Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 01-18-2013, 06:28 PM

Default shaft turner for welding

I am thinking about making a shaft turning device so I can build up a worn shaft with weld. I have a drive unit I made up for my mill out of a wiper motor so can use that for a drive but the one that's got me thinking is having the ground attached and allowing the shaft to turn without arcing all over the shaft. Anyone got any ideas.
The drive will be to a centre in a brass bush, maybe the brass would pass the current without arcing?
Clive
Old 01-18-2013, 09:11 PM
Stuff, Just stuff

Well Sir, I do not know what you have as far as a pile of opportunity, so I'll throw out an idea or 2 strip off a chunk of insulation on you ground wire and lay the bare part across the shaft you are building up, never have done this just a thought.You would probably have to tie it down tight so it would rub on the shaft good.

Brushes from an old starter motor rigged to rub on the shaft as it turned with ground connected. I have used one like that before. It was a custom built one.

Scott
Old 01-18-2013, 09:46 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

I would look in the Index for tips, We had a good thread on this, and I know Cutter had a neat rig for the ground on the shaft.

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 01-18-2013, 10:20 PM

Thanks guys, I was pretty sure someone would come up with an idea.
Clive
Old 01-18-2013, 10:32 PM
Elite Member

My friend just used it this way. Does ton of welding prop shafts. Got tired of holding the trigger.. Short one was .030 solid, and the long one was SS dual-shield.

He split a pipe, clamped it to the shaft, and welded a stud to it for the ground. seemed to work fine.

Looks like I could add this chuck to my table without getting too carried away. Just unclip the X drive motor wiring and hook the the chuck , no other axis drives needed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I58RRx-hf40
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0044 (Medium).jpg
Views:	307
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	100655   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0045 (Medium).jpg
Views:	291
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	100656   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0049 (Medium).jpg
Views:	292
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	100657   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0039 (Medium).jpg
Views:	293
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	100658   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0043 (Medium).JPG
Views:	277
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	100659  

Last edited by Scott V; 01-18-2013 at 10:50 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott V View Post
My friend just used it this way. Does ton of welding prop shafts. Got tired of holding the trigger.. Short one was .030 solid, and the long one was SS dual-shield.

He split a pipe, clamped it to the shaft, and welded a stud to it for the ground. seemed to work fine.

Looks like I could add this chuck to my table without getting too carried away. Just unclip the X drive motor wiring and hook the the chuck , no other axis drives needed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I58RRx-hf40
Scott, Thanks for posting the photos. He does a great job, nice finish. I am surprised that he has not isolated the chuck, I once had an electric motor get very hot when the earth returned through the motor instead of the earth clamp. I'm going with a simple drive like a face plate and an adjustable dead centre on the other end made from a bit of threaded rod with a couple of nuts for adjustment. The drive unit I made for the mill has a good speed range from zero to faster than the weld deposit could keep up with. I can do a test piece first then leave it on that setting, it has a DPDT switch for start and stop.
I've been wanting to do this for a while but gave it away because I couldn't work out how to drive it, then I saw a youtube vid on a drive for a mill so I made one then the penny dropped and I realised the same drive would do both.
Clive
Old 01-19-2013, 02:26 AM
Elite Member

I gave him a really nice magnetic Rotary ground clamp, but kind of useless on SS. I can see having a grounding issue, but he seems not to have that issue. (So far)

Penny dropped here too, and now I can hook one up to my table without any issues. Had the info, but didn't really think about it. He was having issues with his 4th axis, and just used the X instead. Plugs right into the steeper motor. He has since solve that issue (Wrong info in the electric manual ) Anyway, I can just add a setup like he has, and got a pretty cheap 4th axis.

Last edited by Scott V; 01-19-2013 at 02:33 AM.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:18 AM

In the shot of the short shaft it shows the earth clamp clearly and no arcing on the stub. I don't have a set up for moving the hand piece, I thought I might try holding it but with my eyesight it will probably end up like the Blind Institute School of Welding, so I think it might be best to just position it one run at a time with a holder. It will take longer but look better.
Clive
Old 01-19-2013, 04:38 AM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
I would look in the Index for tips, We had a good thread on this, and I know Cutter had a neat rig for the ground on the shaft.
Well Gerry, I've been trying to think of whatever it is that you're thinking of and now Clive has asked me.
I have no idea; could either be a memory lapse or maybe someone stole my identity again?
I told Clive that maybe I built something for another use that you saw potential in, but again, I don't remember.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 01-19-2013, 04:43 AM
SFT Brewmaster

When we use to weld pipe in a fixture as this, we would use a braided ground strap.
Wrap it around the pipe and clamp the 2 ends with the ground clamp so the strap would hang off the pipe....pipe/ shaft could turn and the ground would just slip and follow.

I don't suffer from insanity...I enjoy every minute of it
---------------------------------------------------