Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 02-04-2009, 02:11 PM
Standard of Excellence

Default Hypertherm 600 problem solved

A wee while back I was having intermittent trouble with my plasma cutter. I had attributed it to a faulty ground clamp (why oh why can't they put decent clamps on metal working equipment from the start???) so I would grind a shiny patch on the steel first and that seemed to work. Then it got worse, so I took the wire off the clamp and sanded that, and that seemed to work for a while, then it got worse and then quit altogether. The picture explaes what I found. The wire where it came out if the ground clamp was completely severd and had been arcing internally for some time, untill it had burned away the last strand. I nee to put a small length of rubber tubing or such over the last bit of wire so it does not do that again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hose reel 004.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	41262  
Old 02-04-2009, 03:10 PM
Director: Fish Seduction

That'll do it I reckon!

Wow...

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 02-04-2009, 04:54 PM

How old is your machine?
Old 02-04-2009, 05:07 PM
Standard of Excellence

10 yearsish. Don't get me wrong I am not saying it was the machines fault or poor quality or anything like that, just a pain! The quality comment with the ground clamps applies more to my MM welders that all came with that stamped steel POS clamp that does nothing but cause problems, until I figured out to just replace them with the brass/copper 300 amp jobs.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:35 PM
Director: Fish Seduction

Ya know, on my HH175 I was fortunate that it didn't have a clamp on it when I picked it out of it's hole in the pawn shop. The first thing I did was install a heavy clamp and I've never had a problem since.

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 02-04-2009, 11:05 PM
Elite Member

I think the clamp on my MM251 sucks. The one that came with the Maxstar 150 is pretty good actually. It at least has a braided wire between the jaws to double your chances of a good ground. I just put a new magnetic switch ground clamp on my Bobcat 250, the other one had been run over one too many times. I'll have to see how it lasts, I hope it does, I do allot of pipe with it, so it is handy to slap on there instead of trying to clamp onto a piece of pipe. 2 3/8 is the max most clamps will do with some fidgeting.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:42 PM
Drivin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt View Post
I'll have to see how it lasts, I hope it does, I do allot of pipe with it, so it is handy to slap on there instead of trying to clamp onto a piece of pipe. 2 3/8 is the max most clamps will do with some fidgeting.
What most of the rig welders on the crews I worked with used for a pipe ground, was a piece of re-bar (or something similar) bent into a horseshoe shape with the ends slightly flared out, and a bolt welded on top to connect to the eye on the ground cable.Different sizes for different pipe diameters,quick to slap on the pipe, and relatively quick to change. Cheap to make. too.

Dave
Some air tools,fair selection of hand tools,and other "stuff"

The difference between genius and stupidity, is that genius has limits. Albert Einstein
Old 02-05-2009, 01:38 AM
Tender Member

When a company puts cheap clamps on the welder or plasma then thats there way of saving a little money. The best factory clamp that I have seen on a machine was the one on my 350P. I still replaced it with a cooper clamp. The only thing was the cooper clamp was hard to open (still is) but atleast I know it is a good tight ground, and it does get very hot when welding 300+ amps for awhile.

I looked into buying the HOG clamp that looks like a 11R vise grip will a cooper pad on one side, but it was just as cheap as the factory clamp, so I passed on it.

Hypertherm 600
HH125 EZ
MM 350P
TB 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade Tree Welder View Post
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:48 AM
Project Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace4059 View Post
I still replaced it with a cooper clamp. The only thing was the cooper clamp was hard to open (still is) but atleast I know it is a good tight ground, and it does get very hot when welding 300+ amps for awhile.
Got a picture of that thing and maybe a part #?

Millermatic 200 w/ SKP-35 Spot Pulse Weld Panel, Tweco MIG-GUN #2, running ER70S-6 .035 wire on CO2, Spoolmatic 1 Spool Gun
Old 02-05-2009, 02:37 AM
Tender Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paychk View Post
Got a picture of that thing and maybe a part #?
here is a pic of one
https://weldingsupply.securesites.co...+Ground+Clamps
the part number is GC-300 off of weldingsupply website, your LWS part number maybe different cost is about $25. and I have 3/0 cable on the 350P (20 ft)
That clamp is a little more than what you need on a plasma cutter.
I burned my hand once (through the glove) on it when welding 1/2" pipe with 400+ amps. I grabbed it after welding for about 2 hours. But the clamp is now all sorts of pretty colors.
Attached Images

Hypertherm 600
HH125 EZ
MM 350P
TB 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade Tree Welder View Post
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist.