Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 08-02-2012, 03:47 PM
Gadget Girl

as mentioned numerous times all ready.

Each particular project needs/could use it's own particular piece of equipment..

I've found as late on The mail box that I use Betzy to cut all the pieces..

She is a straight shooter and once the blades get dull and don't want to cut straight I just crank here to about 6000fps and friction saw everything till the blade lets go and/or just plumb wears out..

for long stock Greeny Gobbler (aka Johnson JH) or the cold cut saw SteelMax..

for contour cutting or for longer cuts Betzy (aka DoALL 3613)

for stuff that doesn't have to look pretty or weighs to much for me to move easily I use the A/O torch..

For sheet metal I have numerous shears both hand powered and electric..

I'd say for general fabrication of smaller stuff 3" tubing Greeny or the Maxsteel saw are best..

If I defend myself I am attacked.

My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:14 PM

Lots of good suggestions, I had not considered a band saw but that looks like a truly great idea. I should have stated that I mostly will be cutting angle steel, rod stock and stainless. The stainless will be 18 gauge or thinner to make sinks trays etc. Since I am still honing skills on the stainless I'll wait awhile for a complete fix to that. I kind of like the 4x6 band saws that are stand mounted.

I am going to think about the torch for a while - its good some others out there feel propane is doable. FWIW Acetelyne is the second most explosive gas next to hydrogen. I read a while back that the average static electricity spark is 1,700 greater than is needed to ignite it.

http://www.msha.gov/alerts/hazardsofacetylene.htm

"Ease of ignition: Acetylene is a very easy gas to ignite. In fact, the energy from a static spark capable of igniting acetylene is lower than for any other fuel gas except hydrogen. The ignition energy of acetylene in air is approximately seventeen times lower than that of methane. The static charge developed by walking across a carpet floor on a dry day can be 1700 times greater than that needed to ignite acetylene. When mixed with pure oxygen, the ignition energy of acetylene is almost 100 times lower than it is in air."

Any way Thanks to all!
Old 08-02-2012, 04:20 PM

To get a neutral flame with oxy-acet, the volumetric ratio of oxygen to acetylene is about 1 to 1 (assuming that the surrounding air supplies some of the oxygen needed for combustion).

To get a neutral flame with oxy-propane, the ratio is 3.5 volumes of oxygen to 1 volume of propane (again assuming that the surrounding air supplies some of the oxygen needed for combustion).

Add additional oxygen for cutting and you're going to go through oxygen in a hurry with oxy-propane. I know I do!
Old 08-02-2012, 04:41 PM
Boiler God

I have a 3 or 4 O/A torches, 3 plasma cutters, many many grinders, saws galore, but I'm now holding out for a light sabre, if its good enough for Darth Vadar, its good enough for me.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:05 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by platypus20 View Post
I have a 3 or 4 O/A torches, 3 plasma cutters, many many grinders, saws galore, but I'm now holding out for a light sabre, if its good enough for Darth Vadar, its good enough for me.
Yah you think its cool now but just wait till that baby turns its self on in your pocket.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:39 PM

Default Final decision

So its been a good while I ask the question about metal cutting, I decided on a HF 4x6 bandsaw. I will probably get a torch next but maybe a while off. I have a ring making project because now I am engaged to be married this May. Anyway I used the bandsaw to make Christmas presents of framed family photos and this frame for my girl the places we went over year 2012. Just wanted to say a big thanks to all that answered,..its appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WeldedFrame.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	100923  

Last edited by cutter; 01-23-2013 at 09:36 PM. Reason: remove embedded image; upload attachment
Old 01-23-2013, 09:37 PM
Curmudgeon

FAQ, first item.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 01-23-2013, 10:10 PM

Sorry about that