Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 01-09-2013, 03:25 PM
That Man Behind The Curtain

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyboots1212 View Post
ii have an eastwood tig 200 as well as a plasma cutter. they are rated as 110(with adapter) or 220. havent used the welder yet on 110 but i did use the cutter and would seem the 110 wasnt cutting it. my experience is limited but it didnt seem to work very well and i wonder if its the 110? i will say i did it in a hurry and the scrap metal i tried wasnt well prepped. i quickly took a grinder to it but it still had some paint on it and probably didnt have good contact. either way the arc kept kinda dying out and just didnt work well. i tried adjusting the amps and air but just never really cut cleanly. also, the lights in my garage all but went out when i would press the trigger. never tripped the breaker but definitely was drawing alot on the circuit as the lights pretty much completely dimmed everytime.

now could this be due to the 110 vs 220? both the lights as well as the poor performance, or is the performance more of a reflection of the poorly prepped metal?

i plan on trying the welder on the 110 this weekend and see what happens.
On the plasma... aside from ensuring that you have a solid ground... a good supply of clean dry air...

in 115vac mode... do you have the plasma unit plugged directly to the wall or on some type of extension?? if a too small or too long extension you will get a voltage drop and sketchy performance...

as others have said... cutting on 115v will be very limited... on the order of thin sheet metal... a realistic test will be on 230....

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain..

The more you Know, The Better you Know, How little you Know (old Estonian saying)
Old 01-09-2013, 04:11 PM

i had the plasma unit plugged into a pull down retractable cord from the ceiling. As far as air quality, not too sure how to monitor that? I am using a 100gallon compressor from HD. as far as i know its clean and dry but again i am not too sure how to check that.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:16 PM

Quote:
i had the plasma unit plugged into a pull down retractable cord from the ceiling. As far as air quality, not too sure how to monitor that? I am using a 100gallon compressor from HD. as far as i know its clean and dry but again i am not too sure how to check that.
Plug it directly into the wall...

bet that retractable is your culprit..

The more you Know, The Better you Know, How little you Know (old Estonian saying)
Old 01-09-2013, 05:47 PM

i will try that!

any comments on the air issue?

and either way i am going to make the extension cord:

http://collierwelding.com/tech/weldercord/index.html

seem like a good idea and any thoughts? what size wire is recommended?
Old 01-09-2013, 06:34 PM
SFT Historian

I don't know the specific codes for making an extension cord, and this being the Internet I can give hints and you will have to find out what is legal regardless of what I say.

Generally in house wiring 10 gauge wire is used with a 30 amp breaker around 40 feet maximum., some people may say 75 feet.

Assuming you have an Inverter machine, probably should use no less then 8 gauge wire (not the hard house wire).

The big issue I have with the cord in the link you posted is he is using house wire called Romex it is not made to flex, it is hard and will likely break fairly quick.

Note his Disclaimer in your link: "Do NOT try this at home"

This being the Internet you need to verify everything with someone that is Certified, I'm not certified. I also suggest you search this site and others for Welding Extension cords.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:28 PM

Quote:
i will try that!

any comments on the air issue?

and either way i am going to make the extension cord:

http://collierwelding.com/tech/weldercord/index.html

seem like a good idea and any thoughts? what size wire is recommended?
I would buy (and have bought) the premade #8 flexible welder extension cords with a NEMA 6-50 molded on either end
Like this one from B&R … Welder Extension Cord 8/3 25' ($68 free ship)

http://www.brweldingsupplies.com/wel...n-cord-8-3-25/

and make up a separate adapter using a dryer pigtail and 6-50S… total cost around $25 @ Lowes…

And for air filtration and drying the Motorguard rolled paper filters are great… just mount one inline just before the plasma cutter

http://www.motorguard.com/air_2_2.html

they are not cheap but they will save you money and heartache in the quality of cut and in how fast you go through plasma consumables…

Last edited by H80N; 01-09-2013 at 08:38 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:31 PM

Yeah I didn't notice the kind of wire he was using...I assumed it was extension cord type wire as opposed to interior wiring. I went to Lowes but didn't see anything other than the stiff stuff. Anyone know if you can buy that sorta thing? Otherwise I may just purchase a welding extension cord then just use a short section of the stiff stuff to make a little adapter.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:38 PM

in your first thread you had a dryer pigtail from Lowe's bookmarked.. but since that was erased you might want to look it up again...

on the extension cord... you may find the premade will be cheaper than buying the SO cable and plugs/sockets separately..

Sometimes the better way to do something is not the more expensive...

Last edited by H80N; 01-09-2013 at 09:20 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:08 PM
SFT HVAC Guru

Send a message via AIM to rickairmedic Send a message via MSN to rickairmedic Send a message via Yahoo to rickairmedic

For making an extension cord ask the guy at Lowered expectations or Homey Desperate for # 8 SO cord with at least 3 wires . On the 115 volts for the welder you want a " seperate " 115 volt feed for the machine using the same circuit that your lights are on among other things that may be on that circuit is not giving you the full 15 amps you need for that machine .

Rick

Politically Correct : A term used for whiny pu**ies that need sh*t sugar coated .
Old 01-10-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickairmedic View Post
On the 115 volts for the welder you want a " seperate " 115 volt feed for the machine using the same circuit that your lights are on among other things that may be on that circuit is not giving you the full 15 amps you need for that machine .
Rick
Good point...

although I am concerned that it did not trip the breaker...

if it were overloaded it should have kicked it...