Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 01-18-2017, 11:38 AM
Elite Member

Yesterday I decided to attempt repairing the radiator. After removing a few more of the cooling fins around the cracked tube, I cleaned the repair site with a small stainless wire brush, and cleaned it with 91% rubbing alcohol.

Then I had to decide what material to use for the repair. I finally decided that I would use the Harris Alcore flux cored aluminum solder. Prior to soldering, I placed rags that had been soaked in cold water at the point where the radiator cores were soldered/brazed to the plastic tank.

My first attempt resulted in failure because some contaminant bubbled up through the solder. It left tiny holes in the repair. The stuff that bubbled through the solder was a really thick dark brown substance. I am thinking that this stuff might be some of the stop leak junk he put in it, but not sure.

My second attempt was about the same as the first, except there appeared to be less of the brown gunk that bubbled through. After removing the solder from the second attempt, I heated the area several times hoping that whatever it was would dry up, or be too thick to travel.

The third attempt turned out rather well. After it cooled I plugged the inlet and outlet, and applied 15 psi with my radiator tester. While under pressure I sprayed the entire radiator with soapy water...........no leaks detected.

I called him and left a message hoping that he had not installed a new radiator yet. I will give this one back to him hoping that it will work under regular operating conditions. I am just hoping that the Alcore can survive all the expansion and contraction cycles from heating and cooling............thanks again for all your suggestions.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:43 AM
Lord of the Minions

Pat the Alcor prod can produce some good results as you've done.
For me I have now started refusing fixing these for others as i hate the moans and bitching a year later when their POS starts leaking again even in another spot. But i will help someone out of a jam lol

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!

Last edited by LW Hiway; 01-20-2017 at 05:54 AM.
Old 01-20-2017, 02:07 PM
Elite Member

Hi LW,

I was going to use some Lucas/Milhaupt AL-802 but decided on the Alcor because I have found that the AL-802 has a higher fluid temperature than what their specs says it should be.

I was also thinking about trying a product called Stic-Tite that someone gave me a while back. It is distributed by the Barbee Company. It looks like nylon string, and is supposed to seal radiator leaks on all metals (I think). I have not used this on anything yet because it really does not seem like it would last very long. Kind of like a hot glue gun type of stuff.

I hear you on repairing things for people. I also do not mind helping people out, and enjoy learning in the process.
Old 01-20-2017, 04:50 PM
Lord of the Minions

Pat, the hiperformance folk that run these expensive built radiator systems for cooling coolant and as well as intercooler systems is no problem for me what so ever. these beasts you can tig with ease. lol

I do a lot of Al fuel tank work as well for boaters and go faster guys as well.

Of course, I get contacted during the week and they have to wait till Friday for me to get to my shop. If they want me to fix. Usually do as my shop rate can beat any other shop due to my 'no' over head except time and materials needed.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!