Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 01-29-2013, 06:01 PM

Default silver solders

I'm trying to unconfuse myself. I understand the basic difference in silver content like 3.8%, 9%, 15%, 45%, 56%. But what are the typical melting points? And maybe the purpose of each. For example which would be better for a brass to brass, or an aluminum to aluminum? I keep researching and I get wide swings in temps for the same content silver rods or wire. Maybe thats the other metals included. I keep seeing silver solder used but maybe a suggestion on which to use typically for basic steel to steel, brass to brass or copper and alum to alum would help. Just a bit uninformed about which works where and the temps. I saw the charts at Airgas and it helped clear the fog a little but the alum with the alum flux is a stumper.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:31 PM
set phasers to .50 caliber

I haven't research enough to give you a textbook answer.

But I will say that the higher the silver content, the easier it flows. I do a lot of copper-to-copper and copper-to-brass.

When I am in a good position, I use the cheap(er) 5% silver. When I'm in a hard position and especially when doing something critical with a high pucker factor, I use the 15% silver.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:02 PM

I checked around and it seems the higher the silver the higher the melting point. That was until someone posted that 65% was considered to be a lesser melting point than 56 and then my head hurt. I have some 3.8%. I wanted to get a bit sturdier with a 800 or so degree melting point for some alum that I wanted to solder together. Based on some charts it would seem that should be either 9 or 15% silver..but then I got some conflicting info. if anyone can clear the fog...
Old 01-29-2013, 08:07 PM
I can dig it

In my case I just use whatever happened to follow me home from former employers..... actually it just seemed that there was always some in a drawer in my tool box that just happened to miss getting left there.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:09 PM
Gold Star Dad

Here's a list of some various alloys & etc. Have fun.

http://www.silvaloy.com/brazing_table.php
Old 01-29-2013, 08:18 PM
Auction Addict

The silver content is one of the keys to the melting point but so is the alloy it is mixed with. So one silver % compared to another brand with the same silver % with a different alloy will not all melt at the same temp.

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.
Groucho Marx
Old 01-29-2013, 08:55 PM

Thats whats killing me. the whole different manufacturer thing. Hate to spend money without some sense of what the hell I'm doing.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:56 PM

That chart helps alot.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:02 PM
Karma Avenger

Quote:
In my case I just use whatever happened to follow me home from former employers..... actually it just seemed that there was always some in a drawer in my tool box that just happened to miss getting left there.
That's what I call a "going away present"

I went from working at the Sheriff's Dept to working at LAX on corporate jets. When I brought my tools in, nobody checked what I had. When I was leaving suddenly there was a big interest in what I had. Luckily I knew this in advance because after doing a drawer to drawer search I found 3 boxes of 9mm range ammo that one of the Deputies had given me. I don't think that would have gone well with the powers that be so I had to smuggle the boxes out in my lunch box before the big search. Those airport cops just have no sense of humor.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:58 PM

Rio Grande Jewelers supply has a great selection and alot of info. It is correct that the higher the silver content, the higher the melting point. I use both 56% and 65%. I don't think you'll be soldering aluminum together with this method though.

One other thing; your going to pay out the Ass at the local welding supply. Give Rio Grande a try. You can buy it by the ounce or the foot. They also sell handy flux which is good through the higher temp ranges. http://www.riogrande.com

http://www.riogrande.com/Category/To...28/Silver/4446

Last edited by Matt_Wheaton; 01-30-2013 at 03:07 PM.