Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 02-04-2013, 09:53 PM

Sounds like a defective safty device to me OSHA and the BBB don't take to kindly to thouse things I would contact bouth.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:15 PM
Lord of the Minions

Makes as much sense as having to remove tires and fender liner to get at the spark plugs on an engine. Or, having to drill a big hole in a fender liner and/or frame rail to get a wrench on an engine part of a fWD vehicle. Or, having a spare tire that you cannot leave on your car. Or, having a battery operated anything with not being able to change the batteries. Or, tamper proof med caps. Or thinking that wigs should have velcro.

I'm with you Jen, but do realize that most folk do not read the instructions on how to remove dinky little plastic parts, not to say that any of us have that problem. Personally, I have to look for the instructions every week to remember how to change the drums on my blood meter.

What it says is that most of what is considered new tech production in parts is pure crap. How easy could it have been for them to actually make something that would last more than one cycle of use.

For me, I could see me using a well placed spot of "Goop" to hold that thing in place, send HTP/manufacturer both a nasty letter of engineering quality of the product and screw giving anyone another $5 bucks for something that should not have broken or been made in the first place.

But that's just me.

Jen, I applaude your patience and rational thinking with this, but do think you should mention some slight displeasure to them for this fact of "consumable" mention.

FWIW, on our old school hats, that thin piece of spring steel lense holder is as well mentioned/called a consumable as in fact all of it is except for the hat itself. I guess they have to draw the line somewhere.

Should it make us feel any better, the human body is the most supreme consumable known to man. I think God had a reason for some 'time/term limits' of nature. Afterall, just how much concern should we have with what man/woman can cause/do in the course of 80 or so years.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 02-05-2013, 07:50 AM
Gadget Girl

Thanks to all who replied.. I was looking for guidance since I didn't want to over react. Of which all you guys offered..

Since I posted this thread.. I did email Jackson but haven't received a response yet..

Jeff from HTP/USAweld did get back to me this morning/last night..

He called Jackson directly.. Jackson told him the ADF has a 2 year warranty and the helmet has only a 1 year warranty..

I myself am surprised that the helmet retainer failed... Was it my fault I'd say yes.. How was it my fault.. the tabs behind the ADF are little ears and when you remove the ADF retainer these little tabs lift the ADF and inside lense protector up out of the helmet.. These little ears get brittle with time and they just snapped right off.. My fault because I was the one removing the ADF..

I think the retainer is a bad design and to remove the ADF from the helmet you also have to compress the 2 large ears on the sides like 3/16" to get the ADF out.. These are another weak link since I can all ready see that they are getting ready to break (no longer return to center) and I've only removed the ADF 2X in 2 years.

Maybe I got a bad retainer.. bad plastic mix..

I don't fault HTP/USAweld at all.. I will continue to buy from them as I have had nothing but great service from them on there products.. and USAweld sells really nice Pyrex gas lense kit's.

To bad Jackson has gone the way of a lot of other USA companies..

I ended up buying 3 retainers and a set of gloves from Cyberweld.com. free ship with 25.00 purchase.

I did find the retainers for as low as 2.53 each vs 4.00+ but once shipping was added the price came out to about 4.00 per..

One place had them listed at 3.05 each and it was only 6.00 shipping but they were out of stock..

Thanks again to all who replied.

If I defend myself I am attacked.

My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:53 AM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
from Cyberweld.com
Just so you know, all of my Miller welding and cutting machinery came from Cyberweld and not an ounce of problems with ordering, stocking, packaging or the delivery there of.

Always ready and reachable if I had a question or a supposed problem. Any problems were of my own doing BTW.

Jen, looks like you did find a good price no matter what the other outcome is. I have always thought it better to keep a cool head in such things, now if I could practice that preaching.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 02-05-2013, 05:35 PM
Gadget Girl

I'd like to claim I have some sort of handle on excessive bitchy but this time I had an intervention.

It is true you catch more bee's with honey than with vinegar but on that same token there are some people whom always like to be argued with just to get what one deservers..

I'm trying to turn over a new leaf..

If I defend myself I am attacked.

My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.