is that the trigger is less ergonomic than I would like. The cord seems kinda cheap but so far it has held up.

Otherwise, I usually look at the specs on the grinder. I have a pretty nice 13Amp Dewalt 4 1/2" grinder with extremely egonomic trigger but it cost me $140 and isn't variable speed.
I got a Bostich on clearance at Menards for $30 that has been decent so far but it has a paddle switch that I don't care for.

I am usually a cost/benefit guy when it comes to grinders so I will usually only buy one if it seems like it should cost more than it is being sold for.

Last edited by o7oBaseMetal; 12-12-2016 at 10:18 PM.
Old 12-13-2016, 08:09 AM

I agree angle grinders are like discussing what's the best oil. For me a variable speed, and on off switch were the must haves.

Variable speed because, I'm able to get more miles out of flap discs. On Off switch or paddle, two problems with the paddle, grinder will not operate without constantly hold the damn thing. It also limits the positions that the tool can be used in.

Of course the power matters that's a given.

Greg
Old 12-13-2016, 09:22 AM
Boiler God

I have both single and variable speed Metabos (somewhere around 20 or so) to me the best on the market, I also own a Bosch, which seem okay, but prefer the Metabo.
Old 12-13-2016, 10:19 AM
Director: Fish Seduction

I had bad luck with my first DeWalt, so I went cheap on the second one. Pretty sure it's similar to the Ryobi your looking at. It has lasted well and works great for what it is. Trigger switch being WAY back on the handle is a pain as it guarantees that you'll be using it with both hands. That's great for dangerous stuff, like using metal cutting discs and wire brushes. You gotta keep outta the flight path when things explode, or keep control when things break.

I've since stepped up to Makita's. I have one with the thumb switch on top and one with a paddle switch. For flap disc use, the constant speed, single handed operation of the thumb switch can't be beat IMO. Finesse the tool to do the work you want, and it will spin lots of directions to reach all the spots you need to get into. Also, flap discs aren't real grabby and likely to do major bodily damage at speed. I've not done anything with the paddle switch yet as I picked it up at a garage sale last weekend for $20. Plugged it in, it works, good enough for me.

For variable speed options, I run pneumatic grinders. It's easier on me and them. If it's something that is so sensitive that I could damage it with the high speed electric, then I want to tool down and have better control anyway.

Wade's Custom Kydex