Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 09-08-2012, 10:34 PM

Smile

Iromman,

Major rewrite of post above, please re-read.

Sorry.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:38 AM

Smile

Torchmate managed to split off the scanner option from there CAD program and called it their Lite Module. GoTorch did not mention anything about cutting anything. Picture 1, The box.

GoTorch detail:
State-of-the-art DesignEdge® software, allowing you to design and cut from one streamlined program. It works seamlessly with the machine and provides a simple screen where you work directly with designs you want to cut. This is what makes the DesignEdge® software so effective and easy to use.

The DesignEdge® software is flexible and gives you access to everything you need for effective plasma cutting. It easily imports and cuts designs from external drawing files and machine programs. It can be upgraded with more advanced options for drawing, editing and machine control.

This maybe their $1,000 software upgrade for PlasmaCam users, don't know.

Picture 2 is little better picture of Control System box.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DesignEdge.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	95334   Click image for larger version

Name:	Control Box.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	95335  

Last edited by Vern2; 09-09-2012 at 08:48 AM.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:09 AM
That Man Behind The Curtain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern2 View Post
Torchmate managed to split off the scanner option from there CAD program and called it their Lite Module. GoTorch did not mention anything about cutting anything. Picture 1, The box.

GoTorch detail:
State-of-the-art DesignEdge® software, allowing you to design and cut from one streamlined program. It works seamlessly with the machine and provides a simple screen where you work directly with designs you want to cut. This is what makes the DesignEdge® software so effective and easy to use.

The DesignEdge® software is flexible and gives you access to everything you need for effective plasma cutting. It easily imports and cuts designs from external drawing files and machine programs. It can be upgraded with more advanced options for drawing, editing and machine control.

This maybe their $1,000 software upgrade for PlasmaCam users, don't know.

Picture 2 is little better picture of Control System box.
Now you have me confused..... I thought you were looking for advice.... but it sounds more and more like a sales pitch....

Good luck with it... but the smart ones watching will lay back behind shrapnel range and let you beta test the situation over the next several months....they will wait and see if it ends up in smiles or tears..... if nothing else it is going to be an interesting story...

The deal of the century comes along every five minutes... so another fabulous opportunity will be right along.....

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain..

The more you Know, The Better you Know, How little you Know (old Estonian saying)
Old 09-09-2012, 09:17 AM

Smile

H80N,

Your making a good point!

But, No.. No.. No. The advice I thought I was asking is. Does this discription of there CAD/CAM software describe a chopped up version?? (by omission) OR does it look like, I might be getting there full version of CAD/CAM? The thought is, I'm getting $1000 PlasmaCam software upgrade. GoTorch includes with there plasma table, because it's to expensive to have outside developers chop it up into two versions. The DesignEdge was developed outside of PlasmaCam. So the included full version is an easy way to solve the CAD/CAM problem.

I really try not to talk in circles and miss my entire thought, but it happens. I'm the under dog trying to climb out of a hole I created. I'm looking for + + 's.

Last edited by Vern2; 09-09-2012 at 10:01 AM.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:
No, No, No. The advice I thought I was asking for is. Does this discription of there CAD/CAM software describe a chopped up version of their software OR does it look like, I might be getting there full version of CAD/CAM? The thought is I'm getting $1000 upgrade with GoTorch without paying for it.

I really try not to talk in circles and miss my entire thought, but it happens. I'm the under dog trying to climb out of a hole I created by buying this thing. I'm looking for plus's.
Vern

am not trying to give you a hard time... maybe I am confused ... but if it were me I would do a lot more homework before leaping...

on the surface it looks like you are being offered a Lincoln at the price of a Falcon... under some odd circumstances...

the more we learn about it, the more it sounds like maybe a repainted Edsel, at best.... at worst maybe a picture of one.....

and you are wondering about options... wire wheels or mags??.....

on top of that.... if we lay the whole thing out and do the math... looks like you could buy the new Lincoln outright for the price of the fully optioned out Edsel.....once you have added all the upgrades and options...

so.... why not just get the real Lincoln (Plasmacam) in the first place and save all the nailbiting and compromise??

They are just letting you "think" you are getting a $1000 upgrade FREE...

The more you Know, The Better you Know, How little you Know (old Estonian saying)
Old 09-09-2012, 10:08 AM

Smile

H80N,

It's not about weather or not I should buy it, I bought it. It will be on my door step next Wednesday. I'm on the hook already.

Hay, thanks for your comments H80N.

Buying the real thing is $10,000.

PlasmsCam 4x4.
Basic $7,000
Software upgrade $1,000
DHC1 $1,000
DHC2 $1,000

Total $10,000

Gotorch 2x2.
Basic $3000
Software upgrade Free
DHC1 $1,000
DHC2 $1,000

Total $5,000

Table size from 2x2 to 5x10 upgrade $400 to $1600

Have not found any lies, omissions or miss facts on their web site.

Last edited by Vern2; 09-09-2012 at 10:25 AM.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:11 AM

Go to CNCZONE.COM and check. they are all about cnc and all the machines. that is where I went to get all my info to build mine in 2006. I use Mach3 for controller and Aspire by Vectric for cad since mine is a router. Great support on both. I wouldn't like to be tied to only plasmaCam for support and upgrades. I heard in the past they were horrible if you didn't buy the machine directly but second hand. They would help if you gave them a big chunk of money. I hear it's better now but not really sure. I also wanted a machine I can repair myself with parts I can get anywhere.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:57 AM

Quote:
H80N,

It's not about weather or not I should buy it, I bought it. It will be on my door step next Wednesday. I'm on the hook already.

Hay, thanks for your comments H80N.

Buying the real thing is $10,000.

PlasmsCam 4x4.
Basic $7,000
Software upgrade $1,000
DHC1 $1,000
DHC2 $1,000

Total $10,000

Gotorch 2x2.
Basic $3000
Software upgrade Free
DHC1 $1,000
DHC2 $1,000

Total $5,000

Table size from 2x2 to 5x10 upgrade $400 to $1600

Have not found any lies, omissions or miss facts on their web site.
Vern

wish you nothing but the best in this adventure...

Monte pointed you in the right direction there with cnczone.... lots and lots of valuable info...

You are right about the plasmacam price being around $10k.... looked up the receipt for my DHC2 4x4 Plasmacam from 2007 and the bottom line was $9372.00 including $392.30 truck shipping (2007 dollars)(this was NOT including the PM-1000 Hypertherm)

as Ironman pointed out... there are a lot of them on the used/unfulfilled market for decent prices...

I am just hoping you get your monies worth.....

Old 09-09-2012, 11:46 AM

Smile

Monte55,

Been there, started that. Yes the builds threads are very inspirational, look here.

This is my build, here. Lots of pictures, videos.

I want to start using one, not build it. Enter, GoTorch, here.

YES, I'M FLIPPING THE COIN. It's still in the air, heads or tails.

Last edited by Vern2; 09-09-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:56 AM

Smile

Question:

What is the version of your standard or upgraded CAD/CAM DesignEdge, running on your PlasmaCam? Find it under >Help>About. Would really like to compare version numbers.