Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 06-25-2004, 12:22 AM
Banned

Default State of the Art Machine

OK, as near as we can date it, this was the state of the art DC rotary in the mid 1920s, made by General Electric. The machine burned bare rods, coated rods weren't available yet.
I managed to rescue this sweety off the second floor of an abandoned factory with the aid of 4 men and a Case 380 forklift, and a hell of a lot of sweat. It weighs over a ton. Presently, it resides in Pa where one of my semisane buddys is restoring it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mvc-003s.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	260  
Old 06-25-2004, 08:08 AM
Stickman

Thumbs up

That is a dandy! I'll bet that 80 years from now you won't find a machine built today that's worth restoring.
Old 06-25-2004, 11:25 AM
A Man for All Reasons

Franz, when you get it up and running, would you tell us how it does? Thanks for the effort in keeping it.
Old 06-25-2004, 11:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlagKing
Franz, when you get it up and running, would you tell us how it does? Thanks for the effort in keeping it.
Bet the farm on it, I have the privilidge of runnin the first rod on that baby when she comes back alive. I'll probably look like a complete fool burnin it cause I have no idea how that machine controls, and GE SWEARS they never built it.
There's a handle on the end of the welder that shifts the brushes for some reason that I'm still trying to figure out. It may reverse the polarity, but I ain't really sure.
When I found this machine it was buried under 3 feet of other stuff, and had half an inch of wood dust on it from the sanding operation that was done for years in the next room.

I also managed to save some 3/16 wrapped coated rod that was sitting with the machine, definitely strange looking stuff. It looks like they taped the bare rod with a wet coating tape and then baked it dry. Unfortunately, nobody around here remembers those days.